New High AC Gear

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Sarell
Sojourner

New High AC Gear

Postby Sarell » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:18 am

(another sarell omg new zones VS old zones thread)

What is the deal with the abundance of stupidly high AC gear? Isn't AC worth very many points? It certainly should be. The velvet mage items in spob that are AC20 were ridiculous to begin with. They are velvet, they are for mages, most steel armor in the game isn't this high AC. Now we are seeing ac 15 wrist and arm wear, 20AC hats, mages even can get -100 no worries. If the idea to reduce HP was to stop mages from being all powerful tanks and soloists then the influx of high AC gear that came with it is having the opposite effect.

Lots of love, Patrick, Touch.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:33 pm

Sarell hit the nail right on the head.

Mage eq is FAR superior to melee-type eq. I mean, has anyone else noticed most warriors now dress like mages anyways?

Mages just had to give up 50hps for 50AC. A fair trade I'd say since they still can solo...
Meatshield
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:43 pm

Melee balancing is proceeding as planned! Just like the EQ balancing was supposed to help melee's out by buffing them up.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:12 am

Just to clarify I don't think it is just mage gear. Akin to the new roller, it puts everyone on the same level, you don't need to be thoughtful in what you wear, it is too easy to attain the top levels of AC and stats. You should be able to make a decision whether you want your character to have high HP or high AC or high hitdam, not just snag one of the new items that come stock as 20AC cloaks and the like. AC doesn't seem to be getting taken into account on new items, they are the best HP/stat items, then they have the best ever AC in the history of the game aswell.
Shadow Scream
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:37 am

AC should cost a lot more on mage and thief gear than on cleric and warrior gear. The ease with which mages can hit max ac now is ridiculous.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:44 am

Noticed a few more new AC 15 wrist items in the game, everyone has -100 boring...
Shadow Scream
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:50 am

just noticed something else straight retarded.

shield ac (in game) maxes out around 18 (most around 15).

most eq slots have 15 ac gear including 3 sets of wristguards that have 15 ac (although i heard at least 1 was dgraded), and an ac 10 eyepatch, a 17 ac helm.

How is it that wristguards, helms, and things like boots have very similar ac to shields if not equivalent.

Shield AC should start out at a minimum of around 15 for a small shield that a mage might use (not sure why mages would carry a shield but we have plenty of mageable shields) and go up to at least 40 for a big shield.

<b>The current distribution of AC in the game and in the eq calcr needs some serious attention. </b>

dont forget to nerf mage ac.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:53 am

think what Sarell mentioned could take some serious looking into it, if it is not being done so allready.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:56 am

The answer to your second question (Sarell) is no, which probably answers your first question. Although I think I disagree that there is an abundance of it. I've been working on my mages' equipment for a couple years now and both are on or near an ac rating of 0, which seems about right. I am aware of a mage that recently got to -100 ac, and would agree that this is a problem if dozens of mages also achieved this. I think to get there he's wearing three spob "large" category items though, which is very hard to get. What is your proposal?

- Mike
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:57 am

Something like, put caps on each slot, guidlines for mage gear, so that the max they can get is around -20. Probably increase the value of AC on eq calculator across hte board aswell, it just looks to the players atm like it was missed and area creators are abusing this know 'bug'.

Don't get me wrong, I love having the option of building a mage with good AC, I just don't think ridiculously good AC should be added to items that also have the best of every other stat. And no mage robe should have more AC than the best warrior cloak unless it is super magic and that is all it has imho.

Warriors also often get perfect AC incidentally rather than having to think about they're set.

Down the track it would have to be combined with changing tanking skills so that having parry/block on a warrior (likely to have high AC) is more powerful than having blur/scales on a mage.

I wouldn't suggest putting AC into the skill check equation however or it would mess around with the different races of warriors too much.
Shadow Scream
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:12 am

I think that all items should have their ac cut in half across the board.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:33 pm

Sure I'm taking the easy way out by stealing Diablo II's use of how things spawn but how bout making items that pop in game have somewhat random stats? Maybe that would help cure this?
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:31 am

I have a hard time trying to get my ac to -100 because I try to wear warrior eq and rarely wear mage intended eq like some warriors are now *whistle*
Click on the links below and vote for this mud!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev
The Mud Connector: http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vote_ ... ner's+Home
MudMagic (aka Kyndig): http://www.mudmagic.com/listings/game/609
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:00 pm

1) If -100 ac for spellcasters is so easy to get then I really must have crappy gear :roll: Ok, I don't have the best of eq out there, but if my eq is considered bad I have yet another confirmation I'm a crappy player since I'm not able to get good ac, not good hp, and not good saves. :cry: Unless you count in (druid) barkskin and armor, after which I have -100 ac on all my characters. So, if the ac on high-end gear are nerfed, I wonder where that is going to leave us other players...

2) The random stats on the same eq thingy has been discussed before in some old threads I'm too lazy to search out...

EDIT: All my chars except two are grey or drow elves. My nekkid ac is around 55-65. I can get my ac down to -40 or -50 range with eq that gives me decent hp and average saves *shock* *horror* :P
Last edited by Lenefir on Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:47 pm

Mages shouldn't even have much ac gear to begin with...if your stuff gets downgraded in the AC department, len, that is how it should have been in the first place...if even that much.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Sonon
Sojourner

Postby Sonon » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:58 pm

i got crappy ac who says it is easy for mages to get -100 ac? i am not even in the negatives
-------------------------------------------------------
Alysia group-says 'Lilen immolates a terrified squirrel to a charred crisp with his devastating inferno!'
-------------------------------------------------------
Lilen group-says 'where are all da trolls i was promised'
Lilen has left the group.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:02 am

Vokers die anyway. Just ask Maxler *nod me*
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:10 am

Thilindel wrote:Vokers die anyway. Just ask Maxler *nod me*

That's cuz Maxler was born to be a cleric, at which he totally rox!
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:19 am

I kept my ac pretty low on my elementalist for most of his life. With embody/armor I was well past -100 for solo'in. Grouping I tried to stay barked/armored and was prob -80 or better. Mage gear has always been a bit funny statwise. When you can go from 200 nat hps to like 800+ with vit as a mage and still have decent ac, well you might just have an overpowered class. :p
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”