Google Site Indexing

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
kwirl
Sojourner

Google Site Indexing

Postby kwirl » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:02 pm

I am doing some data entry for a web site, and the owner of the site is rather frustrated with his web developer. The site is written in php, and uses a database to control product placement, etc.

It is my understanding that this pretty much means that google won't find any of this information when it spiders the site, right? Also, since he uses php on the site, the actual index.html within the main directory shows as having been unchanged for almost 9 months.

Now the site, www.allclassics.com, doesn't really show up at all when you search for the items that the site features, and his only way is paid click-through advertising.

Does anyone have any suggestions on making the site more google-friendly in terms of indexability? Even the photos aren't being indexed by google, which is really frustrating, to say the least.

Thanks guys :)

-kwirl
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:13 pm

Hey Kwirl,

I've been into Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for about a year now, the only suggestion I can provide for the SEO of dynamic pages is to drastically cut down on the time it takes to serve the pages.

This is especially true for google; the most important thing you can do is to not bore the googlebots with slow service times.

There are generally two major approaches to this, the first is that if the site is highly dynamic with a lot of database overhead and inclusions you're likely going to have to live with the fact that the dynamic pages are just too slow for the spiders. If forced to wait, they get board and the google dispatcher retasks them.

However; this does not mean that the most important part of the site, the entry/index page cannot indexed appropriately. Usually, entry pages need little in the way of dynamic content and can be made with simple html or any of it's dynamic children if you wish. This provides the benefit of google crawling the most important part of oyur sight and allows you to rely upon the benefits of backlinking and pagerank. Then all oyu need to to is get links on important web directories with pagerank 10, and viola!!!

The second approach revolves around the benefits of intel's hyperthreading and parralel processing server technologies. This involves more complex PHP code, but allows for each request for IO and "include assembly" to be done in a threaded manner. This will drastically cut down on service times but drastically increase CPU loads under even normal opperating conditions.

Ultimately, the choice is oyurs, but there are many SEO consultants that can provide you with an effective, profession, yet costly solution.

I've had some succeess in the past with both techniques, and the average pagerank for my sites is often between 5-8... which is pretty good concidering some major news sites only weigh in at PR 8.

Good luck,

and have them start googling PHP SEO, PHP Seach Engine Optimization, and SEO tutorial... there are tons of good resources out there use them.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”