Machiavellian Monkeys

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Corth
Sojourner

Machiavellian Monkeys

Postby Corth » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:22 pm

http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/07102503.htm

Money Quote:
‘What rhesus macaques and humans may have in common is that many of their psychological and behavioural dispositions have been shaped by intense competition between individuals and groups during the evolutionary history of these species’ Maestripieri said. Rhesus groups can function like armies, and this may explain why these monkeys have been so successful in the competition with other primates. Pressure to find Machiavellian solutions to social problems may also have led to the evolution of larger human brains.

‘Our Machiavellian intelligence is not something we can be proud of, but it may be the secret of our success. If it contributed to the evolution of our large brains and complex cognitive skills, it also contributed to the evolution of our ability to engage in noble spiritual and intellectual activities, including our love and compassion for other people,’ Maestripieri said.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: Machiavellian Monkeys

Postby Kifle » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:29 pm

Corth wrote:http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/07102503.htm

Money Quote:
‘What rhesus macaques and humans may have in common is that many of their psychological and behavioural dispositions have been shaped by intense competition between individuals and groups during the evolutionary history of these species’ Maestripieri said. Rhesus groups can function like armies, and this may explain why these monkeys have been so successful in the competition with other primates. Pressure to find Machiavellian solutions to social problems may also have led to the evolution of larger human brains.

‘Our Machiavellian intelligence is not something we can be proud of, but it may be the secret of our success. If it contributed to the evolution of our large brains and complex cognitive skills, it also contributed to the evolution of our ability to engage in noble spiritual and intellectual activities, including our love and compassion for other people,’ Maestripieri said.

I'm confused... how does one go from examining machiavellian behavior to a hypothesis that such dispositions cultivate spirituality, love, and compassion for others? I think the guy has been swining on vines for too long.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
moritheil
Sojourner

Re: Machiavellian Monkeys

Postby moritheil » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:25 pm

Kifle wrote:
Corth wrote:http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/07102503.htm

Money Quote:

I'm confused... how does one go from examining machiavellian behavior to a hypothesis that such dispositions cultivate spirituality, love, and compassion for others? I think the guy has been swining on vines for too long.

You're not confused - he just threw something in to try to suggest that love, spirituality, and altruism are positive traits as well so as to avoid presenting negative news. Going from the blurb, it has little to do with the actual research he's presenting.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:24 pm

'our ability to engage in noble spiritual and intellectual activities, including our love and compassion for other people', is a result of the larger brains that we have evolved. To the extent that humans evolved in such a manner because of our competitive social structures, it could be postulated that our competitive nature resulted in some of these more positive traits.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:28 pm

Corth wrote:'our ability to engage in noble spiritual and intellectual activities, including our love and compassion for other people', is a result of the larger brains that we have evolved. To the extent that humans evolved in such a manner because of our competitive social structures, it could be postulated that our competitive nature resulted in some of these more positive traits.

? It still makes the guy look like a fruitloop. Not sure what the requote with the added line was supposed to do. This is almost as confusing as Sarvis' Communism threa -- they both end in far-fetched hypothesis based on the presented evidence :(
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:52 am

I'm not trying to make a point Kifle. I thought the article was interesting. You asked a question about how the guy came to his conclusion, and I explained my understanding of his reasoning.

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”