E-mail privacy in a company

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Dalar
Sojourner

E-mail privacy in a company

Postby Dalar » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:09 pm

Does anyone know anything about privacy laws (or if there are any) for e-mail? Basically, I'm working as the only IT manager (I started 3 months ago) for a construction firm and we really have no signed policy. The only type of "rules" we have are said in a brief introduction that I give. If I were to say look into another person's e-mail (which I can in MS Outlook by giving myself permission to their mailbox), can they sue me or the company? I know someone knows something on this MUD!

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/ObjectI ... 4/220/ART/
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:53 pm

I don't know what state you are in Dalar, but in most states, it is not illegal, nor can they sue you or the company.

Since the system is company owned, all communication sent along that system is company owned. You might have people leave because they feel that their privacy is being compromised, but there will be nothing that can stand up in court.

The easiest way to make sure that you and your company is protected is to have an email policy written up and presented to all incoming employees. Also, make sure to email it to all current employees and let them know that you can and will be monitoring email in order to make sure it is for company use only. You don't have to monitor it at all, but should something become suspicious, the policy will give you the right to check for any illegal or damaging communication that has been sent via your system.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:38 pm

California

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:39 pm

Vigis wrote:I don't know what state you are in Dalar, but in most states, it is not illegal, nor can they sue you or the company.

Since the system is company owned, all communication sent along that system is company owned. You might have people leave because they feel that their privacy is being compromised, but there will be nothing that can stand up in court.

The easiest way to make sure that you and your company is protected is to have an email policy written up and presented to all incoming employees. Also, make sure to email it to all current employees and let them know that you can and will be monitoring email in order to make sure it is for company use only. You don't have to monitor it at all, but should something become suspicious, the policy will give you the right to check for any illegal or damaging communication that has been sent via your system.

nod, this is pretty much my intent

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Technically, you probably don't need a policy. The courts have ruled pretty consistently that activities conducted at work are not private and belong to the company. However, a formal policy protects the company from most litigation and most companies have one.

What I would suggest is an "acceptable use of computer systems" policy which would govern what activities they are allowed to use computers and an addendum policy "acceptable use of the networks". In the first you state that no non-work related activities are allowed to be conducted on any of the company's computer systems. On the second you state that use of the company's networks and the internet from company equipment is to be used for the company's business purposes only. On both you state that all activities may be recorded, monitored and reported at the company's discretion.

Be careful of stating punishments. Creating a policy then failing to enforce the policy often creates additional liability.

Have HR "train" / inform the employees, they usually do this by distributing a copy of the policy and require a signature.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:13 pm

I should have read the employee handbook. It's all there haha. I feel like Teflor - a noob.

Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:28 pm

Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:11 pm

And general PSA: Don't ever send stuff you don't want anyone you work with to know about at work. Nothing is ever truly gone. While extracting the info for the Enron case, they found volumes of embarassing and hilarious deleted e-mails.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:37 pm

Dalar wrote:I feel like Teflor - a noob.

The noob is quite you all on your own. I already wrote an acceptable use policy. You as bad on the mud as you are on the job?

If you want I can e-mail you a copy. It might help.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:41 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:

The noob is quite you all on your own. I already wrote an acceptable use policy. You as bad on the mud as you are on the job?

I dunno how Brian is at his Job but he's a damn good mudder. What you said is utterly baseless.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:28 am

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

I dunno how Brian is at his Job but he's a damn good mudder. What you said is utterly baseless.

Wouldn't that be the point of responding to an utterly baseless insult, noob?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:28 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

How's it baseless? You are a noob though.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:22 am

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

How's it baseless? You are a noob though.

The noob appears to be you.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:25 pm

I give this thread 2 stars out of 5.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:28 pm

Your being generous.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:36 pm

i agree with corth, 2 stars is to much.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:52 pm

This thread makes the Grammar Nazi shriek.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:18 pm

Corth wrote:Your being generous.

…………………………………….__,,,,,,,---,,,,,,_…………………………………………………………
…………………………_,,,--~’’¯¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯’’-,,_………………………………………………….
…………………….,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯’~,_……………………………………………
…………………,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~-,,………………………………………
……………..,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _,,_ ; ; ;¯’-,…………………………………..
…………..,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’_ ¯’-,\ ; ; ; ; ‘,…………………………………
…………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-~’’’’’~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-‘;;;’, : ;||; ; ; ; ; ‘,……………………………….
……….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘/ :,-~’’~, : ‘,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,-‘ : // ; ; ; ; ; ;’,……………………………..
……..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,| : ‘-,;;;;,-‘ : /’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯’’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,……………………………
…….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,,___,,-~’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,………………………….
…….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,;;’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-………………………….
……,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |…………………………
……| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-‘,;;;;|’’-~ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,…………………………
......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;---,,,,,,,_,,,,-~’’, ‘-,;;;| ,,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,……………………….
……| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯’’~-,,,_ , , , , , , ‘,;,’,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;\……………………….
……| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,~-,, , ,,’’,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,………………………
……’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’-,,¯’’;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,………………………
…….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,_,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,………………………
…….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,……………………..
……..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; \…………………….
………\ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,……………………
……….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|……………………
………..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,………………….
………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,--~~--,, ; ; ; ; ;,--------,, ; ,--~, ; ; ,,-~, ; ;,--,,;,,-~~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ;’,………………..
…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’ . ,,--,, . ‘-, ; ; ; ;| . ,-,, . ‘, | . . | ; ;’-, . .\,,/ . ./’-,,--, . ‘, ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,………………
…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; | . .,’ ; ; ;’, . .| ; ; ; | . .’-‘ . ,-‘ | . . | ; ; ; ‘-, . . .,-‘ ; ;,-‘ . ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,…………….
…………’, ; ; ; ; ; ;’, . ‘-,__,-‘ . ,’ ; ; ; | . .|\ . .\ . | . . |___ ; ;} . . / ; ; ;’----‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,………….
………….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,,_ . ._,,-‘ ; ; ; ; |__| .\__\ ;|_____/ ; ;/__/ ; ; ; ; (¯) ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,…………
…….......’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,………
…………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,,_……
…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

Return to “General Discussion Archive”