I need help steling the internet so I can mud from home!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Minofagal
Sojourner

I need help steling the internet so I can mud from home!

Postby Minofagal » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:06 pm

I just moved into my new place and my roommate is piggy backing off of our neighbors using a LinkSys pci wireless card for his desktop. I'm currently broke and can't afford the measly $40 for a card for my computer so I am wondering if there is a way to share his connection using my wireless router. It's a D-Link 802.11g wireless with LAN cable connections to my computer.

I tried setting up his computer as a host using Windows XP's internet connection sharing wizard, but it says that we can't share it since there is no modem connected. (I'm guessing it's to prevent people from doing exactly what we are trying to do :P)

Faldo suggested using WinGate but once I had it installed it wouldn't let me start the engine (again I'm thinking it's because there is no modem connected.)

Any help would be appreciate. plz!!! I'm going through mud withdrawals!
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:15 am

I feel bad for the roomate of the guy who can't spring $40 for a wireless card.

In the time its taking you to figure out a solution to your problem, you could earn well over $40. Go hang out around a home depot and offer to do manual labor for $10 an hour off the books. Thats less than the illegals make. Four hours and your mud addiction will be satisfied!

Or better yet, go on fatwallet.com and find a place where you can get the card for $15 or so. I've gotten several of them free after rebate over the years. $40 is a ripoff for a PCI wifi card. And that way, you can take the $25 dollars you have left over from being a Mexican, and invest in a whole bunch of ramen noodles. Thats poor man food for a month!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:32 am

Corth wrote:In the time its taking you to figure out a solution to your problem, you could earn well over $40. Go hang out around a home depot and offer to do manual labor for $10 an hour off the books. Thats less than the illegals make. Four hours and your mud addiction will be satisfied!

Hell, just dress in some old rags, rub a little dirt on your face, grab a paper cup and work a street corner for change. Around here at least, the "beggers" easily make $40 in a day.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:03 am

Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:21 am

My advice to you... get a job, sir!

The bums will always lose! Do you hear me? The bums will always lose!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:09 pm

You can't use your wireless router to connect to another wireless router. Mesh networking isn't there yet.

Using internet connection sharing with your computer connected to his should work however, since he has a wireless network card and is getting the signal from the neighbor. If you connect directly from your pc to his, you'd need a crossover cable. Otherwise you'd have to go through a switch, or use the ports on your router. Just make sure the wireless stuff and dhcp is turned off on it or else it will try acting as the host instead of your friend's PC.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:56 pm

thanks ruxur and rylan.

and for all you others i do have a job, just was behind on some bills and getting caught up..

oh yeah and i'm not mexican. even though that was pretty damn funny :)

Ubek
Sojourner

Postby Ubek » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:08 pm

If your router could also run as a wireless bridge, you could do it. Some routers, not most support bridge mode.
Race: Drow
Class: Necromancer
"Work Hard, Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU!"
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:09 pm

http://shop4.outpost.com/search;jsessio ... e=pDisplay

are any of these decent or still too much? (is airlink decent?)

this is a short-term fix until we get our cable installed so i want to spend the minimum but still get a decent product incase i decide to use it later on down the road.

rux, will that usb one work for my desktop?

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:05 pm

the airlink brand of products work just fine.

thier software does blow mightily, so use windows to manage your wireless settings.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:11 pm

i ended up getting a dlink gw520 (think thats it) but got no signal.

so i tried buying a hawkings 6dbi omni directional antenna and a 7 foot exention cable to try and snag a signal and placed it all over my room and couldn't pick up the unsecure network my roommate has (or any other)

so i packed the antenna and cable up and returned it :( it was going to be a temporary fix any how, i'll just have to wait until we get our cable hooked up *shrug*

thanks for the suggestions and help though

Return to “General Discussion Archive”