Why I kill rattlesnakes.

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Vigis
Sojourner

Why I kill rattlesnakes.

Postby Vigis » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:58 am

Lovely pictures:

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

As an aside, if you ever get bitten by a rattlesnake, your first order of business is to tie a tourniquette above the wound. Don't try to suck the poison out because it doesn't work.

Edited to add: Try to keep the wound above the level of your heart to minimize gravity help pump blood through it and carry the poison further up.

According to this guy's account, the rattlesnake that bit him was about 6 inches longer than the biggest one I have ever come across. (I still have its buttons as a rearview ornament and I ate the meat. . .somebody stole the skin since it was green and green rattlesnakes are pretty rare).

Oh yeah, don't look at the pictures if you get squeamish.

Now, go vote :)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:11 pm

ouch. and, ew! and then ouch some more.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:26 pm

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:01 am

When I lived in NM, I worked with a guy a couple years older than I was doing summer labor for the city. Well, he found himself a baby rattler, probably hadn't hatched but a day or two prior.

He obviously didn't know that even upon hatching, rattlesnakes have plenty of venom to kill in their bite. His arm looks a lot like that kid's as a result. That was about 7 or 8 years ago.

I've had first-hand experiences with rattlesnakes too, and they're scary as hell. I killed a 73" diamondback when I was 14. It was coiled up in the middle of a dirt road out in the boonies, and I didn't even see it until I got about 3 feet from it. The sound of a ton of bees was the next thing that filled the air (the rattle stuff you only hear if it's a small one). Well, it took a little persuasion, but the thing finally moved and I blew its head off with the 20 gauge I was carrying.

Moral of this story? Big gun > rattlesnake.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:16 am

Yasden wrote:When I lived in NM, I worked with a guy a couple years older than I was doing summer labor for the city. Well, he found himself a baby rattler, probably hadn't hatched but a day or two prior.

He obviously didn't know that even upon hatching, rattlesnakes have plenty of venom to kill in their bite. His arm looks a lot like that kid's as a result. That was about 7 or 8 years ago.

I've had first-hand experiences with rattlesnakes too, and they're scary as hell. I killed a 73" diamondback when I was 14. It was coiled up in the middle of a dirt road out in the boonies, and I didn't even see it until I got about 3 feet from it. The sound of a ton of bees was the next thing that filled the air (the rattle stuff you only hear if it's a small one). Well, it took a little persuasion, but the thing finally moved and I blew its head off with the 20 gauge I was carrying.

Moral of this story? Big gun > rattlesnake.

You're a redneck.

<3
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:37 am

You have me confused with Maxler. I haven't lived there since '99.

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Talona
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Talona » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:46 am

As the Lady of Poison, I find this quite pleasurable (in a disgusting sort of way).
Lady of Poison, Mistress of Disease
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:23 pm

Walking down a dirt road chewing on buckwheat oblivious to the world with a 20 gauge in the backpocket of your dirty overalls on your way to your faded blue pick-up truck, with the antlered deer-head on the hood, isn't anything like being a redneck. :)
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:54 pm

You just described 75% of the population of your own state, Llaaly. :)

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:31 pm

Nah-Uh. I didn't say 'Wearing a cowboy hat and toating a 6-shooter, screaming "Yeehah!"'
Last edited by Llaaldara on Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:08 pm

Llaaldara wrote:Nah-Uh. I didn't say 'Wearing a coboy hat and toating a 6-shooter, screaming "Yeehah!"'

I think it'd look good on you.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:21 am

Which state is that??

(Born in the state Yas is sooo happily reminiscing about. :PP)
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:12 am

Lilira wrote:Which state is that??

(Born in the state Yas is sooo happily reminiscing about. :PP)

Texas
Wuva
Sojourner

Postby Wuva » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:59 am

If ever in Texas and in Port Aransas...go to the candy store...There is a display case that contains a live diamond back rattler that has prolly 20 rattlers on it, its the biggest diamond back Ive ever seen and I have seen alot.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:05 am

I've never come across a Western Diamondback other than in a cage or a zoo. Pretty sure that all of the rattlesnakes I have killed have been Timber Rattlers (I know for sure that the green one was).

They are pretty much the same except that a diamondback seems to be a bit uglier (scales are more jagged adapted for sand etc.)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:15 pm

Seriously Ryan, what kinda hich state did you live in where a 14 year old kid runs around with a 20 gauge?
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:03 pm

New Mexico. My dad and I were out dove or quail hunting, I forget which now. I was on my way back to my dad's truck to get a drink when I came across it.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”