Releasing the Code

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Releasing the Code

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:33 pm

Would it be incredibly rude to suggest that the mud's code be released? I wouldn't mind taking a crack at developing myself.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:52 pm

DikuMUD itself is already freely available, as are many derivatives. Unless you want _this_ MUD specifically...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:25 pm

Someone would start improving it and everyone would leave. The forgers would never want that to happen!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:03 pm

You seem bitter...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:10 pm

How's the tinfoil hat working Sarvis?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:33 pm

You're the one who seems to think the forgers are in some kind of conspiracy to prevent the MUD from having players...

There's plenty of competition out there though, so shouldn't everything be perfect?

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:00 am

Don't let the man keep you down Sarvis.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:16 am

I was thinking it might be nice to do a release before toril2 came out. Not of zones, just the rest. Then people could have an interesting look over what was if they wanted. Since it won't be in effect anymore?
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:33 am

I think the major problem with releasing the code base is that there are likely legal issues.
Another minor issue is that it is a cobbled mess in some areas. It would be much simpler to start from scratch with something like circlemud.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:08 pm

How can there be legal issues? It's based on Diku which is open source, and has already been released to two sets of programmers hasn't it?

Corth could probably explain I guess, if he weren't busy being an ass.

Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:24 pm

I'm sure its all kinds of complicated.
My thinking is that while diku is open source, the code written for toril/sojourn/duris/black knight/copper/sequent over the years by numerous people, is not.
I really don't know the specifics of anything, its just my guess at why it would never be released.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:44 pm

While the source is open, extensive modifications have taken place over the years to where the base is hardly recognizable and enters into the realm of intellectual property.

But I also know that an agreement was reached, upon the founding of this incarnation of TorilMUD, that the then owners of the MUD agreed not to release the code. Developers such as myself have agreed to a NDA regarding the code base and our access to it.

It's a topic you could bring up with Shevarash directly as well via email if you like, but I don't see the Toril source becoming broadly available.
Eilistraee
kyntara
Sojourner

Postby kyntara » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:36 pm

The biggest problem with this is then people would know all the logic of the combat code. How exactly skills work, what exact spell damage is, etc. It's a big can of worms.

I probably have a copy of Sojourn code from around 1994 though somewhere ;)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:46 pm

Actually, knowing the combat logic shouldn't matter after 2.0 is released. Would just be how things _used_ to work!

Return to “General Discussion Archive”