Shaman totem use.

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Zolav
Sojourner

Shaman totem use.

Postby Zolav » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:23 am

I'm sure this has already been brought up, but being new here I figured I would take the chance anyway.

I'm currently playing a Barb shaman and having lots of fun.. Lots! Now that I'm 23rd level and having quested for my pet I was quite excited to use it and it's awesome when I am able to summon it. Though it's quite frustrating to have the totem be unimpressed with me 3 times in a row then have to wait a mud week , ~ 3RL hours before I can attempt to summon it again.

What if that time was lowered a bit , to say 3 mud days, or only give shamans 2 chances per mud day. That way those of us who are able to play casually can still enjoy the benefit of the class.

Just a thought,

Zolav
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:37 pm

seconded!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:54 pm

totem spirits are rather powerful...

i don't know if i can agree that we should increase the frequency at which you can summon and use your totems.

i could see making summon totem !fail... especially at lower level (when they need it) vs at high level when its useful...
Zolav
Sojourner

Postby Zolav » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:58 pm

Maybe replace it with a chance to not complete the process of summoning and having to try again without losing the chance to use that pet.. But still only having 3 pets per mud week.

What I mean is something like " You weren't successful in summoning your spirit guardian, try again"

Though still keep the 3 successful pets per mud week.

I don't mind the restriction of 3 a mud week, but it's annoying to fail and "lose" a pet.

Thoughts?

Zolav
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:03 pm

I like the idea of making it three "successful" summons in a given period as opposed to three attempted ones. Maybe extend the time period or lower the number...something like 2 successful summons a week or 3 every 10 days, something like that.

Nothing more frustrating on my baby shaman than watching my totem strike out on 3 straight pitches...except maybe the mem times =P
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:43 am

Vandic wrote:I like the idea of making it three "successful" summons in a given period as opposed to three attempted ones. Maybe extend the time period or lower the number...something like 2 successful summons a week or 3 every 10 days, something like that.

Nothing more frustrating on my baby shaman than watching my totem strike out on 3 straight pitches...except maybe the mem times =P

Your baby shaman is Ogre? :P
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:16 am

I don't like the idea of making it based on successes at all. It would totally remove any point of having the skill / failure chance at all. Rather than being something that could actually influence how you play, it would become just an annoying waste of time summoning until you got it.

I think three a week is cool, makes me think of that crazy drow that had the kitten pet we all read about and how he only got it out on special occasions or was hesitant to bring it back after a big battle when it was injured. Lower level shamans are far better off than many other mid level classes, even without their pet. You can pretty much have it for a long time if you look after it as it is, and sometimes a pet might not want to come and help out a little shaman who never really uses it or befriends it. Giving it to them all the time would just make another flacid run of the mill boring feature.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:37 pm

The mentioned problem is only a problem for low-levels.

I don't think a highlevel can fail 3 in a row.

Not that I don't see the problem. But mabye it gives you something to look forward to.
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:16 pm

Disoputlip wrote:Not that I don't see the problem. But mabye it gives you something to look forward to.

Maybe so, to me it's just an aggravation but to a true newbie the high failure rate would give them something NOT to look forward to.

Could you imagine applying the same success/failure rate for classes who summon mounts?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:19 pm

I think I've only ever failed one out of 3 attempts at reasonably high level and i think i've only ever failed 2 out of 3 at very low level. I'm sure it really really sucks when you fail 3 in a row, but I kind of agree with Sarell...

I still wish you could unsummon your spirit and resummon it later so you don't have to waste summons.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:59 am

Honestly, during the entire time playing a shaman to lvl 50 my char was rarely inconvenienced by running out of totems or a failed totem summon.

Having said that, on those occasions my char has had it happen, and the times I have seen it happen to other shamans, it has been somewhat annoying.

Peerhaps leave the chances of failed totem summon the same, but consider increasing the number of totems per week to 4 or 5.
BEER
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:29 pm

ssar wrote:Honestly, during the entire time playing a shaman to lvl 50 my char was rarely inconvenienced by running out of totems or a failed totem summon.

Having said that, on those occasions my char has had it happen, and the times I have seen it happen to other shamans, it has been somewhat annoying.

Peerhaps leave the chances of failed totem summon the same, but consider increasing the number of totems per week to 4 or 5.

Say that after you've lost summons due to repeat crashes. :P
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:00 pm

crashes should definately reset the totem timer..
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:13 am

seconded that chain crashes just ruin your day as a shaman or a necro.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:02 pm

agree with that too .. crashes reset zones and quests, why not pet points and pet summons
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm

absolutely on the crash stuff
Shadow Scream
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:41 pm

I can imagine why crashes does not reset pets to summon.

I guess there is a way around it, but if it was made so you could rent and enter game and summon 3 more then it would be a disaster.
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:52 am

Kudos for having totems reset on crash now.

However...having now failed 9 straight summon attempts, it's not much of a comfort.

*sigh*
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:17 am

Wow, the gods jumped on this one super fast! thanks heaps for the fix to totems and mounts :)
Shadow Scream
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:59 pm

DARTAN
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”