Battlestar Galactica Discussion (Spoilers)

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Gormal
Sojourner

Battlestar Galactica Discussion (Spoilers)

Postby Gormal » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:54 pm

I would bump the old thread, but wanted to add the spoiler warning. I never watched the show on the air (I'm a TV on DVD guy), but I recently watched the season and a half out on DVD (up to the point where they attack the other battlestar).

I'm really not sure how much I like this show. I hope they go somewhere interesting with the religious aspects. I don't think I like Starbuck being an angry slut. Plus, for the best starpilot in the galaxy, that ho spends way too much time out of the cockpit.

What does everyone else think about the series (not in comparison with the old one).
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:36 pm

I dunno. Ive been an avid sci-fi fan since i was about four years old (serious) and the old battlestar galactica series bored the holy hell outta me, so i never could get into the new one either.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:30 pm

BSG is a lot like Babylon 5 in that the first season is a lot of set up for character and plot. Things start to pick up in season 2 quite a bit. Its worth watching, and its definitely interesting and a bit different than anything else out there right now. I only saw a few episodes of the old show when I was growing up, and don't remember anything about it other than that Dirk was the man, and the Cylons were ghetto silver C-3PO's.

I don't like this splitting the seasons up to make more money crap that SciFi Channel likes to do. I want to get Farscape since I never watched it, but I don't wanna shell out that much cash for each part of the show. I hate how they jack the prices up on all the nerd shows. Nerds and geeks must be the most gullible people out there buying DVDs.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:19 am

To some degree, BSG has been a bit of a retelling of the original. With the new twist on the planet, it should finally be going into uncharted territory. The question is, will that be good or bad?
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:32 am

Lathander wrote:To some degree, BSG has been a bit of a retelling of the original. With the new twist on the planet, it should finally be going into uncharted territory. The question is, will that be good or bad?

Considering that, from what I saw of the original, it was only ever any good before they found Earth, I am going to say it will probably be good. But then, I quite like the new series.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:43 am

I could be crude and say she spends too much time IN the co... nm..

I'm really not too fond of the new series.

HONESTLY...

Are people so damn oblivious to the fact that Baltar walks around talking to himself ALL THE DANG TIME?!?

*eye roll* *shoves her soap box back in the closet*
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:29 am

You've never worked with someone you were sure was certifiably insane, Heather? There are plenty of people on the ship (the real one I live on) that I wouldn't do anything other than shake my head at if I saw them talking to themselves constantly. After enough, everyone would just take it as a matter of course. Hooray for military standards!
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:22 am

Nope. I mean I mutter to myself.. but I don't seduce someone who isn't there, I sure don't have knock down drag-out fights (though I have been known to argue with myself... and loose) but come on. That whole situation is rediculous. I promise you Gormy, you watch it further along and you'll see what I mean... especially when a bomb turns up missing.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:56 pm

I lurb it, plain and simple. I'm an avid scifi junky like Daggaz. Watched the miniseries while holed up in bed after surgery and I was hooked within the first 10 minutes.

It is insteresting to me how people (myself included most of the time) purposely try to NOT see the plot twists coming ahead. I've been surprised by more than one event turn about BSG. I tend to do that when I like a show though. I watch it to be entertained, not to analyize it to death. Thankfully I'm really good at suspending my disbelief until something is over, at which point I then shred it to death... but in the case of this specific show, I CAN'T get enough and I don't care about others being critical of it. I love it, will always watch it and will probably always want more.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Yup

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:33 pm

I posted about it before, and still believe it to be true: best show on television. Plot, dialogue, camera, effects, storylines...
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Wonderful drama meets sci-fi show.

This is the best production the sci-fi channel has ever put out (not that it says too much). Typical low-budget non-hollywood glitches - bad (pointless?) episodes here and there, occasionally spotty writing, overall b- to c+ grade storyline (human made robots destroy civilization and a small group of surviving humans dash across the galaxy to avoid destruction).

Biggest complaints - unusual procession of time. Difficult to tell from show to show just how much time has passed or what is going on. Plot devices fired and forgotten about. Strange things happen in the fleet that only seem to effect two episodes and possibly are mentioned in one more episode - and then it's as if it never happened. The civilian shootings, the fracturing of the fleet, the imprisonment of President Roslyn.

But for all its woes, it's an excellent show. They've done very well in presenting a dramatic, compelling story, filled with dynamic but developed characters that you come to care about (Starbuck needs to be more of a character, and less of a pair of militant tits), and many viewers have found reason to tune back in for the next show.

I wouldn't call it professional, I wouldn't call it amature, but frankly, there are things that professionally produced shows don't do for me that amature producers could never dream of - this show is good enough to watch.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:11 pm

Gormal wrote:You've never worked with someone you were sure was certifiably insane, Heather? There are plenty of people on the ship (the real one I live on) that I wouldn't do anything other than shake my head at if I saw them talking to themselves constantly. After enough, everyone would just take it as a matter of course. Hooray for military standards!

Hooray! They let me near the guns AND the ammo. ~:)
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:13 pm

Forgot to mention: huge fan of the music. Has any one else noticed the stuff they play in the background? Highly unusual. Very creative. Not seen in any other show on television.

Great music.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:30 pm

Best show ever.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Gantoris
Sojourner

Postby Gantoris » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:42 pm

I heart BSG. It is the one show that my wife and I are ever truely excited to watch every week. She isn't a big Sci-fi fan and it quickly became her favorite show. Like Shar I want to be entertained by a show and will give a television show that opportunity and it has not disappointed.

~Gantoris
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:38 pm

I'm still a die hard B5 fan and don't see that show being overtaken in my favorite of all time spot, mostly because it seemed to have a better story arc that BSG does. Even though B5 season 1 lacked a lot, it got a lot of crap out of the way for season 2 which hit the ground running with the major story points. BSG still seems to be wandering around in the plot, not always getting anywhere even when something big happened. Like Teflor mentioned the imprisonment of the President never coming back... I would've liked to see at least some more resentment from her not to mention it changing something.

All in all though, I'll still be watching the whole series.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:56 pm

If you haven't heard already, check out http://www.scifi.com/

New season 3 "webisodes" are up...
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi um..

I've been wanting to know more about this series. Can someone who is really into it kinda give a summary of the series? I remember the old one, but I though in the new one the Cylons looked human? What's with this occupation and resistance?

More info plz! :D
Gantoris
Sojourner

Postby Gantoris » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:58 pm

Take everything you know about old show... forget it. The new story changed all the old historical stuff... also note that BSG is no longer based on an Egyptian theme, but Greek theme.

Man makes Cylons as worker slaves

Cylons grow smart, rebel, start big war

Cylons go 'POOF!' and disappear into the depths of space

After 50 years of plotting and planning Cylons come back.

Big sekret, Cylons now have 12 human models that look like us (but in supermodel form)

While Cylons went away, mankind sorta laxed off and started networking computers again (which as we know from the past, Cylons can infiltrate and take over)

[Enter Battlestar Galactica]

Old ship, on it's final days before being retired and retrofitted into a museum in space.

VIP's on board - big speech, fine and dandy.

Oh no! Cylons attacking all 12 colonies in a coordinated strike!

Dirty traitor human Gaius Baltar was seduced by hot-momma 'Six' aka. Tricia Helfor and tricked into getting let into the code for the Defense Mainframe. Ha-hah! jokes on humanity, we screwed.

BOOM! Humanity and Colonies are getting exterminated by Cylons.

WHOOSH! Battlestar Galactica and the last ships in orbit of Caprica (one of the colonies) all make a FTL (faster than light) jump outta dodge.

Last known humans on the run (in space).

Cylons chase humans... humans run... fight with old crap Vipers that were retired.

Humans have political troubles as new lady president is sworn in (former Secretary of Education) and we bring in 'West Wing (in space)" which is actually damned good.

OH NO! There are Cylons that look like humans on board our ships in the fleet! crazyness ensues.

We learn Cylons are cloned and there are 12 models.

We find out which characters are Cylons and which are not and we are always left wondering who still might be a Cylon.

Loads of character development happens in season 1 and the first half of season 2

Climax, another Battlestar shows up!!! w00t! The Pegasus survived the attack! OMFG! More weapons, more ammo, new Vipers, and asshole command staff...doh!

Enter Ensign Ro Larin.... errr I mean Admiral Cain, baddass officer that wants to crash Adama's happy little balance of power.

Big secret learned by Cylons in how they "cannot die", big mission flown to blow up the cloning space widget.

Cain dies, more Cylons discovered, main characters question their sanity.

The West Wing (in space) plotline gets pretty cool as there is a presidential election held and the bad-dude Gaius Balter wins (doh!)

They find some backwater planet that has interferance to scanning and they feel it would be a good place to settle down and hide from the Cylons.

End of Season 2 - OMG the Cylons found us, the 2 Battlestars in orbit with skeleton crews just got their asses outta here with the rest of the remaining fleet! crap! And all of the people left on planet are now stuck following the orders from the Cylons...

The Resistance - This is the 10 'webisode' story arc that shows the infancy of the Rebel Alliance on the Cylon held 'New Caprica'. Season 3 will be about 2 plots... no doubt the Resistance on planet, and the Fleet on the run from the Cylons.

That, in a very small condensed nutshell is what is going on.

~Gantoris
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:55 am

Bumping this thread since I just got 2.5 in today and can finally finish off season 2. I won't get to touch season 3 until January *weep*. This show had better live up to its promises or I'm gonna be mad!
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Yup

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:56 pm

Same here Gorm. Got it two days ago and have just finished the first CD (3 episodes). Very good stuff, as always. Can't wait to watch the rest. New season starts Oct. 6 on SciFi. 1st season finale was extremely good, as was the 2nd season opener, excellent.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:22 pm

Just finished season 2... wow what the hell? The jump to a year ahead threw me off, but I love the Snidely Whiplash stash that Adama is sportin. I'm looking forward to season 2 a lot, especially with the rebellious Cylon thing they've got going now. What a great show.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Thnx for the summary Gantoris :*)

I might look into checking it out. I like to watch shows on DVD so no commercials!

Return to “General Discussion Archive”