Experience

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Hsoj
Sojourner
Location: Not close enough to stalk... Latitude 45°30'30" Longitude -121°50'30"

Experience

Postby Hsoj » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:25 pm

Is experience fine how it is?

I think not...

Something isn't quite right when it's more advantageous expwise for me to sit in a zone and slaughter solo than hang out w/ my buddies and kill stuff.

How about reducing the penalty for grouping.

and when was the trophy system last looked at? Have any changes been made to the trophy system in the past 10 years?
-==~ Tafah Auvry'ar'lyl | Fatah Fire Bath ~==-
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:46 pm

What's wrong with exp is that its better to solo/small group slaughter the same mobs repeatedly rather than doing a zone full of different mobs.

<insert Sarell saying something about upgrade trophy here>
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:11 am

Seen this thread way too many times over the past years. Will Hsoj make a difference?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:44 am

upgrde trophy downgrade tables, TOUCH GORMAL
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Hsoj
Sojourner

Postby Hsoj » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:23 pm

agreed dalar, i did a search on trophy and ran across many of the same threads, but that was after i posted this

I figure if I say it nicely that maybe it will water the seed those older posts planted in our admin's head
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:36 pm

Shrug, I'm guessing the problem is most of the gods who have mortals took the time to do it and think it's OK to have it take forever level. The way of the hardcore gamer is slowly getting phased out.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Hsoj
Sojourner

Postby Hsoj » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:55 pm

Duris wiped near end of October and people were 50 within days, I NEVER want to see toril like that. I agree completely that exp should be an endeavor that should take a decent amount of time.
BUT
there's always a but...
I disagree with the code that penalizes grouping, this should be encouraged, zoning for exp should be encouraged, sittin' on 2 mobs and gettin' 12 levels having 24.5 (an overgrown fern) x2 on trophy is just ridiculous...

ex·pe·ri·ence
n.
Active participation in events or activities, leading to the accumulation of knowledge or skill: An event or a series of events participated in or lived through. The totality of such events in the past of an individual or group.

I just don't understand where the administration sits on this topic. I'm not sure what you mean by the way of the hardcore gamer getting phased out. Howver, what i do know is that with how trophy tables and exp currently work... exploring Toril, sojourning out into the world and killing the thousands of different mobs with your friends might be fun, but it's not advantageous to gaining exp for your character, only for yourself.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:31 pm

gotta agree with ya Hsoj except one thing..

I dont think it really penalizes grouping, it just splits the xp fairly according to level and damage done (plus bonuses for healing and stoneskin)

So if you are two, you get half the xp. Sucks, except that it can take less than half the time to kill a mob if you are two. Trick is to find the right group/methods to kill mobs more than x times faster than the x people in your group. You will notice you notch less but faster, and in the end you xp faster.

Still agree tho, it shouldnt split it quite evenly, should be a slight bonus to grouping.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:16 pm

Daggaz, it does penalize you. The way you described it is correct. Also, you have to consider the supply of mobs to exp on. If you're in DS, you should keep your group small because it relaly only takes 2 people to clear DS before a pop. So if you kill things too fast, you won't have enough to do and just waste more time waiting for pop than killing.

This is why Randar's was suppose to kick ass, but nobody likes paying attention while exping so it kinda failed.

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:25 pm

I love going to Randar's, it's the the people who followed me that didn't :p
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:38 pm

Umm Viggie.. its cus it was counterproductive luv....
Hsoj
Sojourner

Postby Hsoj » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:44 pm

i've heard of randur before.. something about it being difficult?
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:48 pm

*chuckle*

Very Fast repop.. assisting aggro mobs that hit HARD.. doing it w/o a mage.. IMO.. not smart. *grin*

Very easy to get comfortable then get spanked. While most of the orcs don't DI.. the cooks do.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:22 pm

Lilira wrote:Umm Viggie.. its cus it was counterproductive luv....

It was only counterproductive for you guys. . .I came out beautifully :p
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:44 pm

Shrug, do you do DS without a mage too? The whole idea behind Randars is to get a tank, a stoner, a healer, and any form of damage. If more damage wants to come, the faster you can exp.

Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:44 am

There are all kinds of nifty combinations that work well for Randars. I kind of liked it when people didn't want to go there. I'd grab 1 or 2 other people and we would have it to ourselves. Granted, you have to stay on your toes in Randars, but it is 2-mannable xp.

Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:20 am

Exp itself is actually much harder now than it used to be because you need more experience points from 46-50. However people have made stupidly good exp zones, DS in particular to cater for this, where you can sit from level 1 to 50 and do just fine. Unfortunately, sitting in DS from level 1 - 50 is so freakin boring it makes you stop playing. Ask people to do exp in the places that used to be good exp, dusk road, tower, jot, demi, (can't do MS now), and you get laughed at because it is less than half the rate of DS.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:10 pm

Clouds grid exp with a medium size group is the way to go :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:47 pm

Dalar wrote:Shrug, I'm guessing the problem is most of the gods who have mortals took the time to do it and think it's OK to have it take forever level. The way of the hardcore gamer is slowly getting phased out.

You're kidding right? You think hardcore gamers want to play a game where they can get to the highest level within a week? Muds like that are not hardcore.

That's not to say that toril is a hard mud. The difficulty here seems about moderate. Mobs are pretty weak, players are powerful, little risk.

- Mike
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:01 pm

Yea, because all those hardcore guilds are playing what? WoW? OK. Yes, they have plenty of alternatives like EQ2.

Also, my statement meant that hardcore gamers are slowly moving on. Why? Because many of them are aging. 10 years ago, I’m willing to bet most people were between 16-24 years of age playing games like Sojourn and Everquest. Back then, you could skip class, not work, and just spend all your time on the lovely time sinks that the game provided. 10 years later, these people are 26-34 now. Now they have full time jobs, possibly a family, and money to spend. While many may have interest in the games, they probably won’t commit nearly as much time as they did in their “prime”.

So what’s this mean? Games need to adapt to more casual play. All you have to do is decrease the exp penalty per extra member in group to promote group play outside of zoning. This is not rocket science and can only benefit the MUD. What does solo exping or duoing promote? Nothing. But you know what? I’ve said the exact same shit the past 3 years about the way experience is done on this MUD and nothing ever changes. Tone never mattered and it never will.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:45 am

small group exp >>> large group exp.

ive always wondered why the gods don't think thats a problem on a game that emphasizing large groups.
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:10 pm

I haven't been on to play in weeks. Why? I just got tired of having a couple hours to spend, logging in, spending half or all that time trying to get a group, only to have to leave when (if) things started happening. I can do a bunch of things solo, but, with the limited amount of time I have to spend I'd rather read a book or something. A grouping board (in game or online) would be really handy. Someplace where leaders could advertise for a specific zone or amount of zoning. And lately 'Real Life' (TM) has taken a real bite out of me, and it takes some doing to just earn the plat for my guild fees. It's really frustrating, because I've played here since just after the first pwipe, and just NOW have a 49.something char who can't get to 50 :-).

Hilien.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”