Character names

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Eshacin
Sojourner

Character names

Postby Eshacin » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:20 pm

Under Help names, one of the rules is:
8) No words or names from other languages or cultures.

If this rule has been changed or no longer applies, could this be made public?

I have recently noticed characters with German nouns as names, sorry to pick them out but I think the example is needed:

Ansturm (attack)
Alptraum (nightmare)

Good luck to those players if they like those names and are allowed to choose them, however, shouldn't the rules apply equally to all?

Personally, I prefer the rule as stated above.
shalath
Sojourner

Re: Character names

Postby shalath » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:47 pm

Eshacin wrote:Under Help names, one of the rules is:
8) No words or names from other languages or cultures.

If this rule has been changed or no longer applies, could this be made public?

I have recently noticed characters with German nouns as names, sorry to pick them out but I think the example is needed:

Ansturm (attack)
Alptraum (nightmare)

Good luck to those players if they like those names and are allowed to choose them, however, shouldn't the rules apply equally to all?

Personally, I prefer the rule as stated above.

Heh, I'm not much of a one to complain (yah right), but I petitioned a while back about Polish names and didn't get much of a response (I guess there were no imms around at the time). The one that comes to mind is "Kupa", meaning Shit ;-)
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:14 pm

Being _incredibly_ bored (I assume this post was made out of boredom)...I decided to do this:

< P: std > Listing of the Staff
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[ FORGER ADMIN ] Shar Dark Goddess of the Night, Lady of Loss, the Nightsinger
[ FORGER CODER ] Shevarash the Night Hunter, Slayer of Drow

There are 2 visible staff member(s) on.

Listing of the Mortals!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[49 Ran] Neset (Half-Elf)
[50 Sha] Mertak * Mystic Wanderer * Malevolent Order (Orc) (RP)
[14 Ele] Banak (Human)
[50 Ran] Dathoridan Mistwatcher (Grey Elf)
[20 Inv] Lemeli (Grey Elf)
[40 Rog] Sizan (Drow Elf)
[50 War] Gormal Stoneforge - Sonn - Mithrilguard (Dwarf) (RP)
[24 Dru] Lixan (Half-Elf)
[50 Rog] Nilan ShadowStalker *Velg'larn* Treachery's Blade (Drow Elf) (RP)
[44 Bar] Lyadie (Halfling)
[27 Pal] Arira (Human)
[50 Enc] Naled -Magi Aegis- Realms Mist (Human)
[29 Cle] Newican (Grey Elf)
[50 Ran] Mithil (Half-Elf)
[50 Ran] Teflor (Human) (RP)
[31 War] Laj (Barbarian)
[44 Rog] Ariles (Grey Elf)
[46 Rog] Aennah (Grey Elf)
[50 Ran] Theshial -Wilderness Guide- Realms Mist (Half-Elf) (RP)
[20 Bar] Yrbie (Halfling)
[16 War] Ludac (Dwarf)
[50 Rog] Ramo Silentkill * Killer * Malevolent Order (Orc)
[44 Inv] Kurrus (Yuan-Ti)
[49 Enc] Dudle (Halfling)
[37 Ctr] Dajat (Orc)
[46 Dru] Esor (Half-Elf)
[26 Enc] Melsathar (Grey Elf)
[47 Cle] Zymira (Human)
[50 War] Targsk Mosh Dwarf - To'Ryll Avuna - Orbdrin D'oloth (Troll) (RP)
[36 Ran] Asilen Winterstar (Half-Elf)
[44 War] Ufoc (Barbarian) (RP)
[32 Bar] Perule (Halfling)
[47 Bar] Kercil Nightstar (Half-Elf) (RP)
[49 Ill] Marrus (Yuan-Ti)
[31 Cle] Ridavakun (Duergar)
[50 Enc] Teshidee * Hand Maiden * Malevolent Order (Drow Elf)
[47 Ele] Alisil (Grey Elf)
[49 Cle] Shianna }-Envinyatare-{ Shades of Twilight (Grey Elf) (AFK)

There are 38 mortal(s) on.

Total visible players: 40.
Record number of players on this boot: 64.

Neset - www.neset.com (neset camping)
Mertak - http://www.elaziz.net/ticaret/sektor/ot ... mertak.htm (it's a first name in real life)
Banak A city in Norway
Lemeli http://www.lojban.org/tiki/tiki-index.p ... erminology (it's a foreign word)
Sizan ...Where to start. Search for tons of fantasy type hits.
Gormal It's a last name
Lixan Hispanic computer components webpage
Nilan Namebrand, etc...Multiple hits
Arira Arira Design School. . . Etc.

Get the point? You can't try to make up names w/o someone getting real ones. We're known on the mud by our alias/handle. **Edited for spam
Last edited by Thilindel on Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:15 pm

Double posted
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:22 pm

Thilindel wrote:Get the point? You can't try to make up names w/o someone getting real ones.

I think there's a qualitative difference between your and my examples.
I also very much doubt that those two names were auto-generated.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:43 pm

My 2 mains both come up on searches as designated meanings in some fashion. Who are you to say someone's intent on rolling a char? People make names on what they think sounds good, fitting, and aesthetically pleasing (the name's appearance), at least imho. Just in the list I showed that there were two hispanic names, some last names, etc. Are you just bored or what are you trying to accomplish here?
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:00 pm

Sorry, I'd though my post was clear. I'll try to paraphrase:

There are characters in game with names that clearly are disallowed under the published rules.

I wish those people (that person?) well if they can have the names they want.

I would like to know whether the rules have been relaxed or changed.

I personally think such names detract from the feel of the game, just as would a rogue named "killer". I'm talking about names that are nouns, not names of people or companies, and nouns that are inappropriate at that.

I can't understand why you're getting so worked up about what I wrote.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:22 pm

sorry if I come accross that way. I was just saying that the staff tries to keep out names that have alternate meanings or actually are verbatim something in another language. Lythix, for example, had a ton of hits when I researched him(me). That's all I was saying is that I had no intent of pulling anything over. I'm pretty sure that's the case across the board, but I wasn't trying to be mean if I sounded that way.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:03 am

Feh, some folks need to go zone more and search names less...
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:57 am

Ambar the Ogre has been around for years

*shrug*

names get thru the cracks then people get KNOWN by these names... most people dont know I am Tasira or Aerisia, but by the gods they know ambar .. *shrug*

think names have just been relaxed lately, greater things to worry about I guess as loing as it isnt too obvious .. I personally would only know a name is a rl word if it was in English .. arent most of the immorts English-primary speakers?
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:22 am

In addition, there have been numerous examples of characters existing on the mud and later that name being used in novels and books. It happens.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:44 pm

In cases where names are unacceptable, we ask the player in question to choose a new name and let us know when they think of one. Usually there is no huge rush on getting it unless there is something offensive in nature about the name. However, in cases specifically like the ones you mentioned in this thread, these names belong to characters of high levels with significant ptime invested. A name is not just something that can be changed after so long of playing. A name is what you are known by and you end up owning that name and being identified by/with it. Part of your very unique identity in this fantasy world of ours.

Some of you may remember not too long ago when there was a small outcry about a character named Asher. There were quite a few players who complained about the name after he became an established player. Well, I know what the word Asher means, and anyone well versed in Christian theology will probably also know that Asher is one of the Brothers of Joseph, one of the 12 tribes of Isreal. Hardly an unknown word/name.

Asher was a high level character who had established himself with the name. The character was totally past the "rename" phase and therefore was allowed to keep the name. Obviously, if he had a name that was truly offensive in nature, it would have been changed no matter how long he had had it.

In the grand scheme of things, people will slip thru the cracks when it comes to naming. The autoroller is not perfect and neither are the staff members who accept names. The naming conventions haven't changed and we don't plan on relaxing them.

Hope that helped.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:14 pm

When I first started here, I chose the name Celinon for my ranger. Basically it was just a group of letters that sounded "elvish" to me. Upon reaching level 20 and asking if I could have a last name, I was told immediartly by Kia that I needed a new name because my name SOUNDED french. So ease off the attitude. This place has come a long way since the days of der Fuhrur.

I'll never get over the tone of Kia as well... as if I had chosen the name just to spite the rules. Such a nice way to say "Congrats on level 20, keep playing!".

!!x
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:53 pm

My char Mamoru apparently is a brand of condoms in Japan from what I was told. Tanji is a somewhat common japanese name, neither were known to me when I first began using them. There's more important things to worry about these days than names.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”