dragon roar V lion roar

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Demuladon
Sojourner

dragon roar V lion roar

Postby Demuladon » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:47 am

I'm reading a non-p/correct book at the moment called "Death in the Long Grass" by an african trophy hunter named Chapstick.. on p42

"My mind went over the lion charges I had met before: the quick jerking of the tail tuft, the paralyzing roar, and the low, incredibly fast rush, bringing the white teeth in the center of bristling mane closer in a blur of speed."

If something the size of a lion, in a 1 on 1 situation, in 12ft grass (with low visibility) can roar an experienced hunter to paralysis then a young dragon would have no problem in a similar situation. However the same hunter on a flat plain with lion in sights at 300yards would be pretty much impervious to a roar. If there were 15 hunters on the plain all armed with .470 Evans double-express rifles loaded with soft-points and pockets full with spare cartridges, then they won't be too worried about a lions roar.

Similarly on a flat plain, 15 prepared battle hardened heros who are armed to the teeth with sizzling light swords and flaming bow's wearing deleted uranium armor aren't going to scare very easily - a "lion sized" young dragon will have little hope of inducing panic in the group at the start of the fight.

tbc
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:39 am

Agreed, for a lion-size beast, or a baby/small young dragon perhaps, these points would seem valid.

The environment and location you are in would certainly be big facotrs, as would the size and how well prepared the hunting party is.

For even a young dragon however, it's roar, aura, magic, intellect, viciousness and size would soon make it the top-of-the-food-chain feared beast it's kind is reknowned for.
Especially those with chaotic, evil, malicious type alignment and tendencies.

Once grown to, say at least 3 or 4 times the size of a large lion, its advantages and danger would really tip the scales, especially in a surprise-type situation.

Thereafter, too, the beast would also learn to really develop and project its dragonfear and enhance its battle prowess, to really give even the most prepared and equipped party a hard time if required.

That said, only the large adults, somewhat experienced (and angry or provoked) wyrms would really start to develop the highest levels of destructive power in all such capabilities, especially in succeeding at massively damaging combinations of battle manouvres.

There would also be some random factors involved which have a bearing on actual effectiveness of any such abilities, regardless of a beast's age, prowess and size.
BEER
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:11 pm

Definitely agree that as the animal (dragon!) get's bigger the more damage it is capable of, and the more "fear" it will generate in the onlooker.

For example African bull elephants average 5-6tons and might be comparable in size with a large dragon. From p80 Chapstick

(*warning* non-pleasant subject matter follows...)

"The strain of elephant hunting in the heavy bush and long grass was enough to wear down even the gutsiest of the pros after a while. Many good ivory hunters lost their lives along with their nerves when just one tembo too many came thundering down on them. A typical case was that of Billy Pickering, who shot one of the best tuskers on record, almost 200 pounds of ivory on each side. The very next day after his triumph, he drew a bead on another bull, which charged him after a shift in the wind. His gunbearer later reported that although Pickering raised and aimed the rifle, he seemed paralyzed and did not fire as the elephant barreled down on him. Pickering must have known what fate had up her sleeve for him since he never even tried to run. For openers. the bull literally ripped Billy's head from him body, pitching it quite a respectable distance away in the bush, where it was later found by a fellow hunter name Clarke, sent to scoop up the remains. Strangely Clarke, who was an old hand himself, had a similar thing happen to him a short while later. He was about to ventilate a nice bull from a canoe, a relatively safe position, but could not force his finger to press the trigger. Although the bull never saw him and did not charge, that afternoon wrapped up Clarke's hunting career. He never fired another shot."
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:15 pm

Last I remember, and I could be wrong, in D&D the dragon's roar instilled a magically induced fear, not a natural one. While I think that a baby dragon would have less chance of affecting somebody with the roar, it would still be involve a greater reaction than natural fear.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Grunelda
Sojourner

Postby Grunelda » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:35 pm

Magically induced or Natural - do undead "feel" fear? In my experience on 5-6 dragon fights now my pets flee !save. Hard to find a log where I am not getting the message "You have now followers to order" or whatever.

Why would undead fear?
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:32 pm

Like I said before, make it type and level dependant.

Hatchlings could have paralysing fear...ie chance to stun. Players wouldnt necessarily go running off willy dilly into the bush. Hardy players might not even be affected at all. (see my post about dragon xp points)

Larger brood would have higher chance of stun and could get the weaker players or small groups to scatter.

Larger still and the roar is fairly effective, unnerving most casters and even shaking the battle hardened warriors.

The great wyrms should have a roar to match all their power and ferocity. Definitely a large chance for all characters to flee, perhaps more than one room even. Only the most battle hardened, courageous players with the aid of powerful magic/items would stand the full onslaught of this deadly wind. Something the dragon shouldnt do every other round tho, or its just a dice game/meat grinder and nobody is gonna ever bother again with them.

Obviously, none of the lesser dragonkind should have a roar of this magnitude. Some of them might be pretty scary tho..

Just my two cents.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:34 pm

I think Ash has a point that really can't be argued here, guys. This is a mythical realm filled with mythical creatures. This realm also defies the laws of physics and "known" reality on a constant basis. I mean...if a man had a fireball tossed at his face and was hit by it, he'd probably either die straight off the bat, or he'd be in such pain for, quite possibly, days. So, even the lower circle fireball would be able to completely disable humanoid in it's path...yet it only does like 70 damage or so :) How fun would the game be then? How about hamstring? If I were to hamstring something, I could just walk a few feet backwards and just throw rocks at its head until it died while I was in no danger at all. Again, this would be no fun. Toril != real life, Lions != baby dragons.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"

Return to “General Discussion Archive”