mud reboot every friday?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Ihazim
Sojourner

mud reboot every friday?

Postby Ihazim » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:49 am

should this be a policy?
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:17 pm

No practice which gives a specific range of players an advantage over the rest of the pbase should intentionally be placed into policy. Admittedly, due to circumstances that can't be helped at times, but scheduling a reboot for a particular time or day gives a definite advantage to those who can clear their schedules for that time. A scheduled reboot would be awfully nice for all those who don't have schedules which keep them from being on at that particular time on that particular day.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:36 pm

It would be nice to have a reboot going into the weekend.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:34 pm

Ashiwi wrote:No practice which gives a specific range of players an advantage over the rest of the pbase should intentionally be placed into policy. Admittedly, due to circumstances that can't be helped at times, but scheduling a reboot for a particular time or day gives a definite advantage to those who can clear their schedules for that time. A scheduled reboot would be awfully nice for all those who don't have schedules which keep them from being on at that particular time on that particular day.

What if the timing was random every week. So maybe 1am friday morning one week. 11pm friday night another week. 3pm friday afternoon another week. Always different time, but always on friday.

Could be as simple as rolling a 1d24 every thuresday night. So the question then becomes, should they announce the time of the reboot or not?
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:23 am

And everybody's supposed to be able to be here on Fridays? There are people who have most of the week off and then spend their entire weekends on their jobs. Admittedly, the game can't cater to any particular group of people, but why encourage the trend toward that kind of structure? A reboot right before the weekends would be great because the majority of players are here on the weekends, but wouldn't random reboots throughout the week and weekend be better?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Bilraex
Sojourner

Postby Bilraex » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:31 am

Should just go back to the 40 hr mercy reboots we used to have, then everyone wins.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:28 am

I'm not sure of the exact stats, but my impression is that less people are online during the weekends ironically. They go away for the weekend, have other stuff to do, spend time with their kids, etc. Weekday nights see more zoning I think.
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:51 am

Then make the boot random over a 100 hour period with a guarentee that it won't reboot for 24 hours after a boot so that it doesn't go too fast.
Mogan: Paladin, Human(Active)

In the immortal words of Tagad, "F**K IT! CHARGE!"
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:10 am

Does anyone remember when miax used to reboot the mud every friday at 9pm? Those left who do remember were there to zone right when he would reboot im sure! What is the potential loss of rebooting randomly, and sometimes not so randomly as the current system is, to rebooting on a fixed interval? In exploring the downsides, those who might benefit from a weekday reboot are those who work, or those who play on the weekdays. The potential for these two groups of people is much less than those who *could* play on the weekends. (it is my assumption that itit would be less than those who already DO play on the weekends!) Then we must ask, is being unfair okay? I think the majority of the muds older players can sum up that the mud is unfair. (some players cant even play on the weekdays, and those who play on the weekends are oft dissapointed) Blatently, this policy is unfair to those who play at work and those who play on the weekdays but it -has- great potential to be something that creates more equality for those who want to play on the weekends or those who can play on the weekends. It also has great potential for those who already play on those days. But in this plan, there is room for one weekday/weeknight which is friday.

This is something the player's can count on when there are many things they cant. This is something that can be built on.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:57 am

Ashiwi wrote:And everybody's supposed to be able to be here on Fridays? There are people who have most of the week off and then spend their entire weekends on their jobs. Admittedly, the game can't cater to any particular group of people, but why encourage the trend toward that kind of structure? A reboot right before the weekends would be great because the majority of players are here on the weekends, but wouldn't random reboots throughout the week and weekend be better?

They used to run regular events on fridays before. *shrug* I normally don't even mud friday at all, but I have noticed over the course of the past few years that normally the mud is beaten and dead when the weekend comes with nothing to do but experience, on goodie or evil side - on the average.

I was just hoping for something to do the rest of the weekend besides experience, even if I do miss the great race to do invasion(s) or whatever everyone is so worried about doing right after a boot on friday or whenever. *shrug*

Random boots or even after a certain duration would be nice I guess, and maybe we'll get lucky enough to have one of those boots fall on a weekend day. Who knows? Worth a shot I guess.

Similar to what Ihazim was saying tho, is because the mud has been typically beaten when the weekend comes, the number of players logging in is lower. I just saw this as bumping up the possible numbers for the weekend to be closer to the weekdays. Cuz right now, a weekday player has an advantage over a weekend only player. Why not balance it out a little?
Ihazim
Sojourner

Postby Ihazim » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:10 am

Also if anyone ever noticed it takes 2 zone groups to break 100 players at a time. (atleast). Things like zone difficulty need to be upgraded, but i guess that's for another thread.

If you want to try and string it together, one could argue the same group of people do all the zones during the week. and there's only one zoning group at a time. (this creating a bias)

In order to sustain a high pbase there needs to be a good mix of things to do i guess. This might point the mud in that direction.

(i hope that the forgers have sat around and discussed the micro aspects of the mud like sustaining zoning groups, worthwhile exp, skills practice, trade skills and such in an overall manner and not just balance melee or bring in tia. But rather an overall experience)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:17 am

its silly that there is so much activity right after reboot.

its silly that there are bunches of quests you cant do shit on unless it reboots and then someone beats you there anyways.

its super silly that were trying to figure out some sort of rule for reboots and whats fair pst est, japan time wtf, fuk, we got an administration sphere that rocks, im sure they can use their judgment in timing reboots and not being too onesided. It just seems that the administration thinks that 40 hours is the minimum length that they start thinking maybe they might reboot it.

We do not enjoy 40 hour boots and we really dont enjoy having old boots on the weekends when a lot of us have days off to mud.

also, i wonder what boot length areas uses in determing point value for rareloads and shit. i mean 10% rare load on 100 hour boots is a lot different than 10% rare on 20 houre reboots.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Ashod
Sojourner

Postby Ashod » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:45 am

One thing i have noticed is that when it is a dead pbase online on the weekends and the mud is booted... a miracle happens and people log on and there are plenty to go round on friday and saturday nights.

as far as not having a boot because it is unfair to a specific group of people that kinda defeats the purpose if the idea behind having a sceduled boot..

If people know there will be a boot mid week on say wends and one for the weekend on sat. This give them a suitable day that they can plan to be on and accomplish things. With no sceduled boot.. it is really hit and miss for those who have a hard time catching a boot... I think the reason behind having a sceduled boot is so that those who don't mud all the time *whistle* have the oppritunity to scedule it so they can go to things like muspel invasion and do rares that the power mudders rape all the time.

Saying that it is catering to a specific group by making a specific boot time
kinda like someone saying that they can't do something because they never can make a scedule based around something that has no scedule and when given a scedule to build around they turn around and say the exactly reverse.

I personally thing that a sceduled boot would give the mud a face lift by allowing people to scedule the boot time into there lives.

Reguardless of what i think.. I think people need to read help reboot .

The gods do have a good reason behind not having sceduled boots other than to torment the mortals for 70 hours.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:43 pm

Ashod wrote:One thing i have noticed is that when it is a dead pbase online on the weekends and the mud is booted... a miracle happens and people log on and there are plenty to go round on friday and saturday nights.

as far as not having a boot because it is unfair to a specific group of people that kinda defeats the purpose if the idea behind having a sceduled boot..

If people know there will be a boot mid week on say wends and one for the weekend on sat. This give them a suitable day that they can plan to be on and accomplish things. With no sceduled boot.. it is really hit and miss for those who have a hard time catching a boot... I think the reason behind having a sceduled boot is so that those who don't mud all the time *whistle* have the oppritunity to scedule it so they can go to things like muspel invasion and do rares that the power mudders rape all the time.

Saying that it is catering to a specific group by making a specific boot time
kinda like someone saying that they can't do something because they never can make a scedule based around something that has no scedule and when given a scedule to build around they turn around and say the exactly reverse.

I personally thing that a sceduled boot would give the mud a face lift by allowing people to scedule the boot time into there lives.

Concur 100% :D
I barely see a lot of folks on the weekends, cuz we know there is nothing to do on the mud. Log in for 15 secs to type 'time' and see 50+ hours or so, yeah noones sticking around. Can you blame them?

Let's give folks a reason to be online on the weekends, regular friday reboots.

kthnxbye
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:29 am

Is it possible (codewise) to make zones randomly reboot if they are empty of people for a certain amount of time? Jot has been done 2 hours after the boot, the zone is empty of people for about 5 hours and then suddenly it is repopulated and ready for another raid. The next time is takes 14 hours before it reboots or 2 hours.
Mogan: Paladin, Human(Active)

In the immortal words of Tagad, "F**K IT! CHARGE!"
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:29 am

I know when the mud boots my icq is ablaze with messages

coincidence? i think not :)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:11 pm

Grizz wrote:Is it possible (codewise) to make zones randomly reboot if they are empty of people for a certain amount of time? Jot has been done 2 hours after the boot, the zone is empty of people for about 5 hours and then suddenly it is repopulated and ready for another raid. The next time is takes 14 hours before it reboots or 2 hours.

Not only is it possible, it's been done.

However, I would caution people against adopting this as the new strategy for the MUD. Reboots give people a very specific and clear time to be on to get eq. It's safe to say that an item is there if there was just a reboot. It is NOT safe to say, "gee, this item has a 5% or so chance of loading per zone reboot, so, has it loaded yet? I think it has." At any given point, the item may or may not have loaded, which is less incentive for people to get on to do it than recieving an IM or ICQ saying 'Toril booted, let's get on and get you your quest item now.'

Just something I've noticed in dealing with others.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”