Getting reamed in the rectum... need some advice.

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Kifle
Sojourner

Getting reamed in the rectum... need some advice.

Postby Kifle » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:36 pm

No, I'm not asking how to get reamed in the rectum, so this isn't a thread for you arilin.

Anyway, my furnace just recently took a shite and it needs replaced. I've been sitting in the cold for a few days now. I can only keep one small space heater going at a time since adding one more seems to trip the breaker or bust a fuse :(

So, I called a heating contractor and had them come look at the furnace. This was a few days ago. The ad said they had quick 24 hr service; however, it took three calls to actually get a call back during a two day period. Finally, I get a call back at around 12:30 am after placing my last call at 12am. Yes, I did express that I have three kids and no heat every time I called. Anyway, the guy finally calls back when the "emergency" charge will be in effect. I told him to just come at 8am when it wouldn't be double the price.

So, the guy gets here while I have to leave for classes. My wife stayed up so he could check things out. He ends up telling her that the furnace needs replaced and that it will cost $3200. Yeah, fuck that, right? So as he's leaving, while my wife is sitting there crying with the youngest that doesn't go to school, he tells her that she better hurry and get the last one they have.

So, when I get home I'm obviously pissed and I call a second contractor. He was closing down shop when I called but he said since we're so close he'll just come over for free and check things out before he heads home. He gets here, looks at the furnace and tells me it's too big and that's why the heat exchanger cracked in the first place (constant on/off). He then tells me it will cost roughly 1.4k to remove/install/parts/labor.

So my question is, since this other company was obviously trying to A) take advantage of "emergency" time by neglecting to call back during business hours and B) trying to take advantage of a desperate lady that has no idea how to handle these situations by charging such a horrendous price and feigning availability of units, is there anything I can do? I'm not sure the better business bureau would cover something like this. Or, am I just being retarded in thinking they were obviously trying to screw us?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:43 pm

Wow. If Corth wasn't just an ambulance chaser I'd tell you to talk to him. *stare*.

Definately talk to the better business bureau about that first contractor. Sounds like the kind of crook that doesn't go to jail nearly enough.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:47 pm

Yeah I'd report them to the better buisness bureau. You won't get anything out of it in terms of money since you didn't go with them, but at least it will show as a negative on their record.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:01 pm

You wound me so. :(
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:41 pm

rylan wrote:Yeah I'd report them to the better buisness bureau. You won't get anything out of it in terms of money since you didn't go with them, but at least it will show as a negative on their record.

Yeah, I don't expect or want any money from them, but I sure as hell don't want them doing this to other people who don't have the common sense to get a second opinion when they are in tough bind. And, if they have a record of doing underhanded crap like this, I'd like for them to get shut down or forced to change somehow. Yeah, it's capitalism I guess, but this is just rediculous.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:36 am

Wow, what a crappy situation. My advice is the same as the others and I don't have anything new to add... I think they covered it all, but I did want to tell you that I agree this is rediculous. Dishonesty in business is rampant in the plumbing/heating/cooling/repair industries. I've seen it myself. I feel for you guys!!! Good luck, Kifle.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Teklar
Sojourner

Postby Teklar » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:04 am

Bummer on a housewide scale although i've had the mini knee high oil heater for my source of heat for past 2 years.. ancient water tubed heater in the ceiling, heat rises.. heat don't come down it goes to people upstairs and at 6000 watts, I can't run it at $400+ a month so I only heat where I sit and use coat and / or blankets.

This company that you dealt with first sounds like a total scam, here in Seattle our Channel 4 news will investigate companies like this and blast it all over the news with their findings I don't know if you got anything like that in your local area or even a radio station that does these things? ..

Try writting in the Local section of your paper about the companies practices, in your letter ask if others have simular experiences with the company. Report their actions to the BBB, do you have any paperwork with the guys original quote / replacement of $3200+ ? ... if you do save it, with the secondary quote and tell them you also have proof.

Best of luck with getting it fixed, got to keep the kids warm over anything else.
Popowidle (Gnome, Invoker), Edek (HalfElf Ranger), Calarum (Grey-elf, Druid)
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:21 am

Well... Unless the first contractoris putting in a pulse furnace or running all new everything including a new a-coil duct work trunk line and plenum(for those that don't know what those are they are the HIGH efficiency furnaces) there's really no way it would cost that much.
A Brand new just plain gas furnace shoudl run you just under $900... Plus installation. Hell you can go to menards and probably find one at that price or cheaper.

Installing one is not really all that difficult as long as you know basic electronics (thermostat hook up and putting juice to it), basic knowledge of gas and interior gas lines (hooking the gas line up and being able to turn it off) and knowing how to use sheet metal snips and duct tape You shoudl be fine. Just remember to measure twice cut once.

As far as reporting those people HELL YES report them to the better business bureau also look up a periodicle and publications on HVAC there is a newspaper like one called HVAC. Contact them and let them know what happened to you. Have proof though that you can back up in writing. so they don't try to say you slandared them or libel.

Also if you rent it is the landlords responsibility to replace or repair that.
What exactly is broke on the furnace?
Does is function?
PM me or get a hold of me in game.

L8r
Rhoquinn group says 'Nok no wandering!'
You group say 'Is there any aggro's here?'
You flee westward!
You group say 'ummm guys?'
Rhoquinn group says 'Dammit Nok'
Welcome to toril
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:16 am

Since when is it wrong to try and make as much money for yourself as possible? He tried to make a small windfall, and you guys were smart enough to see though the bullshit. Good for you. Frankly, I would be a lot more concerned about a government that attempts to protect me from making stupid mistakes. People that have 'less common sense' as you put it, Kifle, and give this guy $3,200, are simply LEARNING.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:27 am

BTW..

I have more perspective on this type of stuff than most of you.

I work for myself and quote prices to individuals on a frequent basis. There is nothing I would love more than to take in $3,200 for a couple of hours work. In the long run though, its a bad business decision. You will lose 9 out of 10 jobs that you could have otherwise gotten, for the privilege of making big money for the one sucker that hires you. You also end up losing repreat business from those 9 clients that would have hired you. You lose references from those 9 clients that would have hired you. You deservedly obtain a bad reputation, and you must live with that rep.

You have people like this in every type of profession or business, but none of them are ever particularly succesful. Thats how the free market deals with these types of, essentially, lazy people. They're work life revolves around trying to find a sucker, which is actually a very difficult thing to do. People in general are smarter than we give them credit for.

That being said, I would hope that your state has no law against that type of behavior. People need to be responsible for themselves. On the other hand, I think contact the BBB is a very appropriate response. Its good for people to have the opportunity to find out what a slacker this guy is.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:09 pm

Always call more than one service for an estimate. Always check values of parts, if possible, before agreeing to any work done... and if you can, buy the parts yourself and just have the repairman install them. Always get their estimate in writing before agreeing to the deal. And try to stick with a good contractor once you find one.

Since I tend to do a lot of work on my own vehicle, I usually have a good idea of what's wrong with it if I need to take it to the mechanic. When I don't, I ask friends who are fairly mechanically inclined until I have a good idea of what the problem is. Then I call around and get values on the parts and find out how much labor is involved. After that, I take it to a mechanic and ask him to look at it, because there's something wrong with it and I'm oh-so-frail and helpless, I just can't figure out what it is. If he tells me a load of crap and gives me a list of repairs that needs to be done that don't have anything to do with the real problem, I move on to another mechanic. Now I have a mechanic I wouldn't trade.

I have some housing repairs I want done soon, and I will probably go through the same process with them, too. I've already been making lists of the supplies I need and their relative values, and I have a good idea of how much labor will be involved. I will invite several contractors out to the property and will play "helpless damsel" while they make their estimates. When I find one I can trust, he will be getting a ton of business from me.

And Corth... there's nothing wrong with somebody trying to make a buck, as long as they don't take advantage of the people you love. You know you'd probably be cheesed if it happened to your wife, or your daughter down the road.

Carl, too bad there's not an "In Your Corner" type of program the local news runs in your area. They have one here that will invite contractors out to fix a known problem in a stooge's house, and if he's crooked they analyze it on-air. I would certainly make sure all my friends knew exactly what this fellow did, and for them to let all their friends know, as well.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!

Return to “General Discussion Archive”