Hunting.

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Tasan
Sojourner

Hunting.

Postby Tasan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:52 am

Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Wow, wonder if they make it in larger sizes. I just got all kinds of cool ideas.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:26 am

I want one. Or fifty.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:26 pm

Hunting in America has entered a long twilight. The number of license holders—roughly 15 million through 2004—has actually shrunk by about 2 million people since 1982, when the population was 230 million (versus 300 million today).

I like how the makers of this 'broadhead' try to lean on the idea that this is a more humane way to kill a turkey. LOL. I'm sure that was what they had in mind when they developed it...a more humane way to hunt...

And before you flame me for being a bleeding heart liberal. I have a gun sitting in my porch that I probably use to kill something on average of once a week (rabbits mostly). I grew up hunting and have matured from wanton killing for sport to very selective harvesting for my personal use. Outside of killing rabbits to keep the population down, I only use a bow now for deer and I'm transitioning to a sightless recurve because the integrity of hunting has long been abandoned...as evidenced by tripe like this video.

So, kill kill kill while you still can. The hunting constituency in the US has shot itself in the foot (pun intended) and is rapidly being marginalized.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:50 pm

avak wrote:I like how the makers of this 'broadhead' try to lean on the idea that this is a more humane way to kill a turkey. LOL. I'm sure that was what they had in mind when they developed it...a more humane way to hunt...

I expect the concept has nothing to do with being humane, and everything to do with the fact that a head shot on a turkey is pretty much the only way to kill it without ruining the bird. Otherwise, the kinetic energy dispersal from anything more significant than a .22 would do a pretty fair job of pulverizing the body, or so I've been told.

This item just makes the prefered method of killing a lot easier to manage on the first shot with a bow.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:53 pm

I've shot turkeys with a bow, shotgun, .223 and .270. A .270 to the main body certainly does extensive damage, but I'd guess less than 10% waste for sure.

As a side note, anyone that actually shoots a bow in the elements knows how freaking hard those shots they show would be. I consider myself an above avg shot and even at 10yds I would miss over 50% of the time. Most turkey shots in my neck of the woods are probably 20-50 yards.

I'd also admit that I've seen my fair share of wounded turkeys and that if you do have the ability to use this crazy broadhead it would be completely effective. I'd still advocate better skillz before better gadgets.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:23 pm

I prefer the Hawkeye/Green Arrow approach. Sure, hitting something in the eye at a quarter mile is impressive, but that doesn't mean gadget arrows aren't fun!
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:08 am

avak wrote: wanton killing

Yes.
I want a gun, a big gun, with the words in a bright red shweet font along it: "Wanton Killing."

..Are turkeys vermin and/or found in huge numbers wherever they live?
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:04 am

ssar wrote:..Are turkeys vermin and/or found in huge numbers wherever they live?

I'm almost tempted to explain that, since the turkey is native to North America and you're an Aussie, but I'm not entirely sure you're serious... or even slightly sure.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:02 pm

Wonder what made that hunter more effective. The freakin' big arrow or the ninja mask and the camo pants?
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream

Return to “General Discussion Archive”