Homeland was a pretty big mud

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

Last edited by Birile on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:52 pm

muxxissinix wrote:Thats just my point, what will make you go there ?
If anyone is thinking in go explore or find out where is this zone , just dont waste your time.

Honestly, this zone is, what, 30 rooms away from Meilich? Which is, what, another 30 rooms away from WD? Wow... that's exploring? Not to mention it's all of 30 rooms away from Menzoberranzan, too. Most people don't realize how close Menzo and WD are in relation to each other. Not to mention the zone also brings you near the other purple worm that most people don't know about and some pretty cool UD zones that most goodies could--but don't--do because they've never thought to explore the UD and don't know what they're missing--even though those zones are a stone's throw from WD. Okay, so I'm biased--the areas around the Dark Dominion are my favorite on the whole mud.

Crystal Caves isn't perfect but it's not as bad as you say it is by a long shot. It's too bad no one's interested in an exp zone where there's actually true risk involved (wandering aggros who DI and track, woo!). It's a zone that could actually teach new players how to play the zoning aspect of the game really quickly--and all while exping--I think that's a great thing.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:34 am

I really appreciate the feedback on the zone. I think it is great to have the lines of communication open.

For those that played HL, it is pretty similar to how it was there. I've added some mobs, but none of them are really hard. If you see the Dust Wraith, I'd recommend silencing it. It's a fairly rare load anyway. The xorn? I don't get where a low lvl mob is annoying. It is one of if not the fastest repopping xp zone in the game. In addition, part of the allure of the zone on HL was the xp bonus to fighting multiple mobs. I believe the zone compensates for that.

Remember something, HL was created by old Toril players who xp'ed at places like the Tower and MS wizzies. It isn't DS. You'd have a tough time botting in Crystal Caves. Also, doing things like ressing someone on the bottom grid, which I watched a group do, is a bad idea.

When the menzo quests went in, I did modify Crystal Caves. The large earths and wierds do not track anymore. I could see where that would make things hard, although I remember doing xp in the Tower and having folks accidently bring the mage or spectres through.

Finally, I've learned not everyone is going to love things, and that's cool with me. I believe the zone is good for what it is meant for. If you don't, I encourage you not to xp in it. Leave it for the folks that want a bonus for what they do and a little bit of adventure in their xp.
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:57 pm

implement dirtkick @ once.
V
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Lathander wrote:I really appreciate the feedback on the zone. I think it is great to have the lines of communication open.

For those that played HL, it is pretty similar to how it was there. I've added some mobs, but none of them are really hard. If you see the Dust Wraith, I'd recommend silencing it. It's a fairly rare load anyway. The xorn? I don't get where a low lvl mob is annoying. It is one of if not the fastest repopping xp zone in the game. In addition, part of the allure of the zone on HL was the xp bonus to fighting multiple mobs. I believe the zone compensates for that.

Remember something, HL was created by old Toril players who xp'ed at places like the Tower and MS wizzies. It isn't DS. You'd have a tough time botting in Crystal Caves. Also, doing things like ressing someone on the bottom grid, which I watched a group do, is a bad idea.

When the menzo quests went in, I did modify Crystal Caves. The large earths and wierds do not track anymore. I could see where that would make things hard, although I remember doing xp in the Tower and having folks accidently bring the mage or spectres through.

Finally, I've learned not everyone is going to love things, and that's cool with me. I believe the zone is good for what it is meant for. If you don't, I encourage you not to xp in it. Leave it for the folks that want a bonus for what they do and a little bit of adventure in their xp.

Don't worry, I had the same issue with Randar's exp. I believe it took a while to realize that the exp in there is good. Ever consider putting consumables on your exp mobs or possibly quest items?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Lathander wrote:Remember something, HL was created by old Toril players who xp'ed at places like the Tower and MS wizzies. It isn't DS.

Exactly! Quit crying because crap isn't handed to you on a platter. Christ, even when pirate ship was the best exp zone and you had to contend with multiple groups it was annoying. Now there's DS and smoke, which is the gods basically handing you exp. I understand people don't have the time to regain death exp in an exp zone anymore, but good lord.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:24 pm

Tower, ms wizzies, and elites weren't tough either. The only time you had to pay attention was doing spectres. That's it. The big difference between old exp zones and new exp zones are the amount of vnums used. Elites were all 1 vnum and I'm sure wizzies were as well. Tower took a while to repop too.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Gukov
Sojourner

Postby Gukov » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:58 am

I xp'd there for two or three hours over multi and thought it was pretty decent. Died a few times getting used to how it operates but after that did fine and made up all lost xp and then some.

My perspective is that xp with aggros like in crystal caverns is what CM ought to be but is all wussified. Make mobs in CM aggro like they should be and crystal caverns will compare very well.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Kifle wrote: Now there's DS and smoke, which is the gods basically handing you exp.

Heh, are there any PC games or other online games that take as long as toril does to gain levels, save rogue? Even rogue when plvl'd in DS is fairly time consuming. I'm thinking from a modern standpoint instead of a college kid that has nothing better to do or keeps him out of the bars type objective like the original muds were probably designed for - Let's test something..
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:50 pm

We were averaging higher exp than DS in some places at the beginning of the wipe and the values haven't been changed.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:55 pm

Thilindel wrote:
Kifle wrote: Now there's DS and smoke, which is the gods basically handing you exp.

Heh, are there any PC games or other online games that take as long as toril does to gain levels, save rogue? Even rogue when plvl'd in DS is fairly time consuming. I'm thinking from a modern standpoint instead of a college kid that has nothing better to do or keeps him out of the bars type objective like the original muds were probably designed for - Let's test something..

Grinding-wise, maybe ffxi, but then again, it may be close for a few others I've played. Grinding out higher levels in EQ2 was mind-numbing. The only difference is you get a bit of bonus exp for questing, so that does make it barable (on many levels). I believe toril should impliment something along those lines as well, but I hardly think that would ever happen, unfortunatley.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”