A question for the guys!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Thilindel
Sojourner

A question for the guys!

Postby Thilindel » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Ok, so here I am, overhearing this couple fighting. They're quite animated actually. The boyfriend (husband?) is upset because the chick is choosing to go to a male ob/gyn. The hubby was basically asking why she wouldn't see a female doctor that was in their plan. Looks like the hubby is jealous, as I see it. I kind of see his view, er..maybe I don't. I always thought a teacher is a teacher, so a doctor is a doctor. This guy was saying 'These guys go to med school to not only get trained to look at pussy, but get paid to do it as well.' So that's my odd observation of the day. I felt bad for the chick cuz either way, it'd suck to do the spread eagle *shrug* I do wonder why you'd choose an opposite sex doctor, on the other hand. Not too many dudes go to a female proctologist.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:06 pm

Can you be sure that a female doctor isn't a lesbian? Can you be sure the male doctor isn't gay, for that matter? These days it is far from unlikely.

It seems to me that, as you said, a doctor is a doctor. I also expect that it isn't quite the turn on you might think after five or six years of checking for growths and abnormalities, or whatever it is they do. It's probably like working in an Itallian restaraunt: when you go out to eat after work, you aren't really craving lasagna.

Besides, even if the guy does get a "rise" out of his job, it isn't too terribly likely that he is going to do something that could get him a malpractice suit or thrown in jail. The boyfriend/husband was just overreacting.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:19 pm

Cirath .. at least you made me laugh

hahah

A woman doctor is more understanding and happier to get things doen with faster, but a male doctor tends to be more caring (it actually is VERY uncomfortable)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:24 pm

Oh good grief.. you ask the guys.. Lemme give you a woman's perspective.

First off... Do you know what they DO to you on that table? Ugh. Guys.. imagine a colon check.. X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Except it takes longer.

Trust me.. there is nothing sexual about being laid out with your feet in cold metal stirrups. Leather in the privacy of your home is one thing if you go for that sort of thing. *tease*

Honestly.. there tends to be more men who are OB/Gyns than women. If you look at most plans, you'll see it reading the lists. When you go to the doc, you go for a purpose, not to get hit on by a guy who has probably already performed his 20th exam for the day. You'd think after a while they'd all look the same.

I honestly think this is a simple case of overreaction on the guy's part. Seems to me he might be having problems feeling secure in the relationship.

BTW.. in the case of a male doctor whether its a fam practice or OB/GYN.. the doctor is never in the room alone with a female patient. There is always a nurse to "assist" whether she just stands there or actually helps out. I don't know if its a law, or just a requirement by malpractice insurance companies.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:24 am

I chose a female doctor, and refuse to go to another male doctor ever again, if I can help it, at least for general purpose and Gyn.

I've seen a lot of male doctors over the years... lots and lots and lots... always with the same symptoms, always to be told it was in my head, it was all diet, it was all lifestyle. It took going to a female doctor for her to say "Oh, that sounds just like poly-cystic ovarian syndrome." That's exactly what it was.

I don't think it was a coincidence that a person who happened to HAVE ovaries was more versed in the problems you can have with them. I understand that there are some excellent male OB-GYN out there, and there's a chance I was just very unlucky over the TWENTY years I told countless doctors about the same symptoms, which happened to include mentioning that I had a problem with cysts on my reproductive organs. After my experience, however, I can't understand why any woman wouldn't go see a doctor who has a vested interested in the same parts she has.

If I had a prostate, I'd want to see a doctor who had the same prostate cancer concerns I might have.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:39 am

So instead of getting a doctor the insurance would cover she goes for one that isn't covered -- or not covered as well? Yeah, I'd get upset at that even if the sexes were reversed. Who knows what he's mad about. It could be jealousy, it could be money -- it could be both. I guess, realistically, I'd be a tad suspisious if I were in the guys shoes because of the irrational choice of doctors. The majority of women I've spoken to about things like this always say they prefer a woman doctor -- sooooo, maybe the girl is a whore, maybe she's just an idiot. Either way, tough luck for the boyfriend :)
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:15 pm

Lilira wrote:Oh good grief.. you ask the guys.. Lemme give you a woman's perspective.

Of course he asks the guys. It is a question of the workings of the male mind. As such, he asks if any other men, with similarly finite knowledge of the workings of that field of medicine, would think along the same lines as the man in the tale.

It matters very little what actually happens at said check up, since the entire scenario involves what happens in the man's head before hand.

Kifle wrote:So instead of getting a doctor the insurance would cover she goes for one that isn't covered -- or not covered as well?

He never said anything about whether or not the male doctor was covered in their plan, only that the guy wanted her to choose a female doctor from the list.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:18 pm

I really wouldn't care who she went to for that. In fact, the less I know about such things the better.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Mertak
Sojourner

Postby Mertak » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:23 am

It would be very important to me that whomever my wife chose to see was someone with whom she was comfortable. Gender, age, race, religion, political bent would mean nothing, as long as it was a doc she picked. But I'd certainly have a preference for one that had Sports Illustrated in the waiting room. Might as well enjoy the time spent waiting to go in! ;-)
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:08 pm

I asked a male friend of mine about this. He said "Better him then me!"

He then added how he wouldn't be particularly interested in the job after you come to the reality that you see all different kinds of women, and not just the hot ones - kept and unkept - all day long.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:36 pm

Never trust a man who knows more about your vagina than you.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:35 am

Gormal wrote:Never trust a man who knows more about your vagina than you.

I'll keep that in mind.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"

Return to “General Discussion Archive”