What's wrong with people these days

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Dalar
Sojourner

What's wrong with people these days

Postby Dalar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:13 pm

It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:20 pm

His backdoor buttler didn't show for work!
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:27 pm

That's actually kind of depressing. He might go to jail (where he would at least be able to get a date with little problem) for fraud, which is fine, but to be fined $30,000 for "wasting everyone's time" is just ridiculous. Not to mention the $50,000 bail. For that money, he could have had professionals stick stuff wherever he wanted for a month.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:21 pm

Thing is Cirath, how many man hours did he waste? Every minute he wasted utilizing public resources (police, DA, etc.) is paid for by taxes. In essence, by filing false reports he stole from the community. Consider the 30,000 to be restitution for theft of services.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:21 pm

feh. double post
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:57 pm

Presumably he pays his taxes, and therefore has earned use of those services. To fine him in addition to jail time is punishing him twice for the same crime.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:11 pm

You could sum the fees as covering his jail time cost in addition to the money spent investigating the case. Personally I dislike the use of both a fine and imprisonment and feel a substantial fine and some community service, which actully does something for the community, would have been sufficient. I don't see why additional tax payer funds should be spent to put this guy in jail where he won't be able to work to recoup the fees to begin with, and will most likely just sit around and enjoy a break from the real world in the company of other criminals.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:50 am

Actually, Cirath, public resources are a lot like health insurance. If everybody who had a policy used it constantly then every insurance company would go bankrupt. The costs of those who use it are offset by those who pay for the service but very rarely use it. If you file a lot of fraudulent claims, then you're putting an unnecessary draw on the system that it can't afford, and making it more likely that somebody else who needs the service in the future may not have it.

If you file false reports then you're not only putting an unnecessary draw on the system in the terms of wasted financial resources, you're tying up a lot of other resources that could better be used by those who really do need them.

That said... that's a ridiculously stiff penalty, no pun intended, for what amounts to sheer stupidity. All he needs is a small fine, community service, and the knowledge that his exploit has become a source of irritated amusement for an untold number of people.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:10 am

Botef wrote:I don't see why additional tax payer funds should be spent to put this guy in jail where he won't be able to work to recoup the fees to begin with, and will most likely just sit around and enjoy a break from the real world in the company of other criminals.

And the benefit of being in prison is he'll not have to settle for a dildo in his butt!
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:32 am

Moral of the story:

They always get you in the end...

Lath
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:27 am

Ashiwi wrote:Actually, Cirath, public resources are a lot like health insurance. If everybody who had a policy used it constantly then every insurance company would go bankrupt. The costs of those who use it are offset by those who pay for the service but very rarely use it. If you file a lot of fraudulent claims, then you're putting an unnecessary draw on the system that it can't afford, and making it more likely that somebody else who needs the service in the future may not have it.

If you file false reports then you're not only putting an unnecessary draw on the system in the terms of wasted financial resources, you're tying up a lot of other resources that could better be used by those who really do need them.

Your example is a bit out of line with what I said, though. It isn't about mass numbers of people taxing the system until it colapses. It is about adding a secondary penalty with weak reasoning to someone who will already face a much harsher one. He will be tried for fraud, and very possibly go to jail, but the fine is just there to further humiliate him. I am fairly certain that if you were to add up the cost of the resources and personel devoted to listening him tell a short lie twelve times that it would total far less than thirty thousand dollars.

Botef wrote:I don't see why additional tax payer funds should be spent to put this guy in jail where he won't be able to work to recoup the fees to begin with, and will most likely just sit around and enjoy a break from the real world in the company of other criminals.

I am guessing you have never even seen the inside of prison if you think it is a "break from the real world." Personally, I think I will stay on the outside and muddle through somehow.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:41 pm

so... how far did he plunge the dildo for it to become stuck anyhow? rofl some people are just sick... also WTF is a samoan?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:37 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoan_American

Samoan American
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A Samoan American is an American who is of ethnic Samoan descent and may be from either the independent nation Samoa or the American territory of American Samoa. Many Samoans live in Los Angeles, Carson, Long Beach, San Jose, Salt Lake City, Independence, Missouri, Houston, Seattle and in the state of Hawaii. Since the end of World War II, persons born in American Samoa are United States nationals, but not United States citizens. (This is the only circumstance under which an individual would be one and not the other.) For this reason, Samoans can move to Hawaii or the mainland United States and obtain citizenship comparatively easily.

--------

Samoan men are typically very large, and especially in Hawaii they don't much care for whitey.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”