Changing alts mid zone.

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Crumar
Sojourner

Changing alts mid zone.

Postby Crumar » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:48 pm

Can we have a disussion on why we cannot change alts mid zone now that the player base has been reduced drastically. I would not like to ask my entire group to leave mid zone in TTF for instance if two of our core class players end up having to leave due to rl issues, and the only way to replace them would be having to change out current players in group who have these alts.

It only seems logical that the policy be changed to reflect the current times, till we can get 100+ players loggin in again. Let me know what you guys think, and specially after reading thoughts I would appreciate a forger letting us know if this is a good idea. If not can you post why this is the case. Thanks for your time.

Crumar.
digov
Sojourner

Postby digov » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:01 pm

Well, the problem I have with this is that I think too many folks would abuse it.

For example, lets say I'm doing a zone where an illusionist is needed for one fight, but throughout the rest of the zone, an extra invoker is needed.

Lets say I have both a high level invoker and a high level illusionist. What would stop me from bringing the invoker in until the fight that requires the illusionist, then leaving the zone, running back to wd, renting, grabbing my illusionist, going back to the group, helping with the fight and then switching again.

It may seem like 'alot' of work but people would do it...

I think this would lead to group leaders favoring people with multiple high level alts so that they can 'switch' as needed and some of the folks who play one or two classes (and in some cases play those classes very well) would get left out.

Just my .02
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:39 pm

What if we petitioned and asked for the group members change, considering immortals can see the IP of players and know that they wouldnt be switching non stop to do that. If lets say player X has 5 level 50 alts he could be allowed to only swap one alt once in mid zone and thats only if they can prove that another player with same class left the mud who was already in group. Dunno just a thought to keep things going quicker in zones instead of having to wait one hour for someone like a chanter to log on.
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:48 pm

Now that I'd buy...
That, or something semi-automated, eg. mmail admin (or some new functinality) w/ intentions so at least theres a record in the event peti gets spammed w/ requested changouts.

Before you added that, I was going to 'vote against' the idea due to small group cheesability.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:54 pm

Crumar wrote:What if we petitioned and asked for the group members change, considering immortals can see the IP of players and know that they wouldnt be switching non stop to do that. If lets say player X has 5 level 50 alts he could be allowed to only swap one alt once in mid zone and thats only if they can prove that another player with same class left the mud who was already in group. Dunno just a thought to keep things going quicker in zones instead of having to wait one hour for someone like a chanter to log on.

All dial-up internet connections have dynamic IPs, disconnect, reconnect, relogin and your IP is changed, hence that wouldn't work.

I HAVE been seeing over 104 players etc on at peak times, I think the whole idea wouldn't really work.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:47 pm

I HAVE been seeing over 104 players etc on at peak times, I think the whole idea wouldn't really work.

Since I am in the same timeslot with Crumar, I tend to agree. When there is 15-20 people on TOTALLY, there is not much choice, especially when your group is losing a key person like an ench/cleric/whatever. So Im supporting that idea. Yes, switching must be regulated in some way, like petition/mmail/etc, to prevent abusing by people in the peak hours. Anyway, the mud is pretty much all about BRUTE FORCE now, leaving next to nothing to skills/knowledge/small groups... so I wont be really sad if the people will even abuse this, twinking stuff.
Va'esse deireadh aep eigean... Something is ending...
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:05 pm

I think the issue is, this would most likely require some sort of god monitoring to ensure it didn't get abused... and I think the gods are trying to minimize their involvement in having to monitor player activities.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:25 am

I have to agree with Rylan. As long as it involves a god having to monitor and make judgements, it's not going to be something really good. It seems to inevitably lead to perceptions of favoritism. That leads to anger, anger leads to hate, ha . . . well, you get the picture.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:43 pm

This thread is utterly depressing. :(

I'd much rather read a thread about ptesting reports of the two new newbie zones from people trying it out with new chars that haven't been decked out with eq. Ya know, legitimate problems with these zones? (Did you know darkies can't see in the evilrace newbie town? I found that out. Did you find anything out about it? Have you gave it a go?)

I'd much rather hear legitimate problems with the game that new players experience, possibly causing them to stop playing, and suggestions for how to go about correcting them, and thereby increasing pbase.

I'd much rather hear about people saying how they talked a friend into trying out the mud. If they stuck with it, why? And if they gave up, what were their reasons?

Sigh. :( I mean seriously, why don't you just suggest allowing multiplaying while you're at it?
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:40 am

I'd much rather you didn't hijack the thread.
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:01 am

With the exception of one, maybe two posts this year, I have utterly ignored any post you made Sesexe and do you want to know why? Well even if you don't I will tell you. Its because more then 80% of the stuff you post on the BBS is not even worth talking about but that’s just MY opinion. Do you see me posting on your worthless posts? No you don't because I, like most others like to ignore it. If you don't like something you see then don't post. Posting in every topic and making your views felt is your prerogative, but just because you post on every thread does not make you a expert as to what is wrong with this mud. Yeah you might read every thread; but you know what so do most of us. But that does not make us all experts.

You asked for opinions on another thread about warriors, and since I played a warrior for so long I felt I could perhaps give you a valid pointer on that particular subject. Hence I posted. Otherwise if I am not an expert on a certain field I wont post. You on the other hand have to make sure you write your views in almost every post. My advice although at this point you probably don’t care, is to stop hijacking threads and start making your own threads on something more productive. I asked for every person’s opinion, good or bad on why this idea should or should not be implemented. I didn't ask for you or anyone else to post about how other problems can be discussed while saying this idea was a waste to even discuss.

Lack of players is a problem. Its no fun waiting around for 2 hours for a core class member to log on after another person had to go. Otherwise do you think we would have started the zone without said class/classes? Maybe your not a expert in this because you hardly zone, I have no clue because this IS a problem. There have already been posts on what is needed to fix the player-base and get rolling again so why should I continue to make posts on that topic? I felt that this topic needed to be discussed until such time as the player base corrected itself once more. When and only when we get double the current player base will this no longer be a problem.

Until then all I wanted to do was talk about how we can help fix the immediate problem with the constant time sink of waiting around. That’s is all I wanted to say on this matter. Please feel free to continue the discussion all. There is some good feedback on the pros and con's of why this idea is both good and bad.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”