Disk Defragmentation

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Disk Defragmentation

Postby Abbayarra » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:02 am

I'm looking for an effective and safe alternative to the windows XPdisk defragmentation. Hopefully I can find one that can also defragment the windows part of the drive so that my computer will once again boot quickly.
What is the best free defragment program out there?
Thanks.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:49 am

XP does its own defragging whenever the system isn't in use, usually at night or whenever. That's why you always see your system light busy if you happen to peek over at the machine.

If you're having trouble booting quickly, try getting rid of programs that take ages to load up, or disable their "Load at startup" options.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:11 am

stupid adware/spyware! teenagers suck!

daughter loads so much crap on here system we have to keep an active program on there.. stupid gain/gator .. grr

slows a system WAY down .. her computer booted clean a few weeks ago .. excellent wireless strength. within a week it was down to fair .. grr

thank goodness we are literate enough to know how to fix it :P
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:35 am

Yasden wrote:XP does its own defragging whenever the system isn't in use, usually at night or whenever. That's why you always see your system light busy if you happen to peek over at the machine.

If you're having trouble booting quickly, try getting rid of programs that take ages to load up, or disable their "Load at startup" options.

Yeah, go to start>run> then type msconfig and click ok (or run can't remember). Click the startup tab and start disabling some of the crap there. You may have a problem with your total amount of stored data also. Windows defrag program is fine...not the bomb shit, but it works well enough to show you a difference if it will help in the first place.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 am

Yasden wrote:XP does its own defragging whenever the system isn't in use, usually at night or whenever. That's why you always see your system light busy if you happen to peek over at the machine.

Wierd... I've never seen this behavior on any of my XP systems either at home or work. Did you set up defrag through task scheduler? Or is something else silly running like indexing service or some spyware?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:15 am

Set your swap file minimum and maximum sizes to the same size. Often times you'll hear your hard disk grinding away as windows adjusts your swap file size.

I tend to put at least 1gb, but you may want more for whatever reason.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:24 am

I got:

Search and Destroy (free) - totally kicks butt
Adware
Spy Sweeper
Counter Spy

And if that doesn't work, you can use 'Hijack This' and the guys there will figure out what's wrong.

**sorry for derailing :P
Abbayarra
Sojourner

defrag

Postby Abbayarra » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:38 pm

I actually build computers and servers at work and install windows and oracle onto them. I know about msconfig and regedit.
What I don't know is if there is a better defrag program than windows. I also do not leave my machine on when I am not using it.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:45 pm

defrag is nearly a complete waste of time these days. once upon a time about 12 years ago it was moderately worthwhile (although it often caused as many problems as it "solved"). Today, I believe its more of a fad than function. Disks just generally don't get that fragmented that there is any speed gain. You could probably get faster performance by increasing your disk block size or installing a second disk and moving your swap file to it.

If your computer is running slow its 99% because of extra programs. Do a fresh install of windows, it'll boots in 2.2 seconds, add ms office, it now boots in 10 seconds and its not even spyware. Download 10 different media players, 6 different image editing programs and 5 messengers and skype and its gonna get up like a vwbug on an 8% grade (yes im exaggerating).
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:26 am

Thilindel wrote:I got:

Search and Destroy (free) - totally kicks butt
Adware

You mean the adware/spyware removal programs:

Spybot S&D
Adaware

right?

Return to “General Discussion Archive”