Yaba Daba Doo!

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
bimble
Sojourner

Yaba Daba Doo!

Postby bimble » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:54 am

Not too long ago I came back to the mud and found it radically changed from whenI left. Some of the old names I knew are still around, the playerbase has changed insize, and some of the motivation for playing has changed among its members. It be forgetful not to mention some the great code changes. I'm so impressed withthe RP/Quest sphere.

Still our mud seems to be in a decline. I guess it could be the new shiny glitteringcommercial online games. Maybe its just that people grew old and jaded. I dontknow.

What I do know, is that this mud has always been the most special place onlinefor me. Not because of its mechanics - but because of the people.

Since that first day I logged on and Cyntro asked me to group with him.. just toshow off his newly acquired Buddha Palm, I've been hooked. I have always lovedto read. Toril was like one never ending, always changing story to me. One I could take part in. The room descriptions, the races, classes were all just things that stimulated my imagination - here I was a silly person, a careless person that
was part hero and part fumbling idiot. As Bimble and later Bimble Bumbleroot I was part of the most fabulous novel that starred you all - gods and players alike.

Its still like that for me, however some of the characters have just changed. Its great to see all the old famous players of the past still here. Some of the old gods are gone. I've noticed that now the Mud is full of old heroes, and has fewer truly new players. I still remember how hard it was to be new here. The XP grind, the awe of seeing the gods and how strange and inspiring it is to see players that have spent hours and hours to beat the game. People that are the real heroes in the game set such a high standard it almost seems unattainable to truly new players. Its become a XP till you can zone mud - new players are driven to catch up. Over the last year I've tried most the classes to a mid-level, explored the politics of being new here as a unknown. The kindness is still here, the help is still here - but the age of things is showing in the fact that lots of players have beat the game and reached dizzying heights.

I dont think I will ever play Bimble again. Even when I did. There were not too many zone offers for me. No big EQ quests to chase. I was never a hero of the game, just the sidekick for those that were. It was the experience that counted not what I attained.

There can be no heroes, without sidekicks you know.

This Mud has a great lineage of players that are true helpers and motivators. Lots of you do this daily, I know. I hope to join the ranks of those you that have been Betandors, Lilithelles, Cyntros, Ambars and yes Gormal's.

So if you are a new player *call me* for help. If you want to explore a mid-level zone just to explore and learn - send me a tell. Want to learn how to lead, lets learn together, cause I dont know! There is more to this game than the just beating it. I want to find that again, so Noobs there is a newly whacked out bumbling sidekick elf in town to spur on some new adventures.

Someone to help you be the heroe!

I'm looking for new players of low/mid-levels for RP adventures, to help with MUD wide activities! I want to learn to lead zones, I need you to follow. In return you will walk the path of all the great heroes of Sojourn and Toril. Listen for my call, cause its open to those you that want to look in that suspicious closet, or find out whats over the next hill.

And Old Heroes of Sojourn, if you need a fine sidekick and story writer that is not afraid to die with honor - call me once again.

Bimble is retired, his spirit and fumbling bumbling ways are alive now in Etharo.

I've chosen to play a Druid, for the reasons mentioned above it was the best all-purpose choice in my opinion. Still a few loose ends and spellquests to finish but...

Old friends and new, find me online as Etharo!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:46 am

Please say it's a human druid..
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:44 am

Sesexe wrote:Please say it's a human druid..

Silly evils, wells are for goodies!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:25 am

I've also had trouble finding new players recently (last few weeks). About half a year ago I found several new players. I think when we had our initial push by the staff to vote on that topmuds site, it really helped a lot.

- Mike
Vorkul Tigerclaw
Sojourner

Postby Vorkul Tigerclaw » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:41 pm

Yarash wrote:I've also had trouble finding new players recently (last few weeks). About half a year ago I found several new players. I think when we had our initial push by the staff to vote on that topmuds site, it really helped a lot.

- Mike

It sure did.
Nuada GCC: 'what the heck is a khanjari'
Dudle GCC: 'it's a new player class'
Azerost GCC: 'Imagine for a second that they jammed Drizzt into a dagger'
bimble
Sojourner

Postby bimble » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:21 pm

Sorry Sesexe I rolled Grey Elf. Did it because I wanted to level pretty fast and the additional AGI sure helps. If I would have been using my head I would have rolled human - sigh.

There are new players on occasionally. Even with Scardale and the myriad of changes to the way levels 1-20 work its kind of everwhelming for some. As soon as you can tog on all the channels you find out that its a big world with big people in it and you are just a little fish. I met 3 new players while I was in Scardale. Although its easier than ever to level in Scardale (think I hit 20th and left Leuth and Scardale in 8-10 hours) its slow for those that dont know the ropes or have a good strategy. They can do the math, if it takes them 3days ptime to leave and they have 30 levels left and its getting progressively harder as it goes - well its going to be about 20pdays before they get to join the fun they hear on all the channels.

I dont think this is all bad, but there is a alternative. Dont try and beat the game, dont start by getting caught up in a race to join the others. I for one will start making trips to Scardale to help ppl get a good start. Show them around, give them a working strategy. Show them the benefits of AC over hit/dam at low levels - and just show up to talk, gab and tell whacked out stories about the ppl they hear on OOC and the ACH channels. Take them on adventures they can succeed at. Tell me that your first zone experience at level 20 is not as exciting as your 1st trip to Tiamat. The reason Tia is so choice is its rare - like that first trip, and it gets that fire back in your heart.

Topmudsites does work tho... so go Vote!

How can we et more ppl to vote - eh?
Vorkul Tigerclaw
Sojourner

Postby Vorkul Tigerclaw » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:27 pm

bimble wrote:How can we et more ppl to vote - eh?

How about once we reach a certain voting tier, and have a certain amount of newbies online, the Gods turn on double exp for the whole mud.

Yea.

auslyx
Sojourner

Postby auslyx » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:58 pm

I drool at that idea!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:07 pm

Vorkul Tigerclaw wrote:
bimble wrote:How can we et more ppl to vote - eh?

How about once we reach a certain voting tier, and have a certain amount of newbies online, the Gods turn on double exp for the whole mud.

Yea.

How about have a personal vote counter and once you get so many you get a restring?!?!?!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
auslyx
Sojourner

Postby auslyx » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:09 pm

I have been voting since I started. Maybe they could give you 1 point in a particular stat -drool-
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:15 pm

Unfortunately, TopMudSites prohibits us from giving rewards or any compensation for voting. The best we can do is promise to not spam more globals about going to vote for a little while, or in the rare case Shevy'll offer to sac Larim.
Vorkul Tigerclaw
Sojourner

Postby Vorkul Tigerclaw » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:17 am

Eilistraee wrote:Unfortunately, TopMudSites prohibits us from giving rewards or any compensation for voting. The best we can do is promise to not spam more globals about going to vote for a little while, or in the rare case Shevy'll offer to sac Larim.

Then do it based on pbase, number of newbies online....lets say when we reach 10-15 newbies everyone gets a reward.....although the newbies should be a reward in themself.

Unfortunately, people will try to twink it...sigh.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:26 am

So you're Etharo. I am very happy that you're back.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:52 pm

Encouraging people to set their home page as the voting button page would help I think...if people did it.

- Mike
Raxos
Sojourner

Re: Yaba Daba Doo!

Postby Raxos » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Speaking of twinking. You know how infuriating it is to see a level 13 shaman killing melee mobs that you can't kill as an 18 warrior? No wonder so many people come here and quit. I'm returning from a long time ago, don't remember my old characters name, but its still aggravating to see a level 13 killing everything in the newbie zone that gives me exp and ignoring me while doing it.

Think twinking should be made a bannable offense.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:15 pm

Bannable offense? Let's be realistic. There's nothing wrong with twinking. If that twink had been leveling with you, I'm sure you wouldn't want it as a bannable offense.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:55 am

Yeah, nothing wrong with 'hey, xp me, you shamanic runt!'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Would be interesting to see what Bimble thinks of the mud now - 6 years after his original post...

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”