Dires & Mounted Combat

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Botef
Sojourner

Dires & Mounted Combat

Postby Botef » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:19 pm

Is there a reason this is near impossible to notch? I assumed that mounted combat was one of the staples of this class, yet I can only recall notching mounted combat in battle maybe three times total, the rest have come from prac'ing at my guild.

I'm now level 40 and have a skill of 51. I'm always tanking on a mount when I solo, which is how I'm told it notchs best. I solo more than anything else for xp, so I would think it would have notched more...

What also intrigues me is that from my chats with Anti-Paladins, they all seem to notch their mounted combat using Charge. Dires can't charge...Perhaps this inability has an effect on notching this skill and was perhaps overlooked?

It also seems like Howl, Strafe and Outflank have no effect on notching mounted combat...It seems like at least some of them should, especially if Dires don't get charge considering the above three are mounted combat sub-skills.

Maybe Dires just don't have as high a mounted combat max as others, but for a class that has so many mounted combat skills I would assume that mounted combat has a similar max as a paladin/anti-paladin does.

Can any 50 Dires or Gods comment on this?
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:47 pm

I'll do some investigation into it :)
Eilistraee
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:51 pm

mounted combat took my paladin about over 30 hours of practice at skellies to go from high 50s to 75.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:51 pm

Thankies for such a quick response :)
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:19 pm

I notched mine 30 points in 3 hours. Get naked, tank some 30+ mobs that can actually hit you (perm hasted is good, ala navies in WD). Use a healer to tag along if you want, you can use your weapons, just make sure your AC is at the highest possible number.

From doing that, it seemed to me as if mounted combat is the very first check made *after* a successful attack check. If you're not doing high level exp, chances are you're not getting hit much and you won't notch it as much.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:31 pm

what about using charge? heard that works too
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:50 pm

Ambar wrote:what about using charge? heard that works too

As stated above, Dires cannot charge for they are not humans. This is one of my concerns, seems like at least one of their mounted combat skills (Howl, Strafe, Outflank) should help notch mounted combat.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:58 am

Botef wrote:
Ambar wrote:what about using charge? heard that works too

As stated above, Dires cannot charge for they are not humans. This is one of my concerns, seems like at least one of their mounted combat skills (Howl, Strafe, Outflank) should help notch mounted combat.

sorry only half read your initial post .. many apologies :(
icecillam
Sojourner

Postby icecillam » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:07 pm

Dire mounted combat can get high. 75-80 and I don't know the max yet. Like Yasden said, get nakid, get hit, a lot, and hit more, and hit more. Strafe/Outflank doesn't seem to notch mounted combat, but it'll go up like any defensive skill.

Did I mention you need to get hit more often?
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:21 pm

I experimented a bit with the naked thing last night and *BOGGLE* got two notchs in an hour...

Still, this seems like a joke...This is a core skill, I shouldnt be having to get creative and remove all my equipment to notch this, it should pretty well notch naturally on its own which it hasnt been - even when I'm getting hit regularly, every round, by mobs that take me two or three attempts to kill.
Thracx V'staluz
Sojourner

Postby Thracx V'staluz » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:47 am

icecillam wrote:Dire mounted combat can get high. 75-80 and I don't know the max yet. Like Yasden said, get nakid, get hit, a lot, and hit more, and hit more. Strafe/Outflank doesn't seem to notch mounted combat, but it'll go up like any defensive skill.

Did I mention you need to get hit more often?

Dires can notch mounted combat to 99, as well as archery.
"Only the educated are free." Epictetes
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:53 pm

You ever look into this at all Eilistraee? Specifically that Orcs can't charge like humans, making notching mounted combat through actual use (i.e. xp and zoning) near impossible, and instead pushing dires to sit in Mir tanking spirits for hours and hours to get one notch.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:15 pm

Uh... Yes. Yes I did.

*halo*

Should see something soon, sorry about the delay.
Eilistraee
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:49 pm

- Dire raiders can notch mounted combat through other combat abilities.

Much thanks!

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”