shield ac

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
kiryan
Sojourner

shield ac

Postby kiryan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:04 am

shield ac needs evaulating.

why don't shields have 2x or 3x the ac of other eq slots.

you have ac 17 helms, ac 15 wristguards, ac 10 eyepatches but the most ac ive seen on a shield is 18 and the average is 15 or less.

shields should start out at a minimum of around 15 ac (small shield a mage might wear) and go up to at least 40 ac given present eq in game.

while your at it nerf mage ac, redo the eq calcr and re-ac all eq.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:00 am

did you double post on accident or what? It's already on that other thread, almost verbatim. -100 on a mage is pretty useless in mid-upper levels anyway, imho. You still virtually always get hit.
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:01 pm

Drache wrote:did you double post on accident or what? It's already on that other thread, almost verbatim.

Perhaps he started a new thread to get attention to his question? *shrugs*
Drache wrote:-100 on a mage is pretty useless in mid-upper levels anyway, imho. You still virtually always get hit.

Rubbish. Go playtest stuff.

For the record, I agree with Kiryan, shields should represent a fairly big chunk of AC.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:23 am

Rubbish? -100 gets hit ALL the time if you aren't a cleric/warrior w/defense skill. *no Lvl 50+ mob misses much anyway. **I agree too that shield should be 2nd only to body armor.
Last edited by Drache on Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

-100 AC

Postby Abbayarra » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:30 am

I read somewhere on the boards that -100 or better ac will lower the amount of damage you take when you get hit. If that is the case then I can see why getting a -100 ac could be a good thing, even for a mage.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:34 am

Well, it boils down to how frequently do you encounter any nonwarrior that has -10 AC in D&D? I don't even know of any. But I'm no D&D expert :P
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:09 am

Drache wrote:Rubbish? -100 gets hit ALL the time if you aren't a cleric/warrior w/defense skill. *no Lvl 50+ mob misses much anyway. **I agree too that shield should be 2nd only to body armor.

no -100 doesnt get hit all the time. mages have dodge and level 50+ mobs miss alot with displace or blur.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:46 am

true. didn't think of that.
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:36 am

Getting back on track I think Kiryan has a point. Next to a breastplate armor shields should have the second best armor rating because that’s its main function to protect you. As a warrior I always wondered how some shields were as good as clothing ac wise. Not saying shields should have a base of -35 ac like some armor thinking something along the region of ac dependant on size of shield like mentioned before. small buckler ac 10 medium sized shields ac 20 tower shields ac 30 just as an example.
Click on the links below and vote for this mud!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev
The Mud Connector: http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vote_ ... ner's+Home
MudMagic (aka Kyndig): http://www.mudmagic.com/listings/game/609
Sesexe
Sojourner

Re: shield ac

Postby Sesexe » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:20 pm

kiryan wrote:shield ac needs evaulating.

why don't shields have 2x or 3x the ac of other eq slots.

you have ac 17 helms, ac 15 wristguards, ac 10 eyepatches but the most ac ive seen on a shield is 18 and the average is 15 or less.

shields should start out at a minimum of around 15 ac (small shield a mage might wear) and go up to at least 40 ac given present eq in game.

while your at it nerf mage ac, redo the eq calcr and re-ac all eq.

Kiryan,

Have you thought of perhaps making some sort of helpful data base, based on ac values, of items in the game for each slot with a seperate section for shields as well to perhaps assist in such a large endeavor?

You got the time and resources. Why not? Think of how compelling your argument would be with a simple spreadsheet showing the data, and how helpful that would be to any areas person who might actually be given this matter to look in to?

If I were an areas person on Toril, and I'm not, but if I was, I wouldn't be eager at all to jump up and stat the AC values of every worn item in the game because Kiryan thought I needed to compare then all (ya have admit you are rather abbraisive to the areas sphere on the BBS), but if he had arranged the necessary data ahead of time himself already... I would definitely be more inclined to pursue it.

But that's just my POV. *shrug*
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:31 pm

Drache wrote:did you double post on accident or what? It's already on that other thread, almost verbatim. -100 on a mage is pretty useless in mid-upper levels anyway, imho. You still virtually always get hit.

That is not at all accurate and I've done extensive testing as has Hsievssruk. -130 AC (the standard not -100) has a tremendous effect on how often you get hit against a lot of very high 54-59 level mobs.
kiryan
Sojourner

Re: shield ac

Postby kiryan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:44 pm

Sesexe wrote:Have you thought of perhaps making some sort of helpful data base, based on ac values, of items in the game for each slot with a seperate section for shields as well to perhaps assist in such a large endeavor?

Yes thought about it.

Sesexe wrote:You got the time and resources. Why not? Think of how compelling your argument would be with a simple spreadsheet showing the data, and how helpful that would be to any areas person who might actually be given this matter to look in to?

If I'm going to go through the effort it better get impd.

Sesexe wrote:If I were an areas person on Toril, and I'm not, but if I was, I wouldn't be eager at all to jump up and stat the AC values of every worn item in the game because Kiryan thought I needed to compare then all (ya have admit you are rather abbraisive to the areas sphere on the BBS), but if he had arranged the necessary data ahead of time himself already... I would definitely be more inclined to pursue it.

#1 I don't really care about being nice. I'm a direect one and an asshole to boot.

#2 You don't have to stat every items, you can just stat the shields and top 50 or so other items that people wear.

#3 Also, you don't have to take my word for it, a simple tell to any of several people including Hsievsrruk, Klandan, Inama (probably tons others) would tell you in an instance how AC affects you in game and the best eqs to wear. If Areas doesnt know their own equipment (which most dont) you can ask some of the more addicted players who do.

#4 The AC issue is largely a new issue since the toril eq changes, and is a direct result of how AC is compensated for in the calcr. The target AC for slots (theres some # for each slot that upon exceeding cost goes up tremendously) is generally too high and/or the target AC for a shield is far too low.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”