Limitations of Half-Elves

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Pisalos
Sojourner

Limitations of Half-Elves

Postby Pisalos » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:55 pm

I don't understand why half-elves aren't certain classes. Ones that come to mind right away would be: Illusionist, shaman, invoker, enchanter, anti-paladin (seeing as half-elves aren't readily accepted), and cleric. Half elf doesn't really have a niche that I've seen but I'm just starting out so any insight would help.
Birile
Sojourner

Re: Limitations of Half-Elves

Postby Birile » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:24 pm

Pisalos wrote:I don't understand why half-elves aren't certain classes. Ones that come to mind right away would be: Illusionist, shaman, invoker, enchanter, anti-paladin (seeing as half-elves aren't readily accepted), and cleric. Half elf doesn't really have a niche that I've seen but I'm just starting out so any insight would help.

Actually, the only class I would say I would give to the half-elf race would be rogue.

I believe the reasoning--as you touched on--is that half-elves aren't really accepted by the elven and human races. Thus, no one wants to teach them the typical crafts (magic, non-nature healing) and the crafts they DO learn are from wandering around and/or communing with nature. Thus, the bard, druid and ranger class choices. As for anti-paladin, they're not generally an evil race, and they would have to be accepted by evil humans (and their gods) to be this class.
Pisalos
Sojourner

Postby Pisalos » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:01 am

Oops, got paladin w/anti confused. I mean paladin, because they would seek refuge I think in their denial from normal society. Definitely agree with rogue - forgot that too. Considering they can be bards. Really hoping to see some illusionists and elementalists available. Not even 18, so I don't know what or much of D&D but the more I play the mud, the more I think about it when I'm not :)
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:22 am

problem with illusionist is that cloak of elvenkind is wearable by half-elves, giving them uber power. Unless i'm mistaken of course, and if I am, then flame me flamers!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:10 am

what's that cloak do?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:15 am

Selias wrote:problem with illusionist is that cloak of elvenkind is wearable by half-elves, giving them uber power. Unless i'm mistaken of course, and if I am, then flame me flamers!

You are not mistaken. However, currently Volos do the same thing, if I am not mistaken. This would simply open up the playing field.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:38 am

I'm such a tard. I HAVE that cloak. I just don't use it. After seeing our favorite sneaky druid in action, who feels the need to wear it!
Marrus
Sojourner

Postby Marrus » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:52 pm

A bit off-topic, but that cloak is absolutely broken. It's bad enough that it effectively give an entire race perm sneak (which totally changes how one approaches zones and twinking) but as was rightly pointed out: you would soon have an army of sneaking illus types.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:07 pm

Um... that was changed like 3 years ago...........It doesnt work like it did for Corth anymore.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:52 am

Any word from the big cheese about having a warrior halfelf? :P
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:44 pm

The change that was made "to Corth" wasn't actually to Corth or his Volo's. The imms changed the illusionist spell that allowed the illus to "hide" and move. Currently, the illusion can "hide" but not move w/o breaking hide, even if using volo boots.

Now as for leveling the playing field, please say you're joking or something. Volos are semi-artifact at the moment b/c tiamat isn't in the game. Allowing half-elves to be illusionists would eliminate a very cool aspect of being an illusionist and having volo boots. Sometimes the uber players do deserve something that us casual players cannot attain.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:02 pm

I agree that half-elves need more career choices. I don't see anything wrong with the other suggestions of voker, warrior, rogue. Maybe shaman, since who knows what that displaced half-elf is doing!

Holy crap, wouldn't it be nice to give half-elf the unique class of melee: Mercenary. Totally fits the theme.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”