I may have found my new possible fav past-time - VANGUARD!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Sundara
Sojourner

I may have found my new possible fav past-time - VANGUARD!

Postby Sundara » Wed May 03, 2006 7:06 am

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=43537

Anyone heard of this yet? It appears that Vanguard is gonna have the option for players to build thier own cities. You can then hire different political player ( real players ) to help run your city and charge taxes, etc..Also in order to even have a city you have to first have a political advisor convince an NPC into selling you land then have harvesters gather timber and such then have someone who plays a type of contractor to build and so on...

In details of the game, you can also go the route of just becoming a citizen of a current city and deal with all the stuff. Supposdly its gonna be difficult to actually build your own city.

Thats just the city or "Diplomacy" as they call it, part of the game. There is still the dungeon crawling and pvp action and adventuring of a game like WoW, so for the normal players they can just find an NPC or Player to build thier happy little home in, and not worry about the politcal part of the game.

In addition, adventuring will be really cool as well. There will be horses, boats, ships ( Ocean Travel ) And Air Ship for travling that all can be player crafted and upgraded with armor,etc

You can destroy buildings, ships and all that stuff. Imagine PvP raiding in Vanguard. Destroy some player built city! MUAHAHAHA, so evil so evil, reminds of those strategical games.

They also said they want to make traveling more realistic, so it's gonna be more involved, (like wow) there will be no fast travel option, you'll have to go horse back you sail to your destination and there will be random battles on the way, as expected, huh?

Looks like it's gonna be a very detailed pvp system also because they want to give it a more realistic world feel to it, and I think they may pull it off. Oh and you can kill horses so the enemy can't ride off to escape. Mounted combat in the mix, too, as well as armouring your mount. :)

Imagine going on ship and coming across sea creatures to fight? I dunno, it's like they've expanded the world in this game and a ton more of diversities. Not like wow, where all you did was invest a rediculous amount of time to grind in CPS, which had no skill to it for pvp and the system of their instances just killed it, IMO.

I am so far very much interested in this game. Of course, I told myself I wouldn't play any games for awhile! I am so weak. :( I've been searching for a game like this for a long time. I want to be able to FEEEEEEL it!

If this turns out hopefully the way I think its gonna turn out, then...hoorah!, I've found my gaming nitch! if not, bah, another one bites the dust. =p

p.s. sorry bout the long post and bringing up a new game to the forums, which most likely doesn't belong here, but after discussions of other games on the forums, like WoW, CoV, etc....I thought no harm done, I'd like to know if anyone else but me have heard of this game. :)
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed May 03, 2006 7:21 am

I tried to join the forum for it about a year ago to reply to a thread about old sojourn players but it didn't work *shrug*. It looks interesting I was thinking of giving it a go until I couldn't join the forum: I think I might actually genuinely like the text format! (286 4 eva!)
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 03, 2006 8:48 am

Sounds cool and all.. but..

Who the hell builds their own CITY? A house? Sure. A Barn? Fine. Shed? Certainly. But a CITY?

Would be a lot more interesting for me if players, by choosing where to build their houses and businesses, allowed cities to spring up naturally. Maybe subject to political regulations such as zoning as the city became larger.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed May 03, 2006 1:48 pm

Play Sim City 4 if you wanna build your own city, yeesh.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Wed May 03, 2006 4:59 pm

You dont have to build your own city if you dont want to, you can always reside to the ones available, but for those who like to build and get involved in it's politics you can. I for one wouldn't have the time to build my own "city" but apart from that, I like how they try to bring more of a feel to the world of adventuring, not just the same old repetative motion of grinding the same dungeon over and over for whatever gear/items. I don't like a game focused on just gear gear gear, to me that is just a bonus, there's gotta be more to a game for me to be interested, friendships, society and adventures.

This game seems to "bring it" and much more including the pvp factor, blowing up of the ships, destroying homes, etc...not just on contact with another player, but objects, too. There was no real skill to pvp in WoW and Vanguard "seems" the total opposite.

For those that liked pvp on Duris back in the old days of glory, where guilds would conquer on the same side other guild halls, etc...well this game seems to deliver that sort of fun and beyond.

The races you faction with can be fun! Destroy other cities and what not together seem pretty interesting, chaotic and fun, but it doesn't all have to be about destroying, you and your faction can build your own communities, etc.

I dunno, I think its gonna be fun when you start faction with certain races and get that adrenaline rush because you'll be considered KOS and vice versa, etc.

I think there is excitement to be had here! I think i'm gonna give this game a try when it comes out because it seems to take it to another level, IMO.
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Wed May 03, 2006 5:15 pm

graphix sux
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Wed May 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Lol, the graphics may not be so hot, but it's still new and they're still testing before it goes retail. If the game turns out sour like all games do, then so be it. :P But it wont stop me from keeping hope alive! =p
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 03, 2006 5:37 pm

I dig the city and political aspect of the game...and it's funny how people here moan about graphics when we're all connected by a non-graphical game most of us either currently play or played up until a year or so ago. There are actually MUDs that impliment some form of player governed cities and such -- which I always saw to be an awesome idea (which I pushed for to replace the old justice system here).

Thanks for the heads up sunny.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 pm

NP, Kifle. :)

Regarding graphics though, there is never going to be a 100% good quality to it, isn't that kind of obvious? Well I shouldn't say never, but hey.

Nevertheless, just the general concepts and ideas alone of this game is what intrigues me and I like the myrad of classes and races here. Not like WoW where everyone was like, the same?? boring and was pretty much limited.

The character creation seems to bring uniqueness so far in Vsoh, maybe it's to early to tell, I dunno, but I'm liking the general picture this game is presenting so far.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Wed May 03, 2006 6:07 pm

Maybe he meant graphical games sux?
Iyced / Torgu / Iysor
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Wed May 03, 2006 6:11 pm

*shrug*
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed May 03, 2006 6:42 pm

I think he meant text vs. graphical.

We've been following this for a while.

A little background (from rumormill admittedly.)

The guys who are building this game are the ones who originally designed and created the engine for the first Everquest. Once it was up and running, Super S fired them all and hired a new team for less money to maintain it.

These guys are being backed by microsoft, and I think the thing that has most people really interested is the concept of ZERO zone load-in/load-out. Its supposed to run like the mud in that its one seamless world.

As for the cities and stuff.. most single people would prolly do houses, its the guilds and such that would be interested in cities and the like.

The graphics I've seen look fairly nice, though I have yet to see them in motion. (Hubby is drooling over this far more than I am.)
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Wed May 03, 2006 10:05 pm

Vipplin wrote:Maybe he meant graphical games sux?

You win the prize!

Text > All!!!!!1111one1one
Vaprak, the Destroyer

Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Vanguard

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu May 04, 2006 12:29 am

I got invited to do the beta testing for Vanguard. My old apprentice is the president of the company. Kinda funny. Looks very neat though. But alas, I agree with Vaprak. Graphical MMORPG have up to now been < mud.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 04, 2006 12:48 pm

I registered on their forums in 2003 and put about 1500 posts up on their boards... I was really excited for Vanguard at first, I hoped it would the be a MMOG I could stick with for a while. But god... their community.

The Vanguard community elevates fanboydom to cult status. I couldn't handle it after a while... some of them will actually flame you if you mention another game's title. The Off-Topic board fills up with topics like "Why you shouldn't play WoW" and "I told you FFXI sucked." Every two weeks, someone posts a topic for "So what game are you playing now?" and fifty people all give the same reply... "I'm not playing anything, every game sucks, I'm waiting for Vanguard." I couldn't drink the kool-aid anymore, so I stopped visiting the site.

I may buy Vanguard, if they have an open beta and the game content looks good. But from what Sigil has said so far, they're looking to recapture the hell grinder experience from Everquest, so I might just stick with Warcraft and City of Heroes.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dalar
Sojourner

Re: Vanguard

Postby Dalar » Thu May 04, 2006 4:36 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:I got invited to do the beta testing for Vanguard. My old apprentice is the president of the company. Kinda funny. Looks very neat though. But alas, I agree with Vaprak. Graphical MMORPG have up to now been < mud.

I wouldn't say that. WoW does cater more to the casual gamer than most MUDs have in the past.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat May 06, 2006 2:51 am

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat May 06, 2006 3:15 am

Yeah, life at the vanguard forums got ugly today.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon May 08, 2006 12:16 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH oh my god

I am going to go to the Vanguard forums right now and point at all the crying fanboys.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon May 08, 2006 12:40 am

Here's the huge dramalink in the Vanguard forums.

Having never played EQ, SWG or EQ2, I never knew SOE could inspire such hatred!
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon May 08, 2006 7:14 pm

we need some sojourn fanboyisim
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Mon May 08, 2006 8:08 pm

ha, Ragorn, always pointing out the trolls, well i'm pointing atcha, too! JK :)

I haven't really read the Vanguard dramas, only the game contents/compilation so far. It's a waste of time to read morons who try to e-cock one another and be applauded for their nerdy bravado! well okay, I should take a look at that for pure amusement. =p Internet machismo is always funny! taahaahahaha!
When poverty comes knocking on your door, love escapes through the window.

-German Proverb-
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon May 08, 2006 10:59 pm

Sundara wrote:ha, Ragorn, always pointing out the trolls, well i'm pointing atcha, too! JK :)

I haven't really read the Vanguard dramas, only the game contents/compilation so far. It's a waste of time to read morons who try to e-cock one another and be applauded for their nerdy bravado! well okay, I should take a look at that for pure amusement. =p Internet machismo is always funny! taahaahahaha!

The proper term is "cock jousting".

Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Tue May 09, 2006 5:42 am

Thanks for the terminology. Now quit trying to joust me, Dalar! =(

-German Proverb-
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue May 09, 2006 6:04 pm

......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 10, 2006 12:14 am

Sundara wrote:Thanks for the terminology. Now quit trying to joust me, Dalar! =(

He only jousts with guys.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed May 10, 2006 12:06 pm

I heard Sony and KFC in a joint venture was taking over TorilMUD character generation and the touch social command, is this true?
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 10, 2006 2:00 pm

- Ragorn
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 10, 2006 2:18 pm

Sundara wrote:ha, Ragorn, always pointing out the trolls, well i'm pointing atcha, too! JK :)

Once upon a time, sometime in mid-2004, a discussion popped up on the Vanguard forums about IGE and gold-selling enterprises. Early in the thread, maybe in the first ten or fifteen posts, I casually mentioned that I support the practice because ebaying Diablo 2 items helped pay my tuition one semester.

And I think that was the last day I considered myself part of the Vanguard "community."

When I checked the thread a few hours later, there were about 50 replies. To say I got flamed would be a mild understatement. It was a clusterfuck. At the time I didn't really understand the flap about the issue... I've always believed that people should be able to do whatever the fuck they want in MMO games. You want to cheat and use spoilers and buy gold, knock yourself silly. What I didn't realize is that most of the people on that board don't see things that way, they see IGE as the coming apocolypse that will rend online gaming asunder.

So I made a few posts defending myself, trying not to pour boiling oil on the fire. Left some threads, talked to some people in PMs, whatever. From then on, whenever someone created a thread about IGE, my name would appear as an ugly reference somewhere along the line. After a while I got tired of it, so I'd show up in the thread, make some two-paragraph bullshit post about EULA law being unenforcable or ebay being untrackable, and the thread would explode into a ten-page ... um... cock joust. I got called a lot of really colorful names, including "the KKK of the online gaming world" and "a pedophile molesting innocent gamers."

I hope Vanguard succeeds, I think Aradune's a smart guy and he deserves some success. But I think that Vanguard is going to pass like a fart in a hurricane unless the come out with an actual E3 presence this year instead of the two-minute video montage they produced last year.
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 10, 2006 5:01 pm

Ragorn wrote:

Once upon a time, sometime in mid-2004, a discussion popped up on the Vanguard forums about IGE and gold-selling enterprises. Early in the thread, maybe in the first ten or fifteen posts, I casually mentioned that I support the practice because ebaying Diablo 2 items helped pay my tuition one semester.

And I think that was the last day I considered myself part of the Vanguard "community."

When I checked the thread a few hours later, there were about 50 replies. To say I got flamed would be a mild understatement. It was a clusterfuck. At the time I didn't really understand the flap about the issue... I've always believed that people should be able to do whatever the fuck they want in MMO games. You want to cheat and use spoilers and buy gold, knock yourself silly. What I didn't realize is that most of the people on that board don't see things that way, they see IGE as the coming apocolypse that will rend online gaming asunder.

So I made a few posts defending myself, trying not to pour boiling oil on the fire. Left some threads, talked to some people in PMs, whatever. From then on, whenever someone created a thread about IGE, my name would appear as an ugly reference somewhere along the line. After a while I got tired of it, so I'd show up in the thread, make some two-paragraph bullshit post about EULA law being unenforcable or ebay being untrackable, and the thread would explode into a ten-page ... um... cock joust. I got called a lot of really colorful names, including "the KKK of the online gaming world" and "a pedophile molesting innocent gamers."

I hope Vanguard succeeds, I think Aradune's a smart guy and he deserves some success. But I think that Vanguard is going to pass like a fart in a hurricane unless the come out with an actual E3 presence this year instead of the two-minute video montage they produced last year.

The funny thing is, most of those people against gold farmers will more than gladly buy their rares for cheap cash.

About the E3 presentation -- isn't the game supposed to come out 4th quarter this year? Also, I'm assuming that since the game is in some form of beta, they'd be almost forced to have a playable demo and character generator.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 10, 2006 9:56 pm

I would imagine so. However, their E3 presence last year was... well, they didn't have one. E3 came and went, and IGN and Gamespot did half-page blurbs on Vanguard, and that was all they got. With the game in beta 3 or beta Q or whatever super-secret don't-even-tell-our-fans beta stage they're in, I imagine they'll need to put something up if they want to sell pre-orders this year.
- Ragorn
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Thu May 11, 2006 5:08 am

Interesting, but really not surprising at all. Tabletop campaigne anyone?? It's a nice break from mmos, imo.

Now, where did I leave my dice...

-German Proverb-
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu May 11, 2006 5:21 am

Sundara wrote:Interesting, but really not surprising at all. Tabletop campaigne anyone?? It's a nice break from mmos, imo.

Now, where did I leave my dice...

Just play NWN

Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Thu May 11, 2006 5:41 am

Oh I will after whenever I reinstall it of course! :)

-German Proverb-
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu May 11, 2006 1:20 pm

I'm DMing a party through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil at the moment :)
- Ragorn
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Thu May 11, 2006 1:59 pm

Last time I talked to one of the Vanguard senior game designers he was getting ready for E3 and didn't have much time to chat. However, he didn't really say what sort of presence they'd have there this year either. FWIW.

That's hilarious btw Ragorn about the IGE thing heh.
Vaprak, the Destroyer

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu May 11, 2006 2:04 pm

Ragorn wrote:I'm DMing a party through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil at the moment :)

On NWN? I have a cracked version. I'll see if I can snag a registered copy from my brother if you guys are playing. I have a simple summer course load, so I'll have quite a bit of free time hopefully.

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri May 12, 2006 1:34 am

There's no real reason for this.

Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri May 12, 2006 2:08 am

Kifle wrote:
Ragorn wrote:I'm DMing a party through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil at the moment :)

On NWN? I have a cracked version. I'll see if I can snag a registered copy from my brother if you guys are playing. I have a simple summer course load, so I'll have quite a bit of free time hopefully.

No, tabletop.
- Ragorn
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Fri May 12, 2006 6:00 am

Nice, we played ToEE over 3 years ago, now we're moving onto Eberron. Interesting world, Ragorn! Check out Eberron if you haven't already! Fantastic AD&D stuff!

-German Proverb-
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri May 12, 2006 1:30 pm

Our last campaign, and our next one, are both in Eberron :) I played a Githzerai Monk who left the adventure, and then I brought in a Human Mystic Theurge who worked as a minor bureaucrat for House Orien. D&D Online is also set in Eberron, although you'd never know it if it weren't for all the Warforged walking around.
- Ragorn

Return to “General Discussion Archive”