PSP != HP

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
icecillam
Sojourner

PSP != HP

Postby icecillam » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:07 pm

Seriously. 1 psp gained isn't = 1 hp loss. Why the cloak went from 30/10 to 10/30 is really beyond me. With the current state of eq, if I had to trade hp for psp on a one to one ratio, I'd trade 0 hp's.

At 10 hp, that cloak should be at about 70 psp to make it worth taking over another hp only cloak.

Skull still needs serious looking at. Same pilosophy seems to have been applied while designing it.

The psp to hp point ratio should be more along the lines of 3:1.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:48 pm

I agree with your statements Ice, but what items are we talking about here?
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
icecillam
Sojourner

Postby icecillam » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:25 pm

Was talking about the melich cloak. Aparently accoring to sarell ring of raw energy has also had the same 1:1 conversion rate done on it. And like he said, it might be used by a psi doing xp. Skull is the skull i bagged since the intial changes.
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:29 pm

Having never played a squid, I'm not sure exactly how much impact more psp's make.
I'm guessing though that the reason psp's and hps are the same cost is because with more psp's, squids can do more damage for longer amounts of time - keeping the group alive. Bards also use mana for their songs, so it could be used as a way to keep them from continuosly singing without fear of running out of mana.

I suppose its a trade off.. more damage/singing, or better survivability.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:57 pm

I have 667 psp naked at level 47. UB takes roughly 80psp, wormhole is roughly 175psp.

I have 101 hps naked at level 47.

If any of my hp items lose hp and gain psp it better be a huge ammount of psp gained vs hps lost to make me consider wearing said item.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:46 pm

Even as a bards, which get fairly decent hps, you'd have to see a pretty substantial mana increase to consider trading it for a hp item.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:53 pm

8)

Bards really don't need +psp gear. Their songs allow them to regenerate enough psp while the group is memming in zones and even while doing experience. I agree, hps are very valuable but being able to throw an extra ultrablast or two isn't going to be a huge deal, since you'll just have to meditate and or suck out enough brains to regain all that extra psp after the battle is over.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:01 pm

Yayaril wrote:I agree, hps are very valuable but being able to throw an extra ultrablast or two isn't going to be a huge deal, since you'll just have to meditate and or suck out enough brains to regain all that extra psp after the battle is over.

1) With the ammount of +psp on any item you would need roughly 3-4 items with +psp to get that extra ultrablast in. That is probably 100+ hp in gear I've lost. Two extra psp and you're talking a full suit of +psp gear dropping me down to about my natural 101hp, 1 riposte and I'm in need of a rez.

2) You know how often I get to drain a mob in a zone? Never, unless there happens to be a weenie mob in the same room as the group while we med and a rogue hasn't backstabbed it before I can dominate it.

Imms, can you remove +psp equipment and lower the cost of psi skills accordingly? How about a definition of what exactly +max_pow does? It sure as heck doesn't give us more psp. I've heard speculation that it gives our skills a longer duration and our damage blast higher damage.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:07 pm

I don't get you guys sometimes, I really don't.

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12309

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:20 pm

Damned if you don't, damned if you do it poorly?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:40 pm

Who wants to tell us what these last two guys were talking about
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:06 am

mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:How about a definition of what exactly +max_pow does? It sure as heck doesn't give us more psp.

Max_power is far, far more useful than +psp.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:06 am

mynazzaraxxsyn wrote:How about a definition of what exactly +max_pow does? It sure as heck doesn't give us more psp.

Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:09 am

[quote="mynazzaraxxsyn"]How about a definition of what exactly +max_pow does? It sure as heck doesn't give us more psp. I've heard speculation that it gives our skills a longer duration and our damage blast higher damage.[/quote]

Max_power is infinitely more useful than +psp.

(As a pure aside, change the values back on every psp container, because they were done badly)

mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:42 am

Xisiqomelir wrote:

Ok HOW exactly is it better? WHAT does it do? I didn't ask if it was better... I want to know what good it is.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:04 am

Sylvos wrote:I don't get you guys sometimes, I really don't.

http://www.torilmud.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12309

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

There is a difference in wanting +psp and not wanting our +hp equipment hosed at the cost of a couple psp.

Every other class is doing this same thing in the 2nd round thread, but in the form of asking for more hit on a dam item or vice versa. Or add some ac or something else.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:34 am

speaking of outrage.... ring of raw energy changed from 50HP to 50mana is just silly :P specially after it was upgraded to 50hp in the first round. Why make items _completely_ different? Specially the ones with nice ansi! :P
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:34 am

speaking of outrage.... ring of raw energy changed from 50HP to 50mana is just silly :P specially after it was upgraded to 50hp in the first round. Why make items completely different? Specially the ones with nice ansi! :P
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:35 am

speaking of outrage.... ring of raw energy changed from 50HP to 50mana is just silly :P specially after it was upgraded to 50hp in the first round. Why make items completely different? Specially the ones with nice ansi! :P
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:35 am

Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:38 am

not sure why the bbs posted my message so heartily, but i got this message when i tried to edit it... shrug

Error in deleting post

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1016 Can't open file: 'phpbb_search_wordmatch.MYI'. (errno: 145)

DELETE FROM phpbb_search_wordmatch WHERE post_id IN (121658)

Line : 410
File : /var/www/html/phpBB2/includes/functions_search.php
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:27 pm

I bet I can explain it, but Kossuth said not to give specifics for the calculator.
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:58 am

Salen wrote:I bet I can explain it, but Kossuth said not to give specifics for the calculator.

Doesn't matter how the calculator works, no squid in their right mind is going to use this stuff. We'll just stop bidding on mana gear and get more hp stuff.
icecillam
Sojourner

Postby icecillam » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:11 pm

If this is indeed in the calculator, the method that the calculator uses to calculate points for psp eq needs some serious looking at. Ratio needs to be closer to 1:3 to make it even worth it with the general hp decrease trend.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:52 pm

I agree 100% with all statements regarding lack of +hp or ac incentives to even bother with psp gear anymore. I bagged my whole set and am now dressing like my mages. The question of +max power was an interesting one too. I see no advantages in wearing +max power eq. I thought by now the gods might have worked out something advantageos to a notch of this stat, but it does not seem so. These are not terribly pressing issues regarding squids in general, but it would be nice to see all the eq created for thier benifit out there do something to warrant the change from wearing the same old mage eq. The now useless items designed for squid use include anything and everything that is +psp at this time. A shame really imo, but not really a pressing issue like I said before. I could get used to having -20ac and 700hp myself.. even if my psp has dropped about 160. I think originally that is why the items were statted and accepted into the game at near standard mage +hp levels along with the psp bonus. Even then, the lack of ac was a questionable tradeoff. Nobody likes to be crit and one rounded, or two, since you can't flee right away in most cases as a squid. It would be nice if this issue were adressed in the future, but I can already see by playing a squid that the gods will have to re-examine thier stat calculator in the issue of psionisists, or just throw out the idea of +psp and +max pow altogether, kind of like they just did.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”