Max_dex

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Max_dex

Postby Thilindel » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:34 pm

What I was told is if you are a race that does not get xtra attacks (gnome, grey elf, halfling, etc.) that you will not benefit from max_dex other than hitroll. Is this true? If it is, what's the point of max_dex? Skills are what determines success, not an attribute.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:08 am

Obviously not much. A piece of max_dex gear might be enough to get a hitroll notch for a half-elf, but it's not a very efficient way of doing so in most cases.
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'You are no match for elemental pants!'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:13 am

*poke poke* Coders :P That's just silly!
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:16 pm

There are dexterity based skills still... you would imagine a stat increase would still benefit there.

!!x
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:27 pm

Not to mention, codewise, tanking ability strongly favors those races with a higher natural agility/dexterity. In terms of tanking *skills* however, only dodge/riposte are in those two areas....go figure.

T
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:26 pm

Yasden wrote:Not to mention, codewise, tanking ability strongly favors those races with a higher natural agility/dexterity. In terms of tanking *skills* however, only dodge/riposte are in those two areas....go figure.

Normally, stat boosts to skills seem to be pretty insignificant. Dwarf rogues sneak quite well after all. And agility plays a much, much larger role in tanking than dexterity. And elf, troll, and gnome will tank better than a halfling since they have massive agility while halflings have massive dexterity. But there is supposed to be a bonus to parry for high dexterity in there. Parry is still considered a strength based skill, so this dex bonus isn't just a skill modifier and hence may be more significant.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:55 pm

as far as ive seen there is 0 extra "dex" attacks for any race other than gnome, halfling, elf and drow.

If you look at sservis' stat factors page you can calculate the differences between races (like human vs gnome), wear an equivalent amount of MAX_DEX eq and you will not get any extra attacks as a human.

Also, halflings don't seem to benefit from max dex eq, but gnomes and elves show strong increases per round on the order of .4 % extra chance per max_dex point. This testing was done at very low level to rule out skill based extra attacks.

I always thought it was funny that the bonus applied to non-melee classes too, it makes no difference at high level, but its funny at low level.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:09 am

Wow..I'm just surprised nobody said much about it sooner. Seems really really silly that you wear max_dex and not receive the true benefit. Human gets raised to elf dex, yet it's pawned off as a 'racial' bonus for an elf (or gnome/halfling, etc) to get bonus attacks. Halfling in its own helpfile lists having amazing dex for their attacks. *poke again* coders :P
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:20 pm

Thilindel wrote:Halfling in its own helpfile lists having amazing dex for their attacks. *poke again* coders :P

What I think Kiryan meant is that halfling dex is so high and causes that extra attack so often that it's already at the cap for how often it can go off. Halfling mages sometimes get a kick out of basically getting double attack for free.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:24 pm

Well, first, how do we know there's a cap? 10 hitroll (max innate halfling) is no big deal. 10 damroll ogre for max innate str can be brought up to 13 and probably more.

2ndly, the other point is that dwarves, humans, halfelves, etc, get no bonus for max_dex other than hitroll...big woop. Wearing multiple items just for ONE extra hitroll isn't worth it. There needs to be extra attacks given. That's the whole point. You wear Max_anything to get the higher race's bonus
bimble
Sojourner

Postby bimble » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:38 pm

Yes, but is extra attacks the real benefit from wearing max_dex?

Possibly the racial benefit is not extra attacks but skills.

As Bimble I had about 124dex and fiddled with finding dex notches when bored. I didnt see that it effected the frequency of my "extra" attack at all. However I did feel that dex based skills were just off the hook for a halfling with 100 dex and 24 pts of max_dex. With a minimal skill level at level 20-35 I could pick every lock in 1-2 tries, pretty much the same for steal etc with the exception that steal took a few more skill levels to attain the same frequency of sucess. At level 46 with that much max_dex it was just crazy. I was no where near master skills and had huge steal/pick success rates.

So I have no formal numbers to tell, but I do believe it has a function - just not on racial based attacks. Maybe the attacks is based on more than one thing?

B
Pisalos
Sojourner

Postby Pisalos » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:48 am

I was reading through all the posts to find helpful info. Am I understanding it right that elves, gnomes, and halflings get innate extra attacks? Is that like random rounds they get more than one attack or they always attack more often? I didn't really notice the elf mage hitting more but I wasn't trying to look really.

Also, does this maxdex mean that if you are um, a human, and then wear maxdex that would make you like an elf's dexterity, you would NOT gain the extra attack that the elf gets? If that is the case, what good is maxdex?
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:22 pm

I would assume that maxdex makes you assassinate better, backstab better and many other skills.

If you don't want to wear max_dex then don't. Races are already unbalanced in the favor of evil human females. I don't think it should be tipped more. Personally I have 106 dex, 102 agi. Simply in the hope of getting better dodge, backstab etc.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:33 am

Pisalos wrote:I was reading through all the posts to find helpful info. Am I understanding it right that elves, gnomes, and halflings get innate extra attacks? Is that like random rounds they get more than one attack or they always attack more often? I didn't really notice the elf mage hitting more but I wasn't trying to look really.

Also, does this maxdex mean that if you are um, a human, and then wear maxdex that would make you like an elf's dexterity, you would NOT gain the extra attack that the elf gets? If that is the case, what good is maxdex?

Only racial dexterity is going to cause an extra attack. Halfling dexterity is simply amazing, and I get an extra attack pretty consistently. My dex is 100 and I know it helps with ripostes.

Max dex is good for skills, and increasing your hitroll. Elves, drow and gnomes are in a much lower dexterity ballpark than halflings, so I can't speak on that much.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”