Terry Shiavo

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:06 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Sarvis wrote:<b>Teflor</b>

Bullshit.

Sarvis, you'd have to understand both creationism and darwinism in order to make this kind of call.

Unfortunatly, like so many other liberals, you are ignorant of both.

Teflor, stop. Think.

Just for a second. Try it out.

The theories are NOT compatible. Creationism is specifically the belief that the bible is true word for word. This means that all known animals were created instantly by god, because that is what the Bible says. It also means the world is 6k years old, which does not leave enough time for evolution to happen.

There is an attempt to combine the two theories out there, which is called Intelligent Design. However that is NOT Creationism, it is Intelligent Design... a theory oft criticized by both sides.

If you wanna get schooled go here: http://www.darwintalk.com/message-board ... um.php?f=2

I spend a lot of time there a couple years ago, and there's some incredibly smart people who have spent entirely too much time thinking about this stuff.

They at least understand the differences between the theories, and maybe can explain to you why they aren't compatible.

Though on an off thought I think I know what you were intending to say. Evolution DOES allow for a divine creation of the world. However Creationism does not allow for evolution, and certain parts of Evolution conflict with Creationism.

Creationism: The theory that the Bible is the literal truth, meaning that God created the Earth in 7 days, 6000 years ago and then created all the animals on it to serve Adam.

Evolution: The theory that animals evolved over millions of years into their current forms.

6K old earth and million year evolution are not compatible.

All animals created by God not compatible with animals evolving over time.

Even though evolution isn't techinically a theory of how the world was created, they are incompatible.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:14 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Shevarash wrote:Second, we can not allow discussion of illegal activities or subjects that are distasteful or offensive to large segments of the population.

Anyhow, discussion of terry Schiavo's case is perfectly acceptable, so feel free to carry on with that.

I don't understand. Isn't the crux of the discussion that a large segment of the population considered it morally wrong and distasteful to allow Terry to die? Shouldn't this discussion, then, be just as unacceptable? I'm sure there's someone out there offended by people saying it was right to pull the feeding tube.

The problem with trying to moderate based on morals is that the lines can get very fuzz, very fast.

Allow me to clarify for those who do not seem to be able to understand. Please don't discuss anything TorilMUD could be shut down, sued, attacked, or anything garnering national or regional negative attention for.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:15 pm

Sarvis wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:
Sarvis wrote:<b>Teflor</b>

Bullshit.

Sarvis, you'd have to understand both creationism and darwinism in order to make this kind of call.

Unfortunatly, like so many other liberals, you are ignorant of both.

Teflor, stop. Think.

Just for a second. Try it out.

The theories are NOT compatible. Creationism is specifically the belief that the bible is true word for word. This means that all known animals were created instantly by god, because that is what the Bible says. It also means the world is 6k years old, which does not leave enough time for evolution to happen.

There is an attempt to combine the two theories out there, which is called Intelligent Design. However that is NOT Creationism, it is Intelligent Design... a theory oft criticized by both sides.

If you wanna get schooled go here: http://www.darwintalk.com/message-board ... um.php?f=2

I spend a lot of time there a couple years ago, and there's some incredibly smart people who have spent entirely too much time thinking about this stuff.

They at least understand the differences between the theories, and maybe can explain to you why they aren't compatible.

Though on an off thought I think I know what you were intending to say. Evolution DOES allow for a divine creation of the world. However Creationism does not allow for evolution, and certain parts of Evolution conflict with Creationism.

Creationism: The theory that the Bible is the literal truth, meaning that God created the Earth in 7 days, 6000 years ago and then created all the animals on it to serve Adam.

Evolution: The theory that animals evolved over millions of years into their current forms.

6K old earth and million year evolution are not compatible.

All animals created by God not compatible with animals evolving over time.

Even though evolution isn't techinically a theory of how the world was created, they are incompatible.

Bullshit. Thank you for being an extremist idiot.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:56 pm

Teflor1:

TorilMUD is more likely to garner national attention for causing children to go on killing sprees, in much the same way GTA and D&D have, than to garner national attention because people were talking about the best way to deal with teaching children about sex.

Teflor2:

I love the facts you bring to the table, all while screaming about how liberals are ignorant of them.

The funny thing is, you're the only self-desribed liberal in this thread.

But maybe you'd care to explain how the theory that the earth is only 6000 years old is compatible with the theory that it would take millions of years to evolve from a fish into a slightly different kind of fish?

No, I'm sure you'd rather just call me ignorant again. Go ahead.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:05 pm

Sarvis:

Stop trying. Be content with the fact that everyone reading the thread knows you're right.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:11 pm

Ragorn wrote:Sarvis:

Stop trying. Be content with the fact that everyone reading the thread knows you're right.

Rags:

Please don't speak for everyone.

Pril
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:27 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Allow me to clarify for those who do not seem to be able to understand. Please don't discuss anything TorilMUD could be shut down, sued, attacked, or anything garnering national or regional negative attention for.

I don't think that's the issue. The issue is, it's their board. They decide how they want it. If they don't want us to talk about fuzzy kittens, then as guests, we should honor their request.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:31 pm

Pril wrote:
Ragorn wrote:Sarvis:

Rags:

Please don't speak for everyone.

Pril

Pril:

Please don't include me in your everyone.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:44 pm

Teflor, Sarvis, go somewhere else to debate the things you'd like to debate. This BBS is literally tired of the two of you bickering. As stated in previous thread(s) TAKE IT OFF THE BBS and off anything remotely connected to this MUD.

If I have to get one more complaint because of what either of you says to the other I will remove your account(s). Several people have complained about your specific posts/threads more than *any* other people who post here.

2000+ registered users and you two are the source of more requests for censoring than any other poster.

To all the others of you who have read this thread and contributed to it in the manner allowed, thank you for being patient. To *all* others who may not enjoy being "censored" by being on this BBS, cope or quit. The staff in their majority have asked me repeatedly to just get rid of the garbage-posters. I'd like it not to come down to that, but if it is about losing a few posters vs. losing a few staff, well, let's just say my decision is already made.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:09 pm

Shar wrote:Teflor, Sarvis, go somewhere else to debate the things you'd like to debate. This BBS is literally tired of the two of you bickering. As stated in previous thread(s) TAKE IT OFF THE BBS and off anything remotely connected to this MUD.

If I have to get one more complaint because of what either of you says to the other I will remove your account(s). Several people have complained about your specific posts/threads more than *any* other people who post here.

2000+ registered users and you two are the source of more requests for censoring than any other poster.

To all the others of you who have read this thread and contributed to it in the manner allowed, thank you for being patient. To *all* others who may not enjoy being "censored" by being on this BBS, cope or quit. The staff in their majority have asked me repeatedly to just get rid of the garbage-posters. I'd like it not to come down to that, but if it is about losing a few posters vs. losing a few staff, well, let's just say my decision is already made.

Yeah, threaten to kick people off the MUD altogether. Because it's doing so well at recruiting new players!

Please delete my account. I can't do it myself. Go ahead, follow through with your threat.

After all, I discussed something not stated in the original topic line. Bad me. That must piss everyone off, right?

Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:11 pm

If your tone is like that of the post above, yes.

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:35 pm

Shar:

I poke because I love. But free speech on the Toril boards just isn't a moral, yes moral, issue for me, so I happily bow out to avoid getting pwned.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:45 pm

Ragorn, you poke because you like to see yourself talk, but I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with is having to babysit adults constantly on this BBS because they refuse to work within LONG established guidelines. The way you mock is funny, yes funny and I think it great that you, yes you, can poke fun in a playful, yes playful manner.

Moral issues, yes moral issues, are a touchy subject. Hard to decide what goes and what stays. That fun job is luckily not yours, but mine. So I do what the other Forgers and staff see fit to do.

Now, be like Corth and keep it in your sig if you want it but making it a point in every post will get old, yes, old for all of us to read.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:05 am

Kossuth couldn't have 'handled' this better!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:12 am

damn damn damn .. gotta hit the twizzler aisle now

DAMN you Daz!!!
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:11 am

Well, Sarvis seems to be taking a break from the BBS. Still have to say he was considerably less annoying than Teflor. But i guess i'm not that lucky.

And btw, Sarvis had a point there. The theories ARE incompatable. I think everyone understands that tho. And those two especially just love seeing their text on a BBS and having someone to argue with. Spend less time typing and more time reading (hopefully something more educational than a MUD bbs)
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:43 am

Sarvis wrote:No, I'm sure you'd rather just call me ignorant again. Go ahead.

You're ignorant.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:17 am

Sarvis wrote:Teflor1:

TorilMUD is more likely to garner national attention for causing children to go on killing sprees, in much the same way GTA and D&D have, than to garner national attention because people were talking about the best way to deal with teaching children about sex.

I was merely explaining what Shevarash said about what was in appropriate for the BBS.
Last edited by teflor the ranger on Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:18 am

Sarvis wrote:Teflor2:

I love the facts you bring to the table, all while screaming about how liberals are ignorant of them.

The funny thing is, you're the only self-desribed liberal in this thread.

I'm a self-described liberal because I stupidly believe that ignorance can be fought.

Using www.darwin-talk.com as a source to describe creationism is like using www.badpig.com to describe law enforcement.

Creationism is not a word for word theory of Genesis or strict literal interpretation of the bible. Most religious leaders agree that the bible was never meant to be strictly interpreted.
Last edited by teflor the ranger on Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:33 am

Shar:

I have no love for being told to shut up and I have no love for being threatened with deletion.

I'm sure you wouldn't either.

I understand the intent is to reduce flaming and hijacking. But this...
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:10 pm

Teflor, I didn't threaten you with deletion. I told you straight up that you crossed a line and I would remove your BBS account(s). If you don't like it, stop posting these types of things or leave the BBS. Your comments are usually rude, inflamitory and more often than not, abrasive. They are very rarely useful or polite.

Everyone has to use this BBS with the same guidelines. Others do it quite nicely. Others simply do not.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:36 am

To be honest Shar, complaining to you about what other members post may well have been more effective than arguing with them in a public forum. I look forward to this strict enforcement and agree to abide by actively enforced rules.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”