Doors that lock on pop

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Ifin
Sojourner

Doors that lock on pop

Postby Ifin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:40 pm

I was wondering if most areas where a key is required to enter is by design supposed to pop locked from the other side.

I was exploring with my rogue in Westfalls, and happened upon a church where I dropped the key outside in case some misfortune should happen inside, and it popped while I was inside trapping me in.

Another case in point is Meilech/Swamps, where the key is dropped on the outside in case of spanks, and yet the door pops locked from the inside.

Dropping a key to a zone or even small popping area requires thoroughness on the part of the leader to remember and to recover from spanks, and some of these areas wouldn't accessible for a CR situation w/o the key on the outside.

I can't think of why it would be twinkish to keep the door unlocked from the inside in these few cases, certainly you've already entered the area which was the challenging part. The only thing I can think of is someone teleporting in and then unlocking the door for the rest of the group, but if the area was tele then could just use summon/fold/etc. anyways so I can't see an argument there, esp. for the high level zone in question Swamps where it's !tele everywhere in tower.

It seems to just cause people to AFK and get bored and frustrated while they find someone able to run and unlock the door from the outside.

So my question is, is this by design and we just have to idle, *yawn* etc. til we find help (not always easy for everyone/at all times)? Or would these cases be an area oversight and we can petition to be let out if trapped and the areas would then be looked at.

Thanks.
Brandobaris
Staff Member - Areas

Re: Doors that lock on pop

Postby Brandobaris » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:07 pm

Ifin wrote:I was wondering if most areas where a key is required to enter is by design supposed to pop locked from the other side.

It depends on the situation and the designer. It is an important aspect that probably does not get as much attention as it should.

In regards to doors locking on the inside, I suspect this is not something that is done with the intention of trapping players.

Ifin wrote:So my question is, is this by design and we just have to idle, *yawn* etc. til we find help (not always easy for everyone/at all times)? Or would these cases be an area oversight...

Well for starters, it's not a bug. Depending on the situation, it might be an oversight, or it might not.

If you think you find a problem with an area, you should mmail a description of the problem to areas, so that it can be corrected.
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:59 pm

Thanks for the response, though

Well for starters, it's not a bug. Depending on the situation, it might be an oversight, or it might not.

my question wasn't whether it was bug but stated whether or not these cases would generally be design flaws. :p BC is the only zone that I can really see it being a design that makes sense for a door to close locked behind you.

Let's take Swamps/Meilech as a case study, as I know I'm curious and a lot of other players have complained or wondered about the door to the tower.

The entire tower is !tele, so there's no chance in teleporting inside the tower and then opening the door to bypass the challenge.

Wording/getting someone else to run to Meilech to unlock after group has defeated tower doesn't present any tangible challenge except time.

So would this be a candidate for a design flaw?

It seems only popping zones have this issue, and was wondering if this annoyance could be looked at, i.e. we don't expect the door to TTF to lock after defeating end boss and someone has to run to let us out.

One step further, so with most zones that have popping doors usually have someone sitting outside so when it pops they can hurry up, open door so people can flee if necessary, even in swamps where if you go into silver/gold/platinum close to pop, someone stays out due to the strategy of the zone.

Is this an intentional and/or legitimate challenge (ie group strength might be at 14 instead of 15 depending on who sits out), or is this something that can be done away with also also allow these type of doors to unlock from the inside?

IMHO locked doors should only be to make sure someone has done x thing in order to progress, and after doing so should be unrestricted in movement.

IC Vault would also be a candidate to look at with these door problems.
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:25 am

I've changed two of the doors in BC so they don't lock from the inside.
I've also changed the doors in Meilech so they don't lock from the inside.
The door in Moon Temple was fixed awhile ago to prevent people from getting trapped inside after the zone was finished.

Will take a look at the IC vault door, but I don't see why it couldn't be changed either.

Like Brando said, if you know of any doors that you think should be looked at, don't hessitate to mmail areas. Be sure to include the room name if possible as well. Helps us to track down what room the door is in rather then us having to walk through the zone looking at every room. ;)
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:35 am

Thanks for the swift response. :)
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:20 am

Did IC Vault today w/a group and noticed that the doors still trapped you in from inside. Priests couldn't word either from inside to run out and unlock it either. Was wondering if this can be looked at again.

Thanks!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:15 am

I don't think that IC Vault should be changed personally. Its very easy for someone to get the keys and unlock them to get you out, and it adds a little something to the zone. Its supposed to lock people in with the remo's unless the key person is paying attention. I'm pretty sure its definitely a design feature for the zone and this is an instance where it should stay.

I think that Knight's Test should keep this feature as well in addition to making it more challenging.
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:21 am

I can see how pop locking you in from the inside adds an element of surprise, timing and careful planning by the leaders, and attention paying by the "key" person.

Yet for these doors to move through, you would have to leave the key once you finished in the previous room, and on pop it locks the correct key on the outside.

It's easy, but can also take another 10-15 min. as well, and again, your own party member can't word and do it and you have to trouble someone that wasn't with your group.

At a minimum, I don't see any argument why after killing the lone guardsman at the end all the doors shouldn't unlock. An easy way to accomplish this is to have a master key pop on him, or "touch throbbing" teleports you out of the vault area.

As for whether they should be unlocked while attempting the zone as a feature, that's up to the imms to decide and it's only after completing the zone issue that I bring up.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”