Xenophobia

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Xenophobia

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:59 am

While defined as being unduly fearful of foreign or unusual persons, I do have to say that I've found xenophobia to be more of a logical yet groundless extension of valid fears.

In this country, we have it good. We get along because we follow a system of law that we all know and are comfortable with. We do business according to business law, we pay taxes according to tax law, we live and work and play knowing what the rules are, what we can and cannot do, so forth and so on.

Foreigners see the success of our system and long to join us in America.

Some come along and learn the law, play by the rules, and grow quite successful themselves.

Xenophobia comes in where people come just to take advantage of the nation's success without actually becoming a functional member of society. They don't know the rules, don't play by them, don't respect them at all. There are people who bring all the practices and behaviors that made where they came from so lousy and import them straight into our nation.

Tell me this is good.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:10 am

Call me xenophobic but i can't stand that woman down the street from my parent's house in queens who walks around in a burka.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:16 am

Corth wrote:Call me xenophobic but i can't stand that woman down the street from my parent's house in queens who walks around in a burka.

As long as she doesn't try to operate heavy machinery in it.
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:58 am

Xenophobia is an extension of people's desire for things not to change. In a theoritical sense it is the most extreme form of conservatism.

I agree with you about how we have it good in this country, but I disagree with you on how you came to those conclusions. The law keeps a variable majority of criminal elements in check that allows the rest of us "ethical" people to live our lives in harmony with each other. It's our freedoms that make this place a good place to live - not the laws in themselves.

You are being unfair in your assessment that foreigners with the motive to be criminal are the reason for the xenophobia. Being a criminal is not the only factor that attributes to xenophobia - sterotyping is another. Caucasians and blacks have plenty of criminal individuals to distribute throughout the US demographic.

Sterotyping can be defined as a pyschological attempt to catagorize a subset of people that are different than yourself. Thus, we are right back at the concept of resisting change and fear of things we don't understand.

You may want to re-evaluate how you interprete things as :

teflor the ranger wrote:There are people who bring all the practices and behaviors that made where they came from so lousy and import them straight into our nation.

is bordering on prejudice. We are a country of transplants.

The only people who can trace their heritage back 20 or more generations to this land are the native americans (thus their name). Everyone else came from another continent. To say, that the country is going to hell because of all the immigrants is ignoring where the vast majority of our population came from just a hundred years ago.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:02 am

It'd help if certain transplants would pay taxes, drive insured, or wouldn't scream bloody rape when they're disliked by others.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:03 am

Please stop arguing with Teflor. Do you think that if you were ever completely right and proved it without a doubt, he'd submit? No. And especially not on these squishy topics. I'd debate with you and we might get some where, but we agree. So... what the hell.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:04 am

I'd like to see you get there first.
Ensis
Sojourner

Re: Xenophobia

Postby Ensis » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:16 am

I know I'm a way a lot...when did Sarvis pass the torch to Teflor :D
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Teflor was always vying for it. . .it took Sarvis walking away quietly as the champ to let Teflor have an open door. :p
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:01 pm

i get a lot of xenophobia every time i shudder to think of ever being on trial.

a jury of your peers... somebodies peers im sure....
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:47 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Foreigners see the success of our system and long to join us in America.

Above line is funny, don't ask why.

--

Americans should travel more. The impression you get of america is totally ruined when you sit down and talk to a normal american.

I guess that goes for a lot of things.

Here in Denmark we haven't really had immigration untill 30 years ago. Now there is racism here. The wierd statistic is though that the fewer immigrents there are in an area the more racist people are.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:45 am

Disoputlip wrote:The wierd statistic is though that the fewer immigrents there are in an area the more racist people are.

Perhaps the more outwardly racist. But the problem with those with less exposure to outside cultures is that they are fundamentally ignorant of them.

People in areas with many foreigners are no less racist, but they sure do a much better job of being sneakier with their opinions.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:28 am

Mitharx wrote:Please stop arguing with Teflor. Do you think that if you were ever completely right and proved it without a doubt, he'd submit? No. And especially not on these squishy topics. I'd debate with you and we might get some where, but we agree. So... what the hell.

Exactly...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:35 am

Kifle wrote:
Mitharx wrote:Please stop arguing with Teflor. Do you think that if you were ever completely right and proved it without a doubt, he'd submit? No. And especially not on these squishy topics. I'd debate with you and we might get some where, but we agree. So... what the hell.

Exactly...

Yeah, but you guys would be the type that could only get along with those you agree with.

It's called being close-minded.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:30 am

Xenophobia was the coolest nintendo game. That blaster you got on the 2nd level rocked. Only bested by Uncle festers quest!
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:36 am

Close-minded? You're hilarous. The reason we know better than to argue with you is because you are close-minded. You're a huge fan of saying "You don't know" and repeating it over and over as if that's a good reason to not have strong opinions on an issue that is ultimately unknowable for several reasons (see that brilliant ooc conversation I had with you). And the sad part is you don't know and you have very strong opinions on the issue. In most tough conversations there are no winners. It's an exchange of ideas and a chance to learn or expand, but you've already got all the answers. Why even waste your time on the boards?

You think you're right all the time and will not change your mind (see terrorism thread) despite what ever good arguments people will throw at you. You repeat your talking points and continue on as if you won when most everyone I talk to monitoring that thread says people just made you look bad. So, what is the point in discussing things with you?

Live in your own world. Enjoy it, but understand that just because people won't indulge your seemingly never ending stream of talking points, it doesn't mean they're close-minded. It simply means they don't want to waste their time on you.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:28 pm

The funny thing, Mitharx, is that your opinion has no bearing whatsoever on what is true.

Furthermore, how is it an exchange if you feel so strongly that you are right that you ignore an never ending stream of talking points?

It's your little world. Not mine.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:38 pm

Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:20 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:The funny thing, Mitharx, is that your opinion has no bearing whatsoever on what is true.

Furthermore, how is it an exchange if you feel so strongly that you are right that you ignore an never ending stream of talking points?

Teflor, a never ending stream of talking points isn't an exchange. It's not a matter of being so assured of being right. It just seems that you're really not interested in others points of view. So, why debate and why challenge?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:51 pm

Mitharx wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:The funny thing, Mitharx, is that your opinion has no bearing whatsoever on what is true.

Teflor, a never ending stream of talking points isn't an exchange. It's not a matter of being so assured of being right. It just seems that you're really not interested in others points of view. So, why debate and why challenge?

I'm taunting the wise and the silent to get up.

So many people are afraid to speak their opinion these days, mostly because it will become lost in a crowd of extremists and idiots, and I don't blame them for keeping quiet.

But I'd like to hear it.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:22 pm

:P
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:23 am

ROFL Rylan!
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:59 pm

american's are close minded and arrogant. so the f*ck what?

if no one around the world is willing to do anything (japan in east asia, france anywhere) then it might as well be us. All these critics what do they do besides criticize? If someone else in the world (besides the UK) would get off their ass and actually do something in the interests of helping other than talk at a conference then I'll start respecting their opinions/countries more.

and thats why I like George Bush. right or wrong hes trying to do something. Clinton sat around and did nothing as 800,000 rwandans were killed in Africa. you know god damn well Bush would do something, right or wrong he would make the effort.

in the end it doesn't matter what you do. people are going to talk shit about #1 and people are going to criticize anything thats done and the media is more than happy to give a brainless retard a forum in which to do so.
Tivis
Sojourner

Postby Tivis » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:08 pm

and thats why I like George Bush. right or wrong hes trying to do something. Clinton sat around and did nothing as 800,000 rwandans were killed in Africa. you know god damn well Bush would do something, right or wrong he would make the effort.

*cough* Darfur *cough*
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:40 pm

Tivis wrote:

*cough* Darfur *cough*

rofl, nice one Tivus.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm

Tivis wrote:

*cough* Darfur *cough*

*cough* somalia *cough*
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:43 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Tivis wrote:

*cough* Darfur *cough*

*cough* somalia *cough*

Wouldn't that fall under the, "you know god damn well [politician X] would do something, right or wrong he would make the effort."?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:47 pm

Politicians are scum, Avak.
Tivis
Sojourner

Postby Tivis » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:16 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Politicians are scum, Avak.

Honestly, is it fair to scum to group it in the same catagory as politicians?
I think not.
Alabas
Sojourner

Postby Alabas » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:48 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Politicians are scum, Avak.

Heads up teflor, the stereotype police might come back to get you... oh wait, we might have found something that we all largely agree on!

I'm actually a bush fan, god bless my wife - she's wonderful!:)
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:17 pm

Heh. I might by in the minority on this, but I would certainly disagree that politicians are scum. Maybe that's because I just got done with a three day training put on by the Wellstone Foundation, ya know...Paul Wellstone...one of the few Senators that saw through the Bush newspeak machine and voted against the war in Iraq. He died right before being elected to a third term.

Anyway, I would challenge anyone anywhere to call him scum and back it up. Even if you completely disagreed with his positions, scum is about the last word you would have for someone like that and really just illustrates the arrogance that I, among others, have mentioned before.

Honestly, anyone that holds the opinion that politicians are scum really isn't intimately involved in politics. Yes, politicians -can- be scum, even often acting in scummy ways, but our freedom (and I'm directing that particular word to you Teflor) is built upon and maintained by these people you call scum.

You obviously have no idea what kind of pressure every politician of any partisan stripe endures to be a public servant.

There is a glaring irony in being unyieldingly patriotic and a self-proclaimed defender of freedom and calling the agents of political representation in our country scum.

If you don't like how things are going in the US, get up from your keyboard and run for a public office. Actions do speaker louder than words.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:27 am

avak wrote:Heh. I might by in the minority on this, but I would certainly disagree that politicians are scum. Maybe that's because I just got done with a three day training put on by the Wellstone Foundation, ya know...Paul Wellstone...one of the few Senators that saw through the Bush newspeak machine and voted against the war in Iraq. He died right before being elected to a third term.

Anyway, I would challenge anyone anywhere to call him scum and back it up. Even if you completely disagreed with his positions, scum is about the last word you would have for someone like that and really just illustrates the arrogance that I, among others, have mentioned before.

Honestly, anyone that holds the opinion that politicians are scum really isn't intimately involved in politics. Yes, politicians -can- be scum, even often acting in scummy ways, but our freedom (and I'm directing that particular word to you Teflor) is built upon and maintained by these people you call scum.

You obviously have no idea what kind of pressure every politician of any partisan stripe endures to be a public servant.

There is a glaring irony in being unyieldingly patriotic and a self-proclaimed defender of freedom and calling the agents of political representation in our country scum.

If you don't like how things are going in the US, get up from your keyboard and run for a public office. Actions do speaker louder than words.

Probably because most of the media's attention is on politcal problems rather then stories about the good things politicians do. I definatly agree there are some really great politictians out there that actully serve the public, talk to the public and above all listen to the public.

Representative Tom Trail from Idaho is one such person. I've witnessed first hand on numerous occasions what a good politician will do when a public issue arises.

Unfortunatly the majority of people don't want to hear about the good things politicians do, and would rather hear all the dirt on politicans they don't agree with so they have more ammo in their arsenal.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:48 pm

avak wrote:Heh. I might by in the minority on this, but I would certainly disagree that politicians are scum. Maybe that's because I just got done with a three day training put on by the Wellstone Foundation, ya know...Paul Wellstone...one of the few Senators that saw through the Bush newspeak machine and voted against the war in Iraq. He died right before being elected to a third term.

You ever heard of sarcasm, Avak?
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:18 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:You ever heard of sarcasm, Avak?

Sarcasm? Is that some kind of deodorant? That would make sense if its what you're using to disguise the fact that your rebuttals stink. So, I use this...sarcasm...when I have nothing else to say? Okay, I'll remember that if I ever find myself in such a position. Thanks for the tip!

/sarcasm
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:20 pm

avak wrote:Sarcasm? Is that some kind of deodorant? That would make sense if its what you're using to disguise the fact that your rebuttals stink. So, I use this...sarcasm...when I have nothing else to say? Okay, I'll remember that if I ever find myself in such a position. Thanks for the tip!

/sarcasm

Don't blame me for your prejudice ignorance.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:08 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Don't blame me for your prejudice ignorance.

Ok, but who do we blame for your command of the English language?

/sarcasm

does that help?
Last edited by avak on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:10 pm

I'm being sarcastic again, Avak. It's also a gramatically correct and properly worded sentance so you might want think about your response.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:28 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:I'm being sarcastic again, Avak. It's also a gramatically correct and properly worded sentance so you might want think about your response.

You're joking, right? Man, all this sarcasm is making me dizzy.

prejudice, n.
ignorance, n.

Ironically, the definition of ignorance is: The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed. Which I find kind of humorous in this case.

Reminds me of the picture of Paris Hilton. Her shirt said, "I'm hot" on the front and on the back, "Your not!"

Priceless.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:35 pm

avak wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:I'm being sarcastic again, Avak. It's also a gramatically correct and properly worded sentance so you might want think about your response.

You're joking, right? Man, all this sarcasm is making me dizzy.

prejudice, n.
ignorance, n.

Ironically, the definition of ignorance is: The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed. Which I find kind of humorous in this case.

Reminds me of the picture of Paris Hilton. Her shirt said, "I'm hot" on the front and on the back, "Your not!"

Priceless.

Really, not joking. Ask your english prof. Well, if you were Kifle. I suppose you could try e-mailing one.
Shiallia
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Shiallia » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:36 pm

What kills me about the post is...sentence has no "a" in it and "you might want think" is missing the "to". Always helps to be grammatically correct when preaching about grammatical correctness, I find.*Snicker*
Valuk
Sojourner

Postby Valuk » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:44 pm

Shiallia wrote:

What kills me about the post is...sentence has no "a" in it and "you might want think" is missing the "to". Always helps to be grammatically correct when preaching about grammatical correctness, I find.*Snicker*

Uhmm...yea...wada!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:45 pm

Shiallia wrote:

Shiallia.. you just don't get it do you.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:47 pm

Shiallia wrote:

Your ignorant!

lol, Shiallia...my thoughts exactly.
Shiallia
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Shiallia » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:47 pm

No more so than you do:) It was a joke, dude...get over yourself.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:47 pm

Stfu losers, I am so much cooler than you are.

Don't mess with me or I'll argue with you over the internet.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:49 pm

avak wrote:
Shiallia wrote:

Your ignorant!

Could you be any dumber?
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:51 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
avak wrote:
Shiallia wrote:

Your ignorant!

Could you be any dumber?

Not sure yet...ask me again in a month. If I'm still replying to your posts, the answer was 'yes.' Uhhh, wait...
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:51 pm

avak wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:
avak wrote:
Shiallia wrote:

Your ignorant!

Could you be any dumber?

Not sure yet...ask me again in a month. If I'm still replying to your posts, the answer was 'yes.' Uhhh, wait...

I get caught in my own idiot traps too.
Shiallia
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Shiallia » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:52 pm

ROFLMAO Thank you guys for the laughs...I was having a rotten day but now it is looking better:)
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:54 pm

You wouldn't want to miss your daily Teflor.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”