Combo spells

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Dalar
Sojourner

Combo spells

Postby Dalar » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:02 pm

Vhaeraun, you know what to do
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:06 pm

oh hell yes. start with stone + stone = scale and heal + heal = full heal
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:07 pm

stone + stone was ironskin wasn't it.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:44 am

group heal + group heal = group full heal? *drool*
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:50 am

The ones I recall:

stone + stone = metalskin
heal + heal = full heal
cloud + ice storm = fog
V
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:59 pm

Cool idea, but how does it work exactly (for those of us who never played homeland)?

Double stoning someone upgrades the initial stone to "ironskin" (or whatever)?
Burmadapig
Sojourner

Postby Burmadapig » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:10 pm

It's all about timing.

Vikaz starts casting stone on Rugra.

SomeOtherEnchanter starts casting stone on Rugra.

The spells of Vikaz and SomeOtherEnchanter combine.

Rugra's skin transforms into metalskin.

*Not exact messages, but get the idea?
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:12 pm

You casted stone on someone, and if another stoner casted stone on the same guy before your spell landed, they would get metalskin. Same way for heal+heal and others. The whole system got abused heartly with triggers,

#alias ss {gsay stoning %1;c 'stone' %1} -- main chanter
and
#trig {group-says, 'stoning (%w)'} {c 'stone' %1} -- backup stoner

They changed it eventually so a chanter was required for the combo to work.
V
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:20 pm

Neato! Implement this one!!
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:21 pm

rer wrote:Cool idea, but how does it work exactly (for those of us who never played homeland)?

Double stoning someone upgrades the initial stone to "ironskin" (or whatever)?

If two separate casters cast stoneskin at approximately the correct time window (similar to how invoker negative spell feedback works) there's a chance that the spells will combine to create a more powerful version of the spell, or a completely different effect.

It made it so that having two stoners wasn't a bad thing and it made it fun for the two to work together. Also having two clerics meant that when you ran out of full heals you might be able to get by with the druid and cleric working together to use their regular heals to keep the tank alive.

Also some of the offensive spell combos could be neat, producing effects with different damage types or completely different end results than the original spells might have had, such as the case with ice storm and incendiary cloud fogging the room temporarily.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:35 pm

I'd like us to try the model used in EQ.

two backup healers should be nearly as effective as one primary healer... same can be applied to defensive casters. To make it require an enchanter or a cleric leaves us in the same boat we are in today, requirement of certain classes to really do much of anything.

there was also something like "metal blades" + "haste" = "blade storm" which was cool =)
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:43 am

wasn't it cyclone + haste = whirlwind or something.

Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:51 am

yes clone + haste was whirlwhind.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:17 pm

We don't need stone + stone nor heal + heal. In my opinion it just makes the game that much easier.

Adding the offensive combos or creating new offensive combos could be fun and interesting, but I don't think players need anymore defensive help.
Burmadapig
Sojourner

Postby Burmadapig » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:23 pm

Birile wrote:We don't need stone + stone nor heal + heal. In my opinion it just makes the game that much easier.

Adding the offensive combos or creating new offensive combos could be fun and interesting, but I don't think players need anymore defensive help.

Why add any offensive combo then? Invokers > All

The defensive combos add a bit more flavor to the game. They require two people in the group to accomplish them, so not a big balance issue there. i.e woudn't you be more inclined to bring two dscalers or two full healers instead of two people who can cast stone to make something not as defensive as dscale or two people who can cast heal producing full heal with not as much healing as a cleric casting full heal?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Birile wrote:We don't need stone + stone nor heal + heal. In my opinion it just makes the game that much easier.

If your concern is not making the game easier, aren't you just doing the same thing by imping the offenseive combos?

I don't know that imping the defensive combos would make any game/zone challenges any easier...

What it would do is make forming groups easier and remove some of the reliance on cleric and enchanter. Its very difficult to zone without a cleric or enchanter. Why shouldn't two druids be able to comine to heal nearly as effectively as a cleric? Or a shaman and an elementalist combine to make something equivalent to scales?

Combining offensive spells would remove some of the reliance on Invokers, but eithe way we are still in a situation where it takes 2 to produce what 1 would ordinarily...

How is this making the game easier?

I don't get it big dan.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:56 pm

I agree with Kiryan here. Adding combos just removes a little reliance on some of the highly specialized classes.

I think that as long as Stone + Stone < DScales but >> Stone, that's good.

And if Heal + Heal < FHeal but >> Heal, that's good too.

It would still be best to have Chanter/Cleric, but you could get by with a Sham/Sham, Sham/Ele/Dru, Sham/Ele/Dru/Dru combo.

Considering most zones you'll be taking a Shaman and a Druid, this just helps fill out the group when a cleric or chanter isn't available. Of course, it still makes the zone relatively challenging because your Sham/Dru have other spells to cast during fights, so they're not quite so focused on healing usually.

I think all this does is make zones doable when you can't get a chanter or a cleric. Those zones should be tough to do, but doable.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”