Multimedia Entertainment War Over! And the Winner is:

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Yasden
Sojourner

Multimedia Entertainment War Over! And the Winner is:

Postby Yasden » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:41 am

Blu-Ray!

Toshiba announced yesterday that they are ceasing production of all HD DVD equipment. This allows BD (by far the superior technology anyway) to expand out and release movies from other studios into the BD format.

If you caught the writing on the wall recently, Time-Warner abandoned the format. The immediate result was all 5 Harry Potter movies available on BD the following Tuesday. The final nail in the coffin was Wal-Mart discontinuing the sales of the HD DVD equipment, even though players could be found at Target for $169 and up.

Here's the article.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:43 am

Just an addendum...if you were alive for the Betamax/VHS wars, you'd be wise to remember what happened to the losing technology. SELL YOUR HD-DVD EQUIPMENT NOW WHILE YOU CAN.

In 5 years it won't be worth crap except to collectors.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:25 am

Thats pretty funny, I just bought a Toshiba HD DVD player last weekend :P Oh well, at least I have a PS3 !
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:28 am

Yeah, now that this is over I'm actually thinking of getting a blu-ray player. Since the PS3 is the cheapest existing BR player I'm actually considering it...

Then again, I might just wait and see what happens in terms of downloadable media. Can already rent some HD movies through the xbox360, and I think netflix is coming out with something soon.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:07 am

Yasden wrote:Just an addendum...if you were alive for the Betamax/VHS wars, you'd be wise to remember what happened to the losing technology. SELL YOUR HD-DVD EQUIPMENT NOW WHILE YOU CAN.

In 5 years it won't be worth crap except to collectors.
Wait 20 years and it will be worth a fortune to collectors though :-)
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]

Return to “General Discussion Archive”