Overriding buffs

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Dalar
Sojourner

Overriding buffs

Postby Dalar » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:01 am

Can we please have the option to cast any buff and have its time duration refreshed? As in, vit is about to fade, cast it on the target again, it's duration is set back to max.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:53 am

So, tanks can be never endingly spelled up? Yes, let's make the mud even easier.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:48 am

displace would be ridiculously good

blur and scales would almost be that good aswell.....

I think it would make caster classes even more flat and lifeless, further blending the mesh of paying attention and not paying attention. I love seeing a good chanter / illusionist that nails the spellups as it happens. Not someone who just bots in and out casting. Would ruin any skill side of chanting....boring...
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:13 pm

This was mentioned a while back, and I think most people agreed that certain spells like armor/vit/bless/bark/realms and things like that would be extremely nice if refreshable and not make anything easier in terms of zoning. Stuff like stone/scales/displace no... that would be too powerful.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:29 pm

realms / globe would be great, is horribly annoying sitting around waiting for them to drop....
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Sesexe
Sojourner

Re: Overriding buffs

Postby Sesexe » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:09 pm

Dalar wrote:Can we please have the option to cast any buff and have its time duration refreshed? As in, vit is about to fade, cast it on the target again, it's duration is set back to max.

As Hyldryn mentioned very overpowering. Exceedingly so.

I think what you want is a way to end an individual spell you are currently affected by while not affecting your OTHER spells. Like how we can 'land' now to dispel fly or levitate.

The problem most folks have is waiting for the spell to drop as compared to casting dispel magic on them and loosing everything.

In essence, allow players to immediately end the effects of any beneficial spell they are currently under the effects of.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:40 pm

just make spells overwrite if the new duration exceeds the current duration or level > level.

put certain spells on an exclude list if it would be too powerful, but personally i think being able to refresh dscales or stones would be cool and add some opportunity for some enchanters to shine.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Sservis
Sojourner

Postby Sservis » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:00 am

rylan wrote:This was mentioned a while back, and I think most people agreed that certain spells like armor/vit/bless/bark/realms and things like that would be extremely nice if refreshable and not make anything easier in terms of zoning. Stuff like stone/scales/displace no... that would be too powerful.

Why not,

Any spell that you can cast while in combat can't be refreshed. Any spell that you can't, can.

What spells are broken either way? [you'd like to refresh but you can cast while engaged or can't cast while engaged but shouldn't be refreshed?]
Gura ASSOC:: 'man im such a prick'
Gura ASSOC:: 'but im so good at it'
Gura ASSOC:: 'especially when im right'

Shar responds to your petition with 'do what we do. just stop listning to gura :P'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:48 pm

Bah, just "downgrade" dispel magic so that it only dispels a particular spell that you target on a PC/NPC. ie. c 'dispel magic' Dalar stoneskin

That way it's a hassle at times and a boon at other times. If we're gonna get something we want, we should have some sort of inconvenience added, too.

OR

We can leave it the way it is.
Diel
Sojourner

Postby Diel » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:09 pm

Birile wrote:OR

We can leave it the way it is.

best idea evar
Hoppel ASSOC:: 'ROFL ON THE BEST FLOOR EVAR!!!1!1!oneone'

Klandan group-says 'No, I just won't group with him. Just making that clear up front.

Hibbidy tells you 'kill giant'

Twyl tells you 'I hate my life'

Don't blame me because you aren't an interesting person and have a problem finding anything to talk about.
chandigar
Sojourner

Postby chandigar » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:12 pm

I'm totally against allowing someone to individually dispel displace at will, since the only real drawback involves the way the spell fades over time. It would make it way overpowered.

Other spells like Stone or Dscales I could see being dispelled since its basically a binary effect anyway.

Regular non damage reducing buffs... why not?
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:13 pm

I don't really think that this is necessary, the way to fix it would be to make spells last a fixed amount of time so things can be timed. the fact that spells based on specialized skills can last an extra minute or two makes things difficult and spells to fall at different times. Can we make specialized spells always last exactly the same duration longer everytime based on skill instead of random? I use zmud's timer feature and syncronize off spells like vit falling to know when other spells are likely to fall like globe. So as a group leader i could have an idea when globes will be needed to be refreshed etc.
Lil
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:29 pm

I kinda like how specialized spells last longer and somewhat randomized, since it makes it easier to roll spells during a zone with them falling at differant points.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:54 am

How about a group dispel magic for short duration spells like vit, dscale, etc.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:07 am

You people making these suggestions should apply to become a coder here. Probably best to keep it simple.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:14 am

One of the more addicting features of most MMORPG's.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Lirela
Sojourner

Postby Lirela » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:26 pm

I'd have to agree with Rylan.. keeping spells up is much easier when they drop at different times. I like things the way they are.

As for the comment about letting enchanters shine more by implementing this, I think it would be easier for enchanters to set up a timer and go afk.. no shining there. Just less paying attention.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:20 pm

Enchanters already do shine under the current system. The few who are already on the last star of blur right when it drops on the MT.

Then there are those who suck.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”