Needle swarm

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Tasan
Sojourner

Needle swarm

Postby Tasan » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:46 pm

Why 6th? We've already got cone which doesn't go through globe and pretty much isn't worth memming, why not put this in 7th?

If it's strictly for xp, then I guess I understand... sorta...

!!x
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:11 am

Its not intended to give you significantlymore damage, its mainly just intended for some variety. Same goes with most of the other new damage spells.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:30 am

Shevarash wrote:Its not intended to give you significantlymore damage, its mainly just intended for some variety. Same goes with most of the other new damage spells.

I suspected as much. Thanks for clearing that up, Shev.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
daggaz
Sojourner

spell class summon??

Postby daggaz » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:18 pm

I know almost nothing about any of the DnD books except monster manuals, so I gotta ask, is this spell outta the books? Seems wierd to me, shooting needles (which you summon) just dont seem to fit the enchanter class. I kinda like the fact that we enchanters have almost no offensive damage spells, except a mild dabbling in the basic elements, and of course the old stand-bye, constriction (great spell, makes sense to me too considering i spend a lot of time shrinking and enlarging people anyhow). Personally I'd rather see more affection spells, both helpful and harmful. Chromatic orb, btw, was such a great idea! Wouldnt mind to see an improved charm. Or an enchant weapon spell that was actually useful (like adding 2 2 to an already bonused sword, albeit temporarily).
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:14 pm

This sort of already exists in the form of the paladin spell 'Holy Wrath' in that it gives temporary +1/+2 or so. Is this spell even worth it for them to cast, and do we need to burden enchanters with another spell that does the same small bit of melee improvement?

I think a warrior skill like 'rage' that might give a temporary melee bonus would be better for the game.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:23 pm

There are DnD spells that attack by summoning needles. However, they're not core DnD spells AFAIK. All the ones I know of are for Wu Jen, the wizard class in Oriental Adventures. Few of the spells on the MUD really match their DnD counterparts well though, so it's not really an issue.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:37 pm

omg so many new spells.

i'm up to 5 spellbooks now heh
daggaz
Sojourner

burden me??

Postby daggaz » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:33 am

No offense, but Im pro choice. My books, MY choice. Sure, I doubt an elite squad of fifteen is gonna bother with such a spellup, especially considering the voker vs hitter dispute, but thats besides the point. Should we remove haste just because half the time enchanters wont cast it except on the very best rogues? Nope.

Personally, anything that improves the roll-playablility of any class is welcome to me. And besides, I like helping newbies. This would help newbies. And I would get to be a real sought-after enchanter, too.So please gods, burden me with all the enchanteresque spells you can muster! I'll cast em!
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:22 am

Needle swarm is good for enchanters doing neutral alignment maintenance.
belleshel..
Sojourner

Postby belleshel.. » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:46 am

My great hope is that these new spells will lead to spell intelligence. Rather than always casting the same spells in the same circle, you make choices on spells that are more effective against different types of mobs. An extention to cold vs. fire mobs combat logic!
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:08 pm

Hyldryn wrote:Needle swarm is good for enchanters doing neutral alignment maintenance.

That's what I thought when I first saw it appear. And then i went and cast it...and realised that it's a targetted spell, like force missiles or minute meteor.

Wouldn't it be so much more useful if this "swarm" of needles was actually an area effect spell (like the "swarm" of meteors in meteor swarm, for instance)?

-shalath
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:14 am

shalath wrote:Wouldn't it be so much more useful if this "swarm" of needles was actually an area effect spell (like the "swarm" of meteors in meteor swarm, for instance)?

I'd like to bring up the idea for giving people a choice on this. Just as bards can target a single mob or the whole room, I was thinking spells like magic missile/minute meteors could be given an option of target or room. If used on room, the first missile would hit the first mob, second missile second mob, etc... Visualizing it, the caster would wave his hands in an arc, spraying an area, or holding still and focusing on one target.

- Mike
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:24 pm

Yarash wrote:
shalath wrote:Wouldn't it be so much more useful if this "swarm" of needles was actually an area effect spell (like the "swarm" of meteors in meteor swarm, for instance)?

I'd like to bring up the idea for giving people a choice on this. Just as bards can target a single mob or the whole room, I was thinking spells like magic missile/minute meteors could be given an option of target or room. If used on room, the first missile would hit the first mob, second missile second mob, etc... Visualizing it, the caster would wave his hands in an arc, spraying an area, or holding still and focusing on one target.

- Mike

I don't see your idea as threatening to any other classes, and really not all that much to gain other then a slight additional feature to some spells. Be a nice side feature that wouldn't be used that much realistically, but wutever. I got nothing against it.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:38 am

Yeah I think that would be a cool idea - magic missiles are supposed to be individually aimable, and making them an optional area effect would be a simple interpretation of that. However, being as there are no other offensive spells in the game that have both a single target or area mode option, I don't think it can be easily implemented as there's no model to follow. Plus, it'd have to be changed for all the clones of magic missile too (shadow bolt, totem darts, earth darts etc) :(
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:43 am

fotex wrote:... magic missiles are supposed to be individually aimable, and making them an optional area effect would be a simple interpretation of that. However, being as there are no other offensive spells in the game that have both a single target or area mode option, I don't think it can be easily implemented as there's no model to follow. ...

While not offensive spells, both fire fog and earth fog (and perhaps others) have multiple targetting aspects.

Eilorn.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:55 pm

belleshel.. wrote:My great hope is that these new spells will lead to spell intelligence. Rather than always casting the same spells in the same circle, you make choices on spells that are more effective against different types of mobs. An extention to cold vs. fire mobs combat logic!

Amen.

Yarash wrote:I'd like to bring up the idea for giving people a choice on this. Just as bards can target a single mob or the whole room, I was thinking spells like magic missile/minute meteors could be given an option of target or room. If used on room, the first missile would hit the first mob, second missile second mob, etc... Visualizing it, the caster would wave his hands in an arc, spraying an area, or holding still and focusing on one target.

As Yarash stated, there are some bard songs that can be targeted or given an area effect depending on what command is given (as well as a choice given for the earth/fire fogs). This doesn't seem too overpowering, but as someone mentioned, it's probably more a matter of whether it can be coded. :)

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”