Which Republican are you supporting in the primaries?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.

Who are you supporting?

Sam Brownback
No votes
Rudy Giuliani
12%
Duncan Hunter
No votes
Mike Huckabee
No votes
John McCain
32%
Ron Paul
40%
Mitt Romney
16%
Tom Tancredo
No votes

Total votes: 25
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:21 pm

I don't think Huckabee has a chance of getting the nomination. He might win one or a couple primaries due to some of the wacko bible thumpers, but thats it.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:51 pm

Huckabee is a flash in the pan. Its interesting how the hard right is having a difficult time finding a candidate. They keep oscillating between Huckabee, Romney, and Thompson. This could actually help Guiliani snag the nomination. Still difficult for me to imagine him winning the general election.. but of course I would be thrilled.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:05 am

Corth wrote:This could actually help Guiliani snag the nomination. Still difficult for me to imagine him winning the general election.. but of course I would be thrilled.

Why? You like hearing about 9/11 every five seconds of his speeches?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:10 am

I don't know. Guiliani only has defense and security. His private life is a wreck. Romney, who is my choice, suffers from his own religion. I've never seen such a passionless campaigner than Thompson. McCain is on the wrong side of immigration. This is why Huckabee is finding support. The trouble is if you listen to him, he's a liberal on immigration and economics.

Momentum is a powerful thing in politics and right now Huckabee has it.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:19 pm

Yeah Huckabee is certainly not a conservative except for his religion. Basically I think he is a jimmy carter running as a republican... scary stuff.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:00 pm

As a liberal, I don't see Huckabee that way at all. At best (meaning, as close to liberal as I would possibly call it) he's a moderate.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:10 am

Huckabee let convicts out of prison early. He's for government giveaways for illegals. In terms of fiscal policy and crime, he's a liberal, even if he is a bit of an oddball liberal.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:23 pm

Hes like a liberal on crack... or a republican on crack... either way, the guy is on crack!
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:04 pm

Can't the idiot see that isn't really getting him the votes he needs? At some point he has to figure out that people are scared he's going to go on a personal crusade, much like Bush has, and completely ignore every problem we are having at home. Four years ago, this campaign would have worked. Now people aren't as swayed nearly as much by invoking the almighty 9/11.

Go McCain!

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:06 am

Wow, thats not a politically correct advertisement at all, is it? I freaking love Rudy. :)

I disagree with you Kifle. Rudy's strength is his perceived leadership ability in the face of utter chaos. He was tested on 9/11, and came out smelling like a rose. In order to succeed politically, he needs to play up the risks that we face, so that people will want to elect someone, like him, who can handle it. Ultimately the #1 purpose of government is to protect the lives of its citizens. Rudy is merely reminding people of that priority. Its something that people SHOULD think about. Notwithstanding the fact that we have not experienced a major terrorist incident on US soil since 9/11 (It's difficult for Bush to take credit for something that DIDN'T happen), the world, these days, is a very dangerous place.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:45 am

Corth wrote:Wow, thats not a politically correct advertisement at all, is it? I freaking love Rudy. :)

I disagree with you Kifle. Rudy's strength is his perceived leadership ability in the face of utter chaos. He was tested on 9/11, and came out smelling like a rose. In order to succeed politically, he needs to play up the risks that we face, so that people will want to elect someone, like him, who can handle it. Ultimately the #1 purpose of government is to protect the lives of its citizens. Rudy is merely reminding people of that priority. Its something that people SHOULD think about. Notwithstanding the fact that we have not experienced a major terrorist incident on US soil since 9/11 (It's difficult for Bush to take credit for something that DIDN'T happen), the world, these days, is a very dangerous place.

To me it only shows that he's a one-trick pony that believes he's a one-trick pony. Not only that, but he has an unhealthy obsession with 9/11. Granted, leadership under pressure is an admirable quality we should all look for in a presidential candidate, however, he's very lackluster and suspect in most every other category. It's still up in the air whether or not he thinks this country's name is the United States of America rather than Nine-Eleven.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:07 am

You might be sick of it, but 9/11 was a truly defining moment in american culture, society, and politics. The second half of the 20th century was all about the cold war. The first half of the 21st century will likely be about islamic radicalism. I don't think Rudy is overreaching when he demonstrates, quite effectively, the risks and dangers we still face as a nation.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Corth wrote:You might be sick of it, but 9/11 was a truly defining moment in american culture, society, and politics. The second half of the 20th century was all about the cold war. The first half of the 21st century will likely be about islamic radicalism. I don't think Rudy is overreaching when he demonstrates, quite effectively, the risks and dangers we still face as a nation.

Unfortunately for Rudy we have someone in the Republican primary right now who most people agree is even more tested and more trusted when it comes to protecting the country--AND he's respected by most of his peers, independents and even some of us liberal Democrats (read: he's more electable). He's someone who doesn't have to invoke 9/11/2001 in order for people to say "Oh yeah, he did a good job there". That other candidate also won't have a lot of firefighters and families of workers at Ground Zero who will be doing all they can to stop him and make him look foolish for invoking 9/11. I think compared to this person, Giuliani leaves a nastier taste in the mouth of, well, all types of Republicans.

Yeah, I'm talkin' about McCain.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:02 pm

McCain will never win the nomination because the conservatives hate him. Hence, he is unelectable.

I agree, however, that he has demonstrated considerable leadership abilities during his lifetime. Interesting that the Republican field is pretty deep this time around... and yet whoever is nominated will likely lose the general election. The mood in the country is to elect a Democrat.

As an aside, most of the firefighter and 9/11 families are very grateful to Rudy. Shit, the guy personally attended every single firefighter funeral. That says a lot.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Corth wrote:McCain will never win the nomination because the conservatives hate him. Hence, he is unelectable.

And conservatives like Rudy? Don't forget, you're from NY, and that's just one state--of course many Republicans downstate are going to like Rudy... but the United States is pretty big.

Corth wrote:As an aside, most of the firefighter and 9/11 families are very grateful to Rudy. Shit, the guy personally attended every single firefighter funeral. That says a lot.

I obviously don't agree with your assessment for the firefighters' feelings for Rudy but maybe we've seen testimonials from different segments of that subgroup. Attending funerals is a nice gesture but it doesn't tell me he's capable of running the country.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Rudy actually gets a fair amount of conservative support, notwithstanding his ambiguous position on abortion. He is much more respected among conservatives than McCain who is viewed as a traitor. Though I also doubt that Guiliani will get the nomination. Unfortunately, I think it will be Romney.

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:47 am

Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:33 am

McCain won SC while Romney got NV. Right now, that puts Romney ahead of McCain for delegates, but Florida is up next. Guiliani might actually try to win a state, shocker. With Hunter out and Paul an afterthought, that leaves Romney, McCain, Huckabee and Guiliani.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Imis9 wrote:McCain won SC while Romney got NV. Right now, that puts Romney ahead of McCain for delegates, but Florida is up next. Guiliani might actually try to win a state, shocker. With Hunter out and Paul an afterthought, that leaves Romney, McCain, Huckabee and Guiliani.

I think 9/11 is dead in the water at this point. I'm pulling for McCain to win the candidacy. Republicans seem to be confused and very split at this point. The one thing that is painfully obvious, though, is that people aren't backing somebody who can't go ten seconds without saying something about 9/11 in order to garner support.

Edit: Does anybody else see Ron Paul as this year's Ralph Nadar for the republicans?

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Kifle wrote:I'm pulling for McCain to win the candidacy.

If McCain wins the nomination, he'll pull a lot of independent voters his way. Are you crazy to hope he wins the nomination? You're not even considering who his VP may be (read: McCain has a higher chance of dying in office than the younger candidates and his VP could be a social conservative chosen to ensure he gets Republican voters to come out on Election Day).

Kifle wrote:Edit: Does anybody else see Ron Paul as this year's Ralph Nadar for the republicans?

One can only hope.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:49 pm

McCain undoubtedly would choose someone with impeccable conservative credentials as VP. Should he be lucky enough to win the nomination, which I think is highly unlikely, Birile is right.. he is the most electable republican candidate. I still think that either Obama or Clinton would beat him.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Birile wrote:
Kifle wrote:I'm pulling for McCain to win the candidacy.

If McCain wins the nomination, he'll pull a lot of independent voters his way. Are you crazy to hope he wins the nomination? You're not even considering who his VP may be (read: McCain has a higher chance of dying in office than the younger candidates and his VP could be a social conservative chosen to ensure he gets Republican voters to come out on Election Day).

Kifle wrote:Edit: Does anybody else see Ron Paul as this year's Ralph Nadar for the republicans?

One can only hope.

I only want McCain to win because I don't want Obama to win. Personally, I think a McCain run country would be better than an Obama ran one. So, he's basically my contingency plan. I really don't consider myself republican or democrat. I just vote for the person I feel is the best candidate no matter which party. Things may change by then. Obama may do something that I really like, but it is very doubtful at this point.

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:54 pm

So I'm curious... what viable candidate are people going to vote for now in the primary? I see 10 people previously said Ron Paul, but he isn't going to be around much longer and he certainly won't get the nomination.
The choices are McCain, Romney, Giuliani.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:15 am

Hope you guys like McCain...

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:59 pm

McCain picked a very good year to run. Well, he always runs. So this was a great year for McCain.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 pm

rylan wrote:So I'm curious... what viable candidate are people going to vote for now in the primary? I see 10 people previously said Ron Paul, but he isn't going to be around much longer and he certainly won't get the nomination.
The choices are McCain, Romney, Giuliani.

I would be extremely surprised if Ron Paul didn't run on the Libertarian ticket or as an Independent.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm very disturbed by the attention Tim Pawlenty is receiving in reference to possibly being McCain's running mate.

Someone with more knowledge please assuage my fears and tell me that he would never do something so stupid.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Oghma
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Oghma » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Tasan wrote:I'm very disturbed by the attention Tim Pawlenty is receiving in reference to possibly being McCain's running mate.

Someone with more knowledge please assuage my fears and tell me that he would never do something so stupid.

Ack, I haven't heard that. I really hope it's not true. Pawlenty has been a great governor, and to partner with McCain wouldn't be very smart imo.

I had heard that he was a possibility for a VP canidate, but to choose McCain? This makes me sad.
Oghma The Lord of Knowledge, God of Bards
[ Administrator ] of TorilMUD
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 pm

The VP position is all about posturing. John Thune from South Dakota is also on a short list, mostly because he is a Repub puppet. The nominees are looking for a veep that will balance out the ticket and the possible veep candidates are looking to enhance their political careers. Therefore, many names get kicked around during the primaries. Pawlenty clearly fancies himself a national political figure, so no surprise that his name is up there. Seems like the political chemistry is not that great, although I don't know a ton about Pawlenty.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:30 pm

AFAIC Pawlenty is a horrible choice for a leader to succeed a president. I disagree with someone calling him a "good" governor, when he has been at best adequate. He's made several stupid moves that have had real repercussions in this state, and I just hope someone is grasping at straws when they link his name to a Vice-presidency.

Pawlenty is great at showing up after a disaster happens and putting the "best face forward" look on, but in reality, he rarely has helped the people of our state as a majority and has hindered real progress.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:09 am

Pawlenty would be a bad choice because he is not conservative enough. He's raised taxes in Minnesota. That would just reinforce the poor opinion of McCain as a Rhino.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:30 pm

Err, is a rhino what you get when you cross a donkey with an elephant? :)

But yeah, if McCain is smart he picks a female conservative. Especially if Obama is the dem nominee.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:59 pm

Rhino is the animal from RINO (Republican in Name Only).

Return to “General Discussion Archive”