Dragons Wording

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Dragons Wording

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:06 pm

Please review the ability of dragons to word of recall. This makes no sense RP-wise or game-wise. Dragons are hard enough as it is, without making this behemoth creature cast word of recall. It's even more fun when you're attacking them with nice arrows and they vanish.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:45 pm

Why does it not make sense? Dragons are extremely intelligent creatures with innate spellcasting ability - why would they not utilize every tool at their disposal to escape death?
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Dragons

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:59 pm

They are very intelligent Shev, in ADND also. But dragons are also extremely proud creatures, with an extreme ego. A dragon would never word. Period.
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:25 pm

I'm of the opinion that they are very intelligent, and that’s the reason for their tactical retreat..
Now because I'm totally sadistic, I think that any dragon that makes such a retreat, as a matter of pride, should also find you no matter where you hide once its healed.
Want to rent? Go ahead. When you come back you'll be dead. (Dragon tracked you to the town and destroyed the inn.)
Camp? Same as above.
Drop link? You get the idea.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Also, it makes sense that they can word to distribution rooms too.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Oghma
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Oghma » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:25 pm

Dalar wrote:Also, it makes sense that they can word to distribution rooms too.

An ancient white dragon begins casting a spell called 'dimensional rift.'
Oghma The Lord of Knowledge, God of Bards
[ Administrator ] of TorilMUD
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:40 pm

Marthammor wrote:I'm of the opinion that they are very intelligent, and that’s the reason for their tactical retreat..
Now because I'm totally sadistic, I think that any dragon that makes such a retreat, as a matter of pride, should also find you no matter where you hide once its healed.
Want to rent? Go ahead. When you come back you'll be dead. (Dragon tracked you to the town and destroyed the inn.)
Camp? Same as above.
Drop link? You get the idea.

lets think about this now...a dragon that had to make a retreat comes after me after i just beat it down to near death. why would i run and rent?
dragons are annoying enough as is. i have no problem with dragons like saksalan wording...but global loads like lightning dragon should not word. its just stupid.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:36 am

Sense schmense, wording globals just don't work gameplay wise. They can word to a place you can NEVER get to, goodbye arrows... or worse, you have 15 people waiting twiddling their thumbs for half an hour for them to full heal up and come back to you.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:11 pm

Yeah, I have to say I'm of agreement on the wording globals part of this. Dragons are smart and should word when they're in mortal peril... sticking around to die would be silly, no matter how much pride any one dragon might have. Making it so that they word to a distro room, however, has always been a sore point for me. You want to make tracking them down tougher? Create a beacon that becomes their "lair" and allow it to load in random spots in the mud, then have them word to that point. Maybe not so random as global loads are now... maybe with some common sense behind it.

It could even look cool like a lair... like a pile of rocks torn into a natural cave in the earth, but it's a portal, so you enter it into the actual lair.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:10 pm

Never said my post was well thought out and intellegent, just that dragons are. :P

I'll also agree with the global loading dragons wording. Having been on that side of the coin a few times, it sucks. I'm kinda liking Ashiwi's idea about the lairs. There aren't a lot of global loading dragons that I can think of (lighting, ancestral shield, and Emaeladralae), so it shouldn't be too hard to make lairs for them. Would also work to remove dragons from being seen just setting on roads all over the place as well.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:45 pm

The newbie killing blue dragon that wanders the roads by CP is my favorite 'wtf!?' =D Hrm, wait, it's even killed lvl 50's that were speedwalking thru there :(
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:46 am

Heh I spedwalked (I dont actually have any speedwalkers, i just type damn fast) past that dragon once, and he didnt hit me, but he did scare the bejesus outta me... and I got out further along the road, and started to warn my friends and suddenly...

You feel a slight wrenching sensation...

Yeah, I sped on outta that zone. Wierd he could summon me without actually aggroing me.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:37 pm

YUP!!!!

Been there.. done that.. died once too!

Wandering along to CP, minding my own business...

ZAP! Electrocuted bard-k-bobs.

Talk about your WTF moment.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”