Guitar Hero 3

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Guitar Hero 3

Postby Ragorn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:24 am

Who else is rocking out?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:26 am

Played it at walmart for about five minutes and was pretty unimpressed. I still play one and two, but three... well, there just seems to be something about it. Also, the new xbox 360 controller they had for the demo sucked. The "pick" and the "string" buttons required a lot more force to press than the old school version, so that might have been the majority of my problem. And the notes they had you play on "Evenflow" were horribly wrong. They'd have you double pick notes when it is played as a slide on the real guitar, so I was pretty upset about that as well. I'm hoping that isn't the case for the other songs on there. It looked cool though :) I might pick it up after I play it at a friend's house for a while.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:01 pm

After getting excited and breaking my GH1 controller on the coffee table I'm shying away from these for a while. It was not fun to explain.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:54 pm

You're playing it on the 360. There's your problem right there.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:53 pm

I tried the first one out at a buddies house. He was pretty addicted, but I didn't care for the game much. I play guitar, and I found the repetative fret pushing rather uninteresting with no strings. I also noticed that some of the cord progressions (if you can call pushing frets that) are incorrect.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Well nevermind then, I didn't realize we had a board full of guitar and video game coneissours here.

:roll:
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:39 pm

How is the game Ragorn?

I have Guitar Hero 2 and really enjoyed it. Though I still spend too much time playing WoW, I like taking breaks every once in a while and Guitar Hero 2 was great for that. Will probably pick it up for the 360 sometime soon.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:45 pm

I think the song selection in GH3 is much better than it was in the last game. Pearl Jam, GnR, Kiss, Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, Stevie Ray, Santana... they put together a really good lineup. Now that the game is popular and profitable, more master tracks are being used... probably about 50% of the tracks in the game are master tracks (as opposed to covers), and the (surviving) Sex Pistols actually re-recorded Anarchy in the UK specifically for the game.

The XBox 360 guitar is a bit crappy, at least the one I got. It has a detachable neck, and for some reason, my green button is inconsistent and cuts out on holds from time to time. Going to see if I can exchange it today. It's wireless though, so that's nice.

Battle mode is a little cheesy, but it's tolerable. Playing with Tom Morello is pretty fantastic, the track he wrote for his boss battle is sick.

Good luck with Metallica's One... the solo looks like Jordan.
- Ragorn
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:12 pm

Ragorn wrote:Good luck with Metallica's One... the solo looks like Jordan.

?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:20 pm

- Ragorn
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:40 pm

Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:02 pm

- Ragorn
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Just picked my copy (PS3) up before work today, so I only got to play two songs on Quick Play before heading out. As a disclaimer, I have a friend that's been into Harmonix games for quite some time and we have been playing those games together for a while.

The new guitar feels a lot more solid compared to the old SGs, and while I was surprised that it was "some assembly required", I think it's actually kind of cool to have built-in mod support. (If you'd ever looked at the Guitar Hero Game forums when the game first game out, a lot of people would put custom faceplates and necks on, so I assume making the guitar modular was a reaction to that).

I tried Slow Ride and Story of My Life on Expert in quick play. Neversoft's interpretation of the note charts did worry me a little before getting the game, and I'm still not assuaged by what I saw. Their logic for what's a HOPO or not is different from Harmonix, and arguments about "realism" aside, it's going to take a little practice to get used to, I forsee. I also noted that they seem to be maybe a little bit three-chord happy.

It's rather noticable, also, that the notes scrolling down the screen were designed differently from the other two games (obviously because Harmonix got to keep their code and Neversoft had to rebuild from scratch). At the moment I don't really like that it doesn't look the same, but I feel like this is something that I just need to get used to.

Maybe I'll discuss it more tomorrow once I've gotten some play time under my belt.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:07 pm

Yes, the HOPO system is a bit different... it's more "accurate" in that you have to follow which notes were picked by the artist. It's most noticeable during Santana's Black Magic Woman, where he'll pick the fourth note in a five-note descending scale. Picking and HOPO is also critical to Cliffs of Dover, where almost the entire chorus consists of one pick/one slide combos.

They're very chord happy. The heavy part of One looks like this (read from the bottom up, as if you were reading up the screen):

Code: Select all

RY O
G
G
G

G YB
G
G
G
G
G
G

G YB
G
G
G
G
G
G
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:29 am

Me and a friend beat everything except One and that slayer song on expert (and the rock battle since it wasn't up yet). My impression so far...

Completely and utterly rediculous. They fucked up the franchise imo. On GH1-2 did you ever notice how the bonus tracks, especially on 2, were much harder to play than the actual songs in the game? Like, they'd use extra three note chords. Well, GH3 is just the same. I mean, I can understand if I'm actually playing a three finger chord like g/a/em/d etc.. but they're making you use three finger chords for a simple bar chord in drop d... which you can freaking use one finger for on the actual guitar. This, to me, is just a retarded way to make the game harder.

My second complaint is that it seems like they picked songs with "jordan" solos in them to furthur complicate things. The intro to the slayer song is just annoying, but I'm sure I'll ace it after a few more sessions, but the One solo looks too daunting and I don't know if I'll be bothered enough to really ever want to beat the game. This is what I think the checklist was to see if the songs were ready...

1. Sweep scales? Check
2. Tremolo picking? Check
3. Play extra notes where slides are supposed to be? Check
4. 5 note stretch? Check
5. At least 30% 3 finger chords? Check

Anyway, while I dislike the game overall, and think they really fucked this attempt, I still like a few of the songs. I really liked playing the weezer song and stevie ray. Cliffs was fun except for the 5 note stretches during the first main riff. One is awesome before buckethead took control of kirk. Eh, well, a lot of the songs were fun, but the three note chord usage was overboard and my wrists end up hurting after a few songs (tendonitis). Hard is the old expert. Expert is the new jordan.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:50 pm

GH chords have nothing to do with reality... it's just a game. It's not a guitar simulation. There are only so many ways you can make a game with only five buttons hard... and GH2 was too easy. They needed to do something to make GH3 a challenge.

That said, One's solo is just stupid. It's going to be "star power and flail," and try as I might to actually work out the solos to some of the other songs, I have zero chance of ever doing anything remotely productive with One. I'll play it over and over until I happen to hit the right random buttons and get through that section. I'm curious to see whether DWDTG will be flailing or skill.

On the other hand, I like Cliffs of Dover, a lot. It's a good song, a good pick for the game, and virtually every note in the song requires skill rather than button mashing. The solos are all manageable, and it's still hard as fuck to run up a streak on.
- Ragorn
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:18 pm

Kifle - let's be perfectly clear what you're talking about when you say "they fucked up the franchise".

This game was *not designed* by the same company that did GH and GH2 (and GH 80's). That was Harmonix, who have made games like FreQuency and Amplitude and Karaoke revolution, and are making Rock Band.

GH3 was developed by Neversoft, who are famous for taking a pretty good skating game and making an "epic" franchise out of it. (I use quotes around epic because, of course, I'm really thinking about it being a sequel factory now).

Ironically, the soundtrack on the TH games has often been fairly well selected, but that doesn't mean that Neversoft has any experience making rhythm games. All Harmonix has ever made (Eye Toy nonwithstanding) is rhythm games.

Having played through five sections last night, I definitely still have issues with the game. The firmness of the guitar's neck buttons makes me lose holds fairly often. The strum bar isn't at the level of sensitivity that I like. I actually do a lot worse when having to simply strum GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG as opposed to various scales and solo type stuff. And, of course, the whole HOPO thing.

Also, the online support so far is pretty much a joke. At 3am Eastern last night there were maybe 5-10 matches available at any given time, and yet I'd time out when trying to connect to any of them 8 times out of 9. I also couldn't link my guitarhero.com account because "the game is massively popular" and my "Slot token is invalid" (which I think means that the web/link servers are being overloaded... at 3am in the morning.)

That said, I liked the song selection and I do plan to attempt to get through the whole game on Expert if possible. However, I'm really looking forward to Rock Band at this point.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:48 am

selerial wrote:Kifle - let's be perfectly clear what you're talking about when you say "they fucked up the franchise".

They meaning neversoft. I think Harmonix did a great job with GH2 by fixing the hammer-on/pull-off mechanics from GH1 and adding in a few 3finger chords. Neversoft, however, has turned it from a fun simulation game to a chore by putting in needlessly hard 3finger chords throughout songs -- many of which don't belong. It's like making a half-note change go from orange to green just to make the song tough... it's arbitrary and retarded. It is something I think ruins the intent of the game. To make a parallel to toril: The random overusage of the 3finger chords on gh3 is much like randomly putting in 1way rooms to zones. It's and unimaginative way to make something difficult to the point where it's just annoying.

As for the song selection, yeah, I think they did a good job. I would have liked to see the trend continue with stairway as the final song, but, meh. However, I think the song selections in the other two games was good as well. Imo, they took a step back from gh2-3. I'm personally disappointed.

selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:29 am

Yeah, I probably came off as a bit preachy there, but I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page of who "they" referred to, as it was potentially ambiguous.

And I completely agree, of course. If I wanted to play a real guitar, I would. If I want to play a video game about guitar playing, I think Harmonix had the right balance of "realism" and "good gameplay design choices". If I want to play a game for the eXtreme generation, I guess I'd play GH3. And that's not to say that I won't, but I agree that so far it's been somewhat dissapointing.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:20 pm

Well, I got through One today... I doubt I'll get through slayer anytime soon. Rediculous crap.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:33 pm

Yeah, I've been boosting my scores on the other songs before I sink the time needed to beat Raining Blood and One. One in particular... it's not even something I can practice, I just have to flail the right buttons during the solo to get me to the next part. It's going to be all luck, and the solo is like five minutes into the song, so each try is very long.
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:14 pm

Ragorn wrote:Yeah, I've been boosting my scores on the other songs before I sink the time needed to beat Raining Blood and One. One in particular... it's not even something I can practice, I just have to flail the right buttons during the solo to get me to the next part. It's going to be all luck, and the solo is like five minutes into the song, so each try is very long.

Actually, I thought the same thing, but slayer seems to be a lot harder. The trick to the one solo I've found was to tremolo pick and keep your three fingers rolling (not even worrying about hitting the true notes, but try). through the begining of the solo until the alternating quad rolls (during the really fast three finger roll section). After that it's pretty easy. Also, just save your full star power for right before the begining of the solo. That's how I did it, anyway. GL

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:03 am

Yep, that's the plan. It's just a matter of my three-finger tremolos hitting the right notes as I strum. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
- Ragorn
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Beat One, didn't take all that long. Working on Raining Blood, which is neither fun nor easy. Like the Slipknot song, I'll luck my way through it once and then never touch it again.

I've got 34 five-star songs now, also. In GH2 I was only able to five-star 31 of 40 songs, so I've already got that beat. It's funny, GH3 definitely seems harder than 2, but either the five-star scores are set lower relative to the difficulty, or the hard songs in GH2 are just REALLY hard.
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:52 pm

Ragorn wrote:Beat One, didn't take all that long. Working on Raining Blood, which is neither fun nor easy. Like the Slipknot song, I'll luck my way through it once and then never touch it again.

I've got 34 five-star songs now, also. In GH2 I was only able to five-star 31 of 40 songs, so I've already got that beat. It's funny, GH3 definitely seems harder than 2, but either the five-star scores are set lower relative to the difficulty, or the hard songs in GH2 are just REALLY hard.

Well, I noticed the tremolo picking is a tad easier on 3 than 2, but that just may be because I've been practicing on the real guitar lately as well. I think in gh2 there were more "weird" songs like institutionalized and psychobilly retard song. I could 5 star most of gh2, but those types of songs killed me and I could never get past 3 stars on either of them.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Yep I was 31/40 five-stars, and the other 9 songs were all four-stars. I just barely, BARELY squeaked out four stars on Hillbilly Psycho Freakout, but I was within a couple thousand points shy of five-stars on YYZ.

The only songs I still have three stars on in GH3 are the Slipknot song and Number of the Beast. The first time I beat One, I got four stars on it (which also happened to me with Hangar 18 and Freebird... four starred both on the first try).

I think the HOPOs are more forgiving in general in GH3. I know I've missed notes by a fairly good margin, and still gotten credit for them.
- Ragorn
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Only three songs I haven't five-starred now... Knights of Cydonia (which is within reach), Raining Blood, and One. Hit Cliffs of Dover and Number of the Beast today, and cleaned up some of the mid-level songs I was missing.
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:58 pm

[quote="Ragorn"]Only three songs I haven't five-starred now... Knights of Cydonia (which is within reach), Raining Blood, and One. Hit Cliffs of Dover and Number of the Beast today, and cleaned up some of the mid-level songs I was missing.[/quote

Bastard! I still haven't beaten raining blood. I haven't played since I beat one, but I hardly doubt I'll five star quite a few of the songs. It takes a lot of luck for me on the tremolo picking parts. especially in the heavier songs.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Failed Raining Blood at 97% yesterday. Protip: During the opening solo, you can do very well by just holding your fingers over RYB and hitting every cascade as it crosses those notes. Just ignore the G and O notes, and hit the middle three. You'll need to blow star power halfway through, but you can get out of the solo doing that.

I ended up failing the tremolos at the end.
- Ragorn
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:35 pm

You guys should try DDR. Once you figure out that it's essentially the same game with your legs, it's pretty fun.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Yasden wrote:You're playing it on the 360. There's your problem right there.

Hey slacker, buy Eye of Judgement.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 pm

Dalar wrote:You guys should try DDR. Once you figure out that it's essentially the same game with your legs, it's pretty fun.

No doubt, but playing the guitar is cool -- dancing like a fairy, on the other hand, is not.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:12 pm

Dalar wrote:You guys should try DDR. Once you figure out that it's essentially the same game with your legs, it's pretty fun.

Did that already, if you recall ;) You pointed me to Dance With Intensity about.. oh.. four years ago.

DDR set my brain in motion for rhythm games like this.
- Ragorn
bawog
Sojourner

Postby bawog » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 am

OK, so I bought the game and I'm hopelesly addicted, and well I'm just curious to what your FAVORITE song is. I'm loving Pride and Joy. Probally one of my favorite to play and as well as One by metallica both are fun to play to me except in hard/expert cause well its just utter devastation on my part on it :( If you guys have beat it on all difficulties I'd have to say get a life cause I play it probally 2-4 hours a night and I might clear one more song. Anyways just curious to what your fav song to play is.

Nerox
Lonikiple group-says 'i remember this one time at izans, when nerox said tanks west, and kobob ran 2 west, and spanked the group, you guyz remember that?'

Tiamat shouts 'No, it is you who is fucked!'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:53 am

My favorite songs are Cliffs of Dover, Even Flow, and Story of My Life. My favorite bonus songs (so far, haven't played them all) are Avalancha (fucking awesome) and Impulse.
- Ragorn
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:06 am

Xisiqomelir wrote:
Yasden wrote:You're playing it on the 360. There's your problem right there.

Hey slacker, buy Eye of Judgement.

I don't play trading card games, even if you do get to scan/digitize the cards using the camera. I don't have that kind of money to blow on the booster packs.

I did download the software for the eye, however. Whenever they get around to selling just the camera itself it'll be great for making home movies and such.

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:48 pm

What about if you get to print out the cards, because Sony has no idea how to make quality products?

Kotaku did an article on it, you can actually print out scans of the cards and they work just fine. Piracy ahoy!
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:51 pm

bawog wrote:OK, so I bought the game and I'm hopelesly addicted, and well I'm just curious to what your FAVORITE song is. I'm loving Pride and Joy. Probally one of my favorite to play and as well as One by metallica both are fun to play to me except in hard/expert cause well its just utter devastation on my part on it :( If you guys have beat it on all difficulties I'd have to say get a life cause I play it probally 2-4 hours a night and I might clear one more song. Anyways just curious to what your fav song to play is.

Nerox

Lol, it's not that we have no life, it's just that we've been playing since GH1 :P (and playing the real guitar for 13 years kinda helps too). After you play for about two or three weeks, anything besides expert is really, really boring. My favorites are pride and joy, cliffs of dover, and the tenacious D song.

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:22 am

Here's something fresh off the presses for you owners of the PS3 version.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Store#id=30043

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Store#id=30044

That's right, add-ons already! Woo!

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:05 pm

There's a video on Youtube of some guy hitting 95% of the notes on Dragonforce.
- Ragorn
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:20 pm

Beat Raining Blood.
- Ragorn
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:33 am

Kifle wrote:

No doubt, but playing the guitar is cool -- dancing like a fairy, on the other hand, is not.

Agree totally!

... although......

dancing like a faerie might get you layed and talking about pretending to play guitar on your playstation on a forum about mudding probably won't :P

Buy a guitar @once!!!

I remember a Steve Vai quote something along the lines of "Any guy who claims he didn't start playing guitar to pick up is full of it"
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:52 pm

Didn't Corth make a comment here earlier?

Did it get deleted as a flame, even though he was probably just referencing last weeks South Park episode?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:13 pm

Yeah, it got deleted as a flame. I don't keep up on South Park, so I couldn't tell the difference. My apologies if it was just an in-joke that I didn't get...
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:16 pm

Just a south park reference. I guess comedy central is less censored than this bbs. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:26 pm

We don't all watch South Park.
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:15 pm

Sarell wrote:
Kifle wrote:

Agree totally!

... although......

dancing like a faerie might get you layed and talking about pretending to play guitar on your playstation on a forum about mudding probably won't :P

Buy a guitar @once!!!

I remember a Steve Vai quote something along the lines of "Any guy who claims he didn't start playing guitar to pick up is full of it"

Lol, that's the reason I started playing when I was 14... and it worked a few times. :)

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:20 pm

Ragorn wrote:Beat Raining Blood.

I hate you. Eh, if I ever get a chance to play again, I think it is just a matter of time.

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:26 am

This weekend only, Dream On by Aerosmith is available for free download. It's a sample of the upcoming GH: Aerosmith game. Also, if you guys were wanting to see some really crazy videos, here you are:

9 Year old pulling off 95% on DF (Xbox 360)

Same kid doing 100% on Psycobilly Freakout

Guy nailing 100% on Raining Blood. Try to ignore the retard holding the camera blabbing on in the background.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”