Dungeons and Dragons MMORPG

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Kurtok
Sojourner

Dungeons and Dragons MMORPG

Postby Kurtok » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:32 pm

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/overView/gameID/163

Its coming. Dungeons and Dragons online. The graphical true equivalent of Sojourn/Toril. So, what's everyone's take on it? What's everyone's plans?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:36 pm

They'll screw it up. :P I don't like Turbine software, and never have. It's gonna be another D&D movie, cept it's game I think. :P

But who knows, it's still really really early on, so they may pull a rabbit out of their collective hats and do a really good game. So I may end up eating my words, but I just don't see them doing it well at all.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:49 pm

After playing AC2 there's utterly no way in hell I'd play anything they made. They totally destroyed that game and refuse to let it die. Not sure how they managed to get Middle Earth Online and D&D online.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
kragt
Sojourner

Postby kragt » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:58 pm

Because Microsoft won't be in charge of MEO and D&D online. Turbine does some good work, when they don't have Microsoft callin the shots.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:17 am

Old news. But still interesting news.

Lots of questions about how they're going to adapt the rules to work in an MMORPG though. If they're able to pull it off, they'll probably be the first MMORPG where the tank types can actually do damage and the divine spellcasting classes aren't total wusses in combat.

If nothing else, the Eberron campaign setting they're using for the game is really cool. It has all the stuff you'd expect in a DnD setting, but then adds and twists it to have a different feel (OMG, drow that aren't matriarchal and don't worship spiders?!?). The stuff they added in to the core material is neat (ie, feats that allow monks to treat longswords and spears, weapons that are associated with martial arts, as monk weapons) and the warforged, partially organic and sentient constructs, are a cool player race (bit difficult for them to get out of their armor if they need to swim though, seeing as how it's basically their skin). The whole setting has a kind of pulp/noir feel with a touch of Jules Verne.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:36 pm

You played Eberron Trel? Curious how it plays, been reading about it since I saw they put it up on wizards.com, wondering how it plays. Might pickup the campaign setting for it later this weekend, dunno.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:48 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:You played Eberron Trel? Curious how it plays, been reading about it since I saw they put it up on wizards.com, wondering how it plays. Might pickup the campaign setting for it later this weekend, dunno.

I haven't played it myself. My schedule typically doesn't conincide with my friends that play D&D, so most of my source books don't get used much. My friends have though and have mentioned some of the things in their campaign.

It's really dependent on the DM and players. There's A LOT of flavor and twists to the setting, but how much of it you see depends on the campaign and where it heads (literally in some cases if you make traveling around a part of the setting and indulge in the Indiana Jones style of play). The DM has come up with interesting things with pulp adventure style villains with hidden allegiances and conspiracies and a doomsday device of sorts. I think he's had the party interact with three different evil power groups that are also at odds with each other with regards to said doomsday device (one of the groups happens to act as the fuel for the device and doesn't seem to get to do as much though). The players have taken advantage of the support for non-standard character options "out of the box." One of them plays a telepath, another is a cleric of an evil deity but interprets things in a more neutral way, and another is using one of the new races in the book for their character.

I'd highly suggest looking through the section or chapter on campaign styles in the book to get an idea of how you can make it play. It does a good job of describing ways a DM can take the setting.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:02 pm

A little bump here, an interview with one of the designers.
Fayren
Sojourner

Postby Fayren » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:49 am

I was at Turbine Nation this past summer - and saw some of the projected game play for D&D online. The guy who created the new environment (Eberron) was also there as a guest speaker - and he is involved in the creating the online game - so it is as true as possible to his creation.

Here is a link that is a write up - about the Turbine Nation events: http://dnd.warcry.com/scripts/news/view ... 7&id=27647

He ran a table top game - it was by lottery - I applied but did not get picked.

With any luck this will be a good game - that is produced by Turbine, Wizards of the Coast and Atari.

Fayren

Return to “General Discussion Archive”