Live chat DnD

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
daggaz
Sojourner

Live chat DnD

Postby daggaz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:22 pm

A little site I just found, its pretty cool so far, about 50 people or so playing usually during EST evening hours.

Basically its a chat based 3.5 DnD open campaign. The setting is in a drow trading city in the underdark, which wihle populated by drow, is rather open to other races due to the heavy influx of traders.

They have 3 DM's registered at the moment, and the various plot lines going tie in to the city and to eachother to various degrees. Basically its like a loose knit, DM-run mud. (you cant sit around and bot xp all day long to hit 20th first tho, thank god).

I play a lvl 3 NG deepdwarf priest, strength and war domains. Getting closer to lvl 4, and I am now the proud half-propietor of one of the local Inns, which I saved from forclosure from a nasty moneylending duergar by the name of Rustmettle, who also happens to be my main nemesis at the moment.

Anyhow, submit a character, and give it a look why dont ya!

http://www.deepest-dark.net/
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:15 pm

I'm going to give it a try at some point. Especially since I can connect to it from work!
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:52 pm

cool cool, just remember, its far more roleplay orientated than toril. Theres combat too (which of course requires a DM presence, at least for anything done IC where you can get xp and treasure), but theres a good deal of character building, meeting other people, finding your place in the city, and following various plot hooks. So far Im really enjoying it tho.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:08 am

People suggested live chat back when I ran a realtime online campaign. Horrific visions of tinny voices casting missiles at the darkness were sufficient for me to reject that plan.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:51 am

Valkyrie needs food... badly.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:14 pm

mori: hmm... maybe I gave the wrong impression cuz im such a n00b, its not voice chat. Its text. I just meant it happens in real time rather than play-by-post or whatever.. which is SO slow.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:59 pm

Ah, okay. Is there some advantage this has over AIM and IRC?
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:37 am

We´ll, not really sure, having never played over AIM or IRC. The nice thing about this site, is that it is basically like a mud, in that you can log on at anytime and interact with other players. Now, whether or not there is a dm online who will also run an adventure is not guaranteed, especially at 5am Est etc...

So far, I get to have a few adventures a week, plus a lot of RP (RPing in town can give xp as well if a DM is watching, which they often are). They are working on getting more DM's as well, and the player base is expanding every day.

Yesterday my 4th lvl cleric (second on the chat to level!) and some other 3rds barely managed to survive an encounter with a water naga, and the mithril ore we salvaged from the invaded mine, was just enough extra cash for him to buy some +2 fullplate.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:02 pm

I think the tough thin about that place though Daggaz is that they don't provide any resources for building a char.

TBH, I have absolutely no idea what a 28 point buy is and I've got no idea where to even begin.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:42 pm

Oh... well yeah I guess its a tad tough if you never played TableTop DnD. Sorry... umm, all the main resources you can get for free here:

www.d20srd.org

Its all the open-game content for core DnD, version 3.5 (the latest thing).

You guys might wanna read this, just so you get where 2.0 is going to take Toril...

Character sheets and other instructions/information you can find in the character creation thread on the game-site forum.

28 point buy means you start with an 8 in all stats, str con dex wis int and cha, buying up to a 14 costs one point each. Buying 15 and 16 costs two points each. Buying 17 and 18 costs three points each.

You can't buy higher than an 18, but racial adjustments (for example dwarves get +2 con) go after point-buy, and so can put you up to a 20 max.

So I have am an dwarf, and receive +2 con, -2 cha along with a slew of other things you can find in the SRD description.

I buy an 16 in str. That costs 10 points.
I buy a 14 in dex. Thats another 6 points.
I buy a 16 in con. Thats 10 points.
I leave int at 8. 0 points.
I raise wis to a 10. 2 points.
I leave cha at 8. 0 points. Total :28 points.

Then I add my racial modifiers, so a final 20 in con, and a 6 in cha, everything else is the same.

Then you choose your class and so on according to the SRD.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”