Love me or Hate me, I'm flying south for Katrina

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Xolan
Sojourner

Love me or Hate me, I'm flying south for Katrina

Postby Xolan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:28 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I joined the Army (I was previous military) and I have preorders to go to Mississippi to the staging area and help with disaster relief.

I have a minor setback that is being corrected this upcoming week. I was set to leave this upcoming friday to my combat training (reacclimation training) and then forego my MOS to help with the Katrina situation, but I was disqualified for service after the MEPS guys saw my palm tattoo, so they were able to get me in touch with a Virginia Mason Surgery unit that is going to scalpel and laser my palm on THIS wednesday, then I'll take my bloody ass back to meps on friday and get a clear bill of no tattoo and be sent with my bleeding stump to training.

I know I have made alot of friends, and alot of not so friends in my time here, but please keep your thoughts with the big picture and the help I am trying to bring.

I really will miss you all, good and bad.

Our country can pride itself in its ability to harvest people willing to sacrifice their daily lives to help other, even among the harshest of conditions, wars, politics, and strength.

Thanks for reading.

Aaron

PS:

I will try to keep you updated, and if you want to ask me anything you can direct your emails to xolan@comcast.net.

My msn messenger info *which I prolly wont be using for a while after next week* is jorrok@hotmail.com
Last edited by Xolan on Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
To quack or not to quack...

Cah GCC: 'children are fun to piss off, because they can't do anything about it, until they are old enough to hold a gun'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:24 pm

I salute you.

I'm currently looking taking a leave from work for three weeks to volunteer, and am already assisting DAC with getting people prepared. If anyone else out there has a desire or the ability to take that kind of time off I highly suggest getting incontact with your local red cross or salvation army office and see what you can do.

A group in my area is already preparing to mobilize and will be undergoing 15 hours of training next week...These groups will cover the cost of your airfare as well, so it doesnt matter if you clear on the other side of the US (Like me in Washington State).

It's disappointing to see so few people trying to do anything to help...So many, many people provided assistance for Tsunami relief, yet so few really seem to fathom how badly this hurricane has hurt the Gulf and how many people are suffering and will continue to suffer for months to come.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”