soul walk, walked in messages

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
kiryan
Sojourner

soul walk, walked in messages

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:36 am

Has anyone else noticed that soul walk messages don't always appear?

It seems like as the necro, sometimes I see them walk in, sometimes I don't. I also heard other people tell me sometimes they get a message when i finish casting and sometimes they just have to look when i finish casting to see.

Anyone else notice the same thing?
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:36 am

Relocate can do the exact same thing. I always assumed it was because they didn't have a light or something mundane like that.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:34 am

You could look at is as they enter behind you. Without any bright flash or sound, you wouldn't know anyone was there unless you looked. *shrug*
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:00 pm

I have noticed this recently too.
I thought it might be my client black/grey ansi playing up like it sometimes does (shows nothing on some black/grey ansi text sometimes).
BEER
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:00 pm

I've always just thought of it as a stealth relo :P same as dim
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:53 pm

Nod, I could look at it that way.

Or it could be an unintended feature (we call those bugs) that you may or may not want to be corrected? How do you know whatever causes this "feature" doesn't affect other important messages too? Wasn't there some other talk couple months ago about spell messages not showing up?

Also I noticed long ago that sometimes when i cast spells theres an abnomally long pause before i see the spell start chanting, but it seems that it was chanting because I end up with a normal length chant. Maybe its related.

Now I really don't care if thats the way it works, its not a big problem for me, but losing text like that and not knowing why or under what conditions sounds like a potential problem.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:14 pm

Its been doing this since about a year ago if not longer...Not all the time, maybe 1 in 5 and I haven't seen any pattern related to it happening yet.

Is a little annoying, but since the lag on soul walk is ungodly you'll usually know if you succeeded or not long before the lag is gone by seeing the soul walked person do something. I agree though, sometimes when quirks like this show up I have to wonder if something else we cannot see is going on.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:23 pm

It's actually pretty simple - I hijacked the relo code for the transfer element of soul walk and that included the chance that the transfer wasn't noticed.

I keep meaning to remove it actually, but it hasn't happened yet. But nothing nefarious is happening there.
Eilistraee
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:15 pm

Sneaking up on people (with relo) is fun on occasion! Adds to the spice of life!

Also it could be an indication that the person who didn't see them come in just wasn't looking that way. *shrug* Works for me. *grin*
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:49 pm

what mage in their right mind wouldnt want: fireworks, strobes, smoke screens, disco dancers, hooters witresses, and Aretha Franklin announcing their entrance?? its just the way mages are. big and flashy just like elton john but without the penetration thing.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:29 am

*snort* Not all.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:21 am

amolol wrote:what mage in their right mind wouldnt want: fireworks, strobes, smoke screens, disco dancers, hooters witresses, and Aretha Franklin announcing their entrance?? its just the way mages are. big and flashy just like elton john but without the penetration thing.

I bet you think rangers are supposed to be like the ranger from Yogi Bear, too.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:31 am

Damn bears always stealing my pick-i-nick baskets. Even they're better than rangers :(
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:48 am

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Damn bears always stealing my pick-i-nick baskets. Even they're better than rangers :(

Ey Booboo get me that pick-i-nicka basket...
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:52 am

Hrrm that sounds more like Deputy Dog .. hrrm
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:45 am

Eilistraee wrote:It's actually pretty simple - I hijacked the relo code for the transfer element of soul walk and that included the chance that the transfer wasn't noticed.

Best answer ever!

(sorry, just had a 13+ hour day fixing crappy code. Struck me as a particularly elegant solution.)

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”