the mp3 download debate, obsolete?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Latreg
Sojourner

the mp3 download debate, obsolete?

Postby Latreg » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:02 pm

was thinkin......

d/l ing mp3s is easy enough, but consider this.....

Record your favorite videos with your cable box ---> pc ---> dvd; play dvd through car cd player (i'm sure there's a way) you can watch music videos on youtube as well. A dvd holds a hell of a lot more than a cd, so you can burn videos and just listen to them while driving. I'm sure you can see the possibilities and the debates that will ensue.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:31 pm

I disagree since it's a huge pita to find your videos from your cable box. What are you going to do? Run MCE and record days of MTV then surf through it to find your favorite music video? Also, videos take up way more space than an mp3 and the quality isn't always as good on some videos.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:37 pm

Dalar wrote:I disagree since it's a huge pita to find your videos from your cable box. What are you going to do? Run MCE and record days of MTV then surf through it to find your favorite music video? Also, videos take up way more space than an mp3 and the quality isn't always as good on some videos.

Also, think how much space you'd essentially lose on a portable media device like an iPod or Zune downloading videos instead of music. I hook my iPod to my stereo... even if I had a dvd player in my car, there's no way in hell I'd do video over plain mp3's just because of the sheer amount of songs I'd lose doing it. Even with 40+gig storage devices, I'd never sacrifice it. I'll also second the quality point. I'd rather hear every high-hat than be able to see the lead singer caress himself in narcasistic love.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:06 pm

Kifle wrote:I'd rather hear every high-hat than be able to see the lead singer caress himself in narcissistic love.

But I heard imitation is the highest form of flattery.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:33 am

I guess what I was getting at is, there are other ways to get the same music, not just mp3s from "illegal" download sites and still not pay for the music. You don't think the blue ray could be used in this manner? I don't know anything about it really. I don't have an ipod or mp3 player, i just burn diskes and pop them into the car player.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:54 am

Latreg wrote:I guess what I was getting at is, there are other ways to get the same music, not just mp3s from "illegal" download sites and still not pay for the music. You don't think the blue ray could be used in this manner? I don't know anything about it really. I don't have an ipod or mp3 player, i just burn diskes and pop them into the car player.

Honestly, you'd end up wasting a lot of money loading up media with video files as well as audio. A better way to do it would to be just recording the audio from the video on youtube and converting it to mp3 and burning just the audio.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:43 am

Ever heard of radio? There are plenty of ways to record broadcast content. The issue is that you do have to do the recording yourself, and if you distribute, you may be found liable for damages.*

*I'm not a lawyer.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:55 am

there are also plenty of ways to extract the audio from said videos and re-encode it to mp3 using various higher end video editors
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:54 pm

Is this process easier than loading up your favorite P2P client, typing in the name of the song, and clicking download?

Then burning to CD?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:44 pm

Ragorn wrote:Is this process easier than loading up your favorite P2P client, typing in the name of the song, and clicking download?

Then burning to CD?

Depending on the song, it can be. Especially if you want very good quality.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:17 am

Ragorn wrote:Is this process easier than loading up your favorite P2P client, typing in the name of the song, and clicking download?

Then burning to CD?

depending on the devices and software, it is possible to decode the original source material from a D9 dvd (double layer) in an uncompressed form, open it in Vegas or Premiere, and then re-encode the audio track as a VERY high quality mp3

depending on the dvd, you might need to cicumvent copy protection in order to do this. but i've done it several times with great results.

is it easier? in many ways. some p2p clients take forever to download anything, and there's no guarantee you wont get some 8 bit PoS mp3 at the end some kid recorded with his cell phone near his tv tuned to MTV

Return to “General Discussion Archive”