'Mental Rescue - Too Little, Too Late?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:59 pm

Since auto-rescue is a non-factor and you want it changed so much, my best suggestion would be to remove it entirely.

Could we get a staff member to jump on this right away please? Thanks.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
auslyx
Sojourner

Postby auslyx » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:09 am

It seems you guys are wasting time on Teflon. He's seemingly too damned stupid. That, or he's just hell bent on writing and taunting with his boring, wordy complaining.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:49 pm

auslyx wrote:It seems you guys are wasting time on Teflon. He's seemingly too damned stupid. That, or he's just hell bent on writing and taunting with his boring, wordy complaining.

I'll try to keep that in mind.
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:36 pm

Shrug.

Teflor, if you think what you're saying makes sense and you truly believe it will help whatever class you're playing, fight for it. That goes for anyone who has a belief, opinion, or thought.

I'll get flamed for this more than likely, because that seems to be the automatic reaction if anyone says something you don't agree with and therefore must be wrong.

All those people calling each other stupid and ignorant and throwing other insults at each other is wrong. That's the only thing that's wrong. Being hateful is wrong. Even if Teflor's idea wasn't logical by most players, it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Just felt like posting that.
Memorable Quotes from TorilMUD Gathering 2006

Sotana sez, 'I'll take it dirty.'
Teflor sez, 'Bobo, show me on the doll where the barbarian touched you.'
Duna sez, 'Is there anything else that needs to go in my backend?'
Pril sez, 'I'm too pretty to go to jail.'
Boboloppe sez, 'The only reason I joined Imphras was because of Sotana's ass.'
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:37 am

Also, in all fairness to Teflor, he does indicate that he knows how to play his class. He's just asking for more.

That's not "I don't know how to play the class," that's "I know how to play the class, and I want something better."
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:40 pm

With all due respect, I don't think pet auto-rescuing for any class is exactly necessary. The first time one of my pets auto-rescued me was in a situation where I was bashed and certain to die. I believe my response was to blink and say "Holy s__t, that's f__king awesome! I didn't know they could do that!" Point being, it was a nice add-on, but I had loved the class even before I realized elementals would rescue me on their own every now and then. Too, the class is arguably the most balanced class on the mud and, while I've argued for an upgrade to the class here and there, increasing the chance of an auto-rescue, or changing when the elemental decides to auto-rescue, is not one of them. Hell, take it out of the game entirely for all I care. As others have stated, it's affected my high-end gameplay all of... two times, IIRC. Frankly, in those situations, I deserved to die. Woulda served me right. In my opinion (please emphasize those words), increasing a soloing class's ability to solo is just plain wrong. If you're going to suggest an upgrade to a soloing class, it should be something that is used more in a group situation than in a soloing one--and that's if you're going to ask for an upgrade at all.

As Eilistraee said, helping out the lowbie elementalist with this sort of change would make the high-end gamers--the ones who spend literally WEEKS and MONTHS of ptime with their character learning the ins and the outs and learning how to use every possible iota of skill the class has to twink something--all the more twinky and would negatively impact the game as a whole.

One other thing, speaking of lowbie elementalists. While my elementalist is my alt and I had a pretty nicely-eq'd bard primary already, I started off on Evermeet with my starter eq and leveled to 20 pretty easily while using nothing from my alt's storage 'til the high teens because none of my friends were around to transport eq to me. But then, maybe I'm just happy I'm just comparing it to having to level a bard with starter eq.

As an elementalist, I would rather my pet didn't rescue me any faster than it already does. As a caster, we all know it's dangerous in some instances to target your spell by typing the name of the mob (for walk-ins and such). If my pet keeps rescuing me, then I have to worry about targeting the mob by name and worrying about these sorts of things. If control over pet rescue remains with me--a human, and infinitely more intelligent than a computer's AI--then I can choose my own actions to best fit how I prefer to play. Reactions to the game are left squarely in my hands at that point. I like it that way. :wink:
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:31 pm

Downgrade Birile. You know you want to. (And jack elementalists simultaneously.)
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:45 pm

Elementalists do not need an upgrade.

Personally, I would be frustrated if Herin's mentals, Sakor's Spirit Bear, or my baby necro's undead auto-rescued any more than they already do. It's a bonus to have them do it on a rare occasion. Most of the time, however, I'd like to be able to flee to get out, especially since mobs can switch with no lag, so, if your pet auto-rescues, there's no guaruntee that the mob won't just immediately switch back to you. The problem in that situation exists on multiple levels.

1) You're lagged from being rescued.

2) Your pet is lagged from just rescuing you.

3) You may have already taken a pounding before the initial rescue, but can't even cast to re-spell or heal yourself.

As you can see, I play several pet classes, and think that they are good just the way they are. Part of that, however, is that I know what their abilities are, and, while I will try mobs that are more difficult than I really should be able to handle, I understand that I've got to be really on the ball, hope that my spells land for max effectiveness, and count on the fact that I am going to lose 1 or more pets and possibly have a corpse lying around.

it's the nature of the game if you're fighting mobs that are more difficult than your level is really capable of.

Oh, and none of those chars has uber eq, although, now that Sakor is zoneable, he's getting there slowly.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:33 pm

First, I'd like to applaud Jenera from turning this thread into something productive from a flame thread.

and now for my 2 cents...

I think that playing any character from the start with newbie eq is not so much difficult as it is frustrating mainly because you start compating yourself to the other characters (of the same class) who have spanky eq and are leveling twice as fast as you. One possible way to solve this is to put level restrictions on eq so that lvl 1 pallies aren't running around with avengers and lvl 1 rogues aren't running around with khanjari's... but that's a little of the topic...

Tef, having pets autorescue would be more than annoying in larger fights when fleeing is better. Here's a good example:

You're in a fight against multiple mobs and 2 or more switch at once. If your pet rescues you you die from other mobs due to rescue lag, but if you can just flee out you live. I'm sure there's other examples that i can't think of on the spot esp since i haven't played my pet summoners much yet, but I thank that's at least one good example of when auto pet_rescue can cause death.

Pril
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:37 pm

Again, for the boneheads (Pril) who haven't realized it:

Yes, I realize the change I have proposed to the elementalist class would be considered a 'downgrade' of sorts to higher level elementalists who need more control over their elementals.

Downgrade'em.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:49 pm

First of all Teflor there's really no need for calling me a bonehead when you seem to misunderstand what I mean. Here's an example:

A level 21 elementalist who just got his mentals goes to BGR attacks a guard. A Black Griffon Warrior comes in and assists the guard by attacking you, and the guard switches targets. Your elemental rescues you from the guard, it lags you and the warriors kills you.

Now if you think that lvl 21 is "high level" then fine I understand, but if you don't see lvl 21 as "high level" then please stop calling me names and think about what you write before you write it next time.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:37 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Yes, I realize the change I have proposed to the elementalist class would be considered a 'downgrade' of sorts to higher level elementalists who need more control over their elementals.

Downgrade'em.

Wait. I wasn't listening. What was your proposal, other then downgrading Birile?
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:42 am

Isn't Birile small enough already?
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:18 am

Pril wrote:First of all Teflor there's really no need for calling me a bonehead when you seem to misunderstand what I mean. Here's an example:

A level 21 elementalist who just got his mentals goes to BGR attacks a guard. A Black Griffon Warrior comes in and assists the guard by attacking you, and the guard switches targets. Your elemental rescues you from the guard, it lags you and the warriors kills you.

Now if you think that lvl 21 is "high level" then fine I understand, but if you don't see lvl 21 as "high level" then please stop calling me names and think about what you write before you write it next time.

I think you misunderstood me as well. This effect would be fine, as it would well be a lesson to elementalists to be more aware of their situation, to only pick fights when they're sure it's safe. Furthermore, a BGR gaurd would take some doing to kill a lvl 21 elementalist, certainly much more time than the lag during a pet auto-rescue.

Even in your example, making pet auto-rescue happen earlier would be a good adjustment to the class.

Another item I'd like to point out is that wandering BGR guards don't walk in, yell, and assist in an instant. It's possible to take action when one comes in.

Anyway, Pril, sorry for being an ass.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:09 pm

Lenefir wrote:Isn't Birile small enough already?

Bah. :evil:

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”