Crocodile Hunter

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Crocodile Hunter

Postby Thilindel » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:19 am

Heard he died from a sting ray poke in the chest. Anybody else hear of this?
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:47 am

Sting ray barb through the left half of his chest while filming off the coast of Cairns 45 minutes ago. His wife doesn't know as of yet... Crikey :(
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:54 am

That truly sucks for his family and his children. But, I guess you can say atleast he died doing what he loved, for what little that helps anyway.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
xisskas
Sojourner

Postby xisskas » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:33 pm

he was only 44 =( That's so sad. I loved watching the specials with him and the dangerous spiders.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:15 pm

Tried to access the Australia Zoo website... methinks its being overspammed atm.

Sarell wrote:Sting ray barb through the left half of his chest while filming off the coast of Cairns 45 minutes ago. His wife doesn't know as of yet... Crikey :(

I hate it when news like this gets out before the family is notified.. I severely hope someone got ahold of Terry before she saw it on the news.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:41 pm

No one can honestly say they didn't see this coming. He has been begging for it for years. Maybe his kids will be bright enough not to provoke potentially dangerous animals for fun.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:30 pm

? From what I read, he swam over a camo'd stingray, which felt threatened so stung him. How's that being reckless? Any diver could have suffered that fate.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:55 pm

Of course any diver could. You go into a creature's natural habitat, you take your chances. You take a film crew into a creature's natural habitat, you're going to make them frightened and potentially more aggressive than normal, and you take even bigger chances.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:30 pm

hmm i missed the part about it being camo'ed, from what i read it was a rather large ray swimming around a reef and he swam up over it and it lashed out with its tail.

The barb hit his chest, piercing between his ribs and directly into his heart, which is pretty much what killed him. Poisonous or not, most people survive a normal sting, and it is extremely rare to be killed by one of these guys. Steve was pronounced dead at the scene when the emergency crews arrived by helicopter.

Now, whether he had it coming or not (he has been warned numerous times for approaching wildlife too closely, a trip to antartica saw him "harrassing penquins, humpback whales, and a seal" according to the local law), I have to say I'm gonna miss him. But not nearly as badly as his poor wife. Poor woman. =(
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:58 am

Cirath wrote:No one can honestly say they didn't see this coming. He has been begging for it for years. Maybe his kids will be bright enough not to provoke potentially dangerous animals for fun.

Not going to happen. Animal handling just seems to be an Irwin thing. Both of his kids have been exposed to crocs, snakes etc since 1 month old.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:25 pm

yeah it's been all over the news here. everyone is saying that he probably died instantly. it's really a bummer, i always liked watching his shows. especially on david letterman when letterman would start making fun of him and irwin would just ignore him and keep going totally engrosed in what he was talking about. he had a really unique way of grabbing you and pulling you into his passion for animals.

rip steve irwin.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:56 pm

Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:39 pm

What do you think the chances are they release the video of when he actually died? It was caught on tape.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:28 am

High

I think she will because it will show what happens when nature is disturbed, etc. Other than what I read, his wife has the final sayso in it being released. I can see her not wanting it out because it'd suck seeing your spouse die in such a painful manner. They said the boat was 500m away and he was barely aware when on board initially. I doubt pulling it out manually was a wise choice since that barb was serrated
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:56 am

ok who had stingray in the steve irwin office pool?
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:06 am

Minofagal wrote:he had a really unique way of grabbing you and pulling you into his passion for animals.

Seemed to me more like he just had a really standard way of being loud and annoying.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:18 am

He was more than annoying... he was passionate. He gave 100% of himself to what he did, he loved it, and it seemed very obvious how much he wanted to share it with people.

That's one reason he was so popular... very few people today know how to give even a fraction of themselves to anything. He had a spark that many people wish they had, or wish they knew how to find it in themselves.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:02 pm

Thilindel wrote:They said the boat was 500m away and he was barely aware when on board initially. I doubt pulling it out manually was a wise choice since that barb was serrated

Well sine HE was the one 3 feet away from the ray when it struck, he was the only one there AT THAT SECOND. Human nature tells us to pull on something embedded in your chest.

We are so funny about life and death. We always offer advice or praise/criticism AFTER the fact.

This guy was a bit *different* but he had GREAT folowing, and was fun to watch, children and adults ALL over adored this guy, and it will be a sad day when he is buried. His sense of adventure and fun is what made him so easy to watch, may his soul be free forever in the great outdoors.
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:18 pm

Being killed by a stingray is no dumber than getting killed by your own stupid driving, your own stupid smoking habit, or any number of your own stupid decisions through the years.

It's hardly worth making fun of this man, because you're likely to die in a much lamer way.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:44 pm

I used to watch him for the longest time. After enough interviews, I saw that he was told to act the way most know him now. It's his public persona, one that shows his desire and excitement. One interview, he said that he was told to 'turn it up' some because he wasn't bubbly enough. It's funny how some are so indifferent, thinking that only an annoying guy has died. This guy was anything but annoying. I thought he was pretty cool.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:20 pm

Sometimes I hope that this bbs has more than its fair share of morons. It would be very disheartening to conclude that the world at large is populated by such a high ratio of imbeciles.

Specifically, I'm referring to Cirath. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:32 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Being killed by a stingray is no dumber than getting killed by your own stupid driving, your own stupid smoking habit, or any number of your own stupid decisions through the years.

It's hardly worth making fun of this man, because you're likely to die in a much lamer way.

i am making fun of the situation because the guy faced so many dangerous animals crocks cobras and other animals that are looked at as the most dangerous on the planet. And yet the guy dies to a stingray.

it is as funny as a group that slays tia, dying on EP on the way home.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Grumdikanikus
Sojourner

Postby Grumdikanikus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:23 pm

I think it would have been much more distressing if he died in a car wreck. At least this way he went out with style.

He was a Nut and we either loved him or loved to hated him. Either way he will be missed.

Grummy
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:02 pm

Fen and I have been walking around going...

"A stingray?? Of all damn things... a STINGRAY???"

I feel sorry for his daughter... he was filming a segment for her show.

Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'

Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:50 pm

Corth wrote:Sometimes I hope that this bbs has more than its fair share of morons. It would be very disheartening to conclude that the world at large is populated by such a high ratio of imbeciles.

Specifically, I'm referring to Cirath. :)

Since I am so mentally deficient, you are going to have to explain this to me. I fail to see how my not being surprised that a man who spent a large portion of his life intentially aggrivating dangerous animals died from an animal attack, or how finding his on air persona less than plesant makes me an imbicile.

Please, enlighten me.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:51 am

Cirath,

It might seem strange but I was mostly just kidding there. Err, sorry. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:44 am

I was at work today and the kids kicked their football into this piddly little creek. They went to get it and one of them calls out in a quite serious sounding manner 'hey man, watch out for stingrays!'.... Was a pretty funny call!

Apparently if you swim over a stingray and it thinks your shadow is a shark about to eat it it might actually try and barb you. He was just unlucky really. I've swam over stingrays in that exact location and many other locations nearby.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:52 pm

Fatal stings extremely rare, with only 17 recorded stingray deaths in Australia since 1969

how's that for odds of dying by stingray..

Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:53 pm

Minofagal wrote:Fatal stings extremely rare, with only 17 recorded stingray deaths in Australia since 1969

how's that for odds of dying by stingray..

That depends. You didn't list the total number of reported stings since 1969. If it's 17 out of 100,000, then yes, it's rare. If it's 17 out of 20, then not so much.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:30 pm

If its 17 out of 20 then its not rare to die from a sting, just extremely rare to be stung in first place. Same difference. Any way you look at it, its a freak occurence.

Also.. those saying he should have left the barb in his heart. Isn't the barb connected to the tail of the stingray? Wouldn't it be inconvenient for him to walk out of the water with a huge live stingray hanging out of his heart? Maybe I'm wrong.. but I don't think its like a bee sting where the stinger is all that is left in the wound and the bee is gone.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:33 pm

It's sad is what it is. :*(
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:35 pm

where i got that figure from didn't list a total number of repoerted stings. but it did say that they are fairly common from stepping on smaller ones while at the beach and such. normally they are just extremely painful and to get rid of the venom to soak in hot hot water. but thats just stings, not even counting the times that it actually pierces the skin, or say IMAPLES YOU!

Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:13 am

Corth wrote: Wouldn't it be inconvenient for him to walk out of the water with a huge live stingray hanging out of his heart?

Inconvenient, yes, but what a great conversation piece at parties!
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:32 pm

So Sad :(

A true legend, he will be well remembered for his fantastic love, respect & work for the environment as well as his great personality.

Unbelievably unlikely way to die - if it had stung him just a few inches (or more) away it almost certainly wouldn't have been fatal.

So much of his work was geared toward saving animals, preserving habitat and for the better of the envioronment - including purchasing various parcels of land around the world purely to prevent any future development on them.

Here are the official websites relating to him, including the wildlifewarriors site through which donations to a very good cause can be made:

http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/

http://www.australiazoo.com.au/

RIP.
BEER
muma
Sojourner

yeah :(

Postby muma » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:13 pm

this made me pretty sad :(
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:13 pm

The latest stupid development: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20 ... 02,00.html

Yeah, I'm sure that he'd have wanted people going around killing stingrays. Next up, the Steve Irwin Toxic Waste Foundation!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:14 pm

Corth wrote:Also.. those saying he should have left the barb in his heart. Isn't the barb connected to the tail of the stingray? ... Maybe I'm wrong.. but I don't think its like a bee sting where the stinger is all that is left in the wound and the bee is gone.

"The stinger may break off, which is non-fatal to the stingray, and will be regrown."

Grabbed it off winkipedia.. forgot to grab the link, but there ya are.

muma
Sojourner

sigh

Postby muma » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:05 pm

i just wanted to say, that recently on the news. it showed his daughter making a speech about her father. It was so sad, he was such a good guy. making a difference in the world, and making people laugh. had a good heart. anyway what his daughter said made me like cry really hard. it's weird cause i've obviously never met Steve Irwin, but people like him are very rare.
Last edited by muma on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:41 pm

The tribute I believe she's talking about is this one. Some of the ad's don't tend to be SFW, nor are some of the vids.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:27 pm

she looks quite a bit like him, specially in the cheeks

Return to “General Discussion Archive”