Computer Issue

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Vigis
Sojourner

Computer Issue

Postby Vigis » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:19 pm

Anybody have an idea of why my computer just decides to shut down while I am ripping DVDs? I didn't have an issue with it for the first few months owning the computer, now anytime I am ripping a DVD, I can't get further than 25% in and the computer shuts down. I don't get any error messages and can't turn anything up when I run a diagnostic.

At first, I thought it was overheating, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

And no Maxler, I don't want to ship it out to you to fix because we are down to 1 computer since the motherboard fried on Tiyela's laptop.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Birile
Sojourner

Re: Computer Issue

Postby Birile » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:16 pm

Vigis wrote:Anybody have an idea of why my computer just decides to shut down while I am ripping DVDs? I didn't have an issue with it for the first few months owning the computer, now anytime I am ripping a DVD, I can't get further than 25% in and the computer shuts down. I don't get any error messages and can't turn anything up when I run a diagnostic.

At first, I thought it was overheating, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

And no Maxler, I don't want to ship it out to you to fix because we are down to 1 computer since the motherboard fried on Tiyela's laptop.

Are you sure it's not going into hibernate mode after a set amount of time of "inactivity"?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:51 pm

Are you overclocking anything?
Otherwise, it may be your power supply. Can you post some system specs?
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:41 am

Could be a RAM issue. Also, I'd rethink the overheating issue. The CPU can cool down too quick for you to catch the temps in BIOS. You may want to download Memtest to check your RAM and some other diagnostic software to monitor your temps as your rip.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:27 am

I thought the issue was you letting Maxler build the computer to begin with. *duck*

What software are you using for the encoding process? It's probably not a hardware issue at all, most likely software, particularly if it's a almost-new machine.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:04 am

Yasden wrote:I thought the issue was you letting Maxler build the computer to begin with. *duck*

What software are you using for the encoding process? It's probably not a hardware issue at all, most likely software, particularly if it's a almost-new machine.

Unless maxler didnt seat the heatsink well, botched the termal paste application, bad ram stick was sent, etc... It's good to check hardware on very new machines and very old machines.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:48 am

Yea, I hear Maxler excels at sinking his stick into paste.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:15 pm

Maxler helped me find the issue. It was overheating. The fan that came stock with the cpu isn't doing its job well enough. CPU temp was jumping up 20 degrees C or more.

I've got a new fan on order from newegg, but letting the puter take it easy until it shows up and I can get it installed.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:27 pm

*peer*...He used a stock fan on a custom machine? No damn wonder. :P

Bad Flanders, bad!
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:10 pm

dvd ripping, very cpu intensive.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Yasden wrote:*peer*...He used a stock fan on a custom machine? No damn wonder. :P

Bad Flanders, bad!

Stock AMD heatsink/fan assembly do very very well. I've been able to OC my cpu at very good temps on those things just fine.

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:16 pm

Everything worked together just fine for the first couple months, no way Max could have foreseen the fan acting up now. Hell, when we figured out what the problem was, he offered to get me a new fan. Course, I wouldn't let him... :)

Here is the replacement if anybody is interested.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835186134

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:24 pm

gary, you are looking at this the wrong way.

just think of the benefits you will have durning winter when you can save on your heating bill due to your computer.

think of the buisness potential of having an extra skillet, you could start up a resturant called "prescotts" offering exclusive fried eggs, on the second hottest processor to hit retail markets (woo hoo go cyrix, yer still #1 baby)

think of the warm romantic nights spent in the arms of yo sweet thang as you bask in the glow of the prescott.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:52 pm

What I'm pissed about is that I waited a day to order the fan. 1st time I pulled it up, it was on sale for $7 less and had free shipping. . .I put the order in the next morning and ended up paying more :)

Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:40 pm

I was sick of my PC overheating all the time so went back to my trusty old 486DX33. It runs DOS 6.22 a little slow, but it's worth it for sure!
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:54 pm

did anyone but me giggle at maxler's response? i found it amusing :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:31 pm

can i get an investor to start a resturant called "prescotts"? that would friggin rule

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:37 pm

Ambar wrote:did anyone but me giggle at maxler's response? i found it amusing :)

No, I love prescHott jokes just as much as the next guy. Btw, did you really put a prescott in his rig, max?

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:37 pm

heh, just looked through my invoices for the month that i ordred the parts for that computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116171

oops, its a cedar mill

nice upgrade from a freakin prescott

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:46 pm

by the way, a little followup to clear my good name.

the problem was that the cpu fan was extremely dusty, causing it to not effectively cool the cpu.

4$ for canned air, problem solved.

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:10 pm

Yeah, I should have followed up with that.

I did buy the new fan though. . .of course I can't figure out how to mount it :) The old one had screws, the new one has some posts with plastic clips and they didn't fit . I'm not confident enough in my abilities to take out the motherboard (or anything else for that matter) to mount the fan. When I couldn't get the new one in I used the canned air. Could have saved my self about $40 if I'd have tried that first :)

I did keep the new one as a backup. If the old fan goes out, I'll bring the tower in and get one of the IT guys here at work to install it.

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:21 pm

yeah, and i didnt realise it when i pointed you to that fan, but you have to remove the motherboard to install that one. Kinda shitty of them to do an aftermarket fan that way.

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:14 pm

Kifle wrote: Also, I'd rethink the overheating issue. The CPU can cool down too quick for you to catch the temps in BIOS.

damn, should of listened to kifle to begin with

Return to “General Discussion Archive”