AntiPaladin and tanking

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

AntiPaladin and tanking

Postby Abbayarra » Tue May 16, 2006 3:36 am

I have a disagreement with another member of my team. I was tanking a few nights ago on pirate ship. I was tanking while mounted, I was the only tank in the party. I had no defensive spells but 2 clerics. One cleric was switched to and I failed a rescue and he promptly died. I was not bashing as I was fighting mounted.
1) Should I have been mounted?
2) Should I have been dismounted and bashing?

Please settle this disagreement.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue May 16, 2006 3:58 am

1) Yes.
2) No.

Bashing, while preventing offensive spells, cannot always stop a switch if the mob switches fast enough, you lag for a brief moment, or you simply typo the command. The cleric should've been more responsible and paying attention and either triggering a flee on switch, or tankname, or just leaving the room. This is one reason why casters should NEVER assist the tank during xp, unless there are multiple mobs of the same name in the room.

Failing rescue in a zone can often lead to this exact same result. It's just a part of the inherent risk in using the skill. The cleric should've probably had armor and/or better AC, and probably self-vitted full-time if they're going to die that quickly on a switch.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue May 16, 2006 8:45 am

i hardly think there is one right answer.

if you knew you had people afk, you might've been bashing with a 1h and shield instead... especially if you had someone else doing damage and especially if your rescue sucks (which it probably hasn't been practiced up to 85+).

on the other hand, switch flee is probably the better choice (all non tanks flee on switch for 5 seconds). you can maximize kill speed (2handing) minimize need for heals and since everyone is responsible for their own lives you can charge for extra damage.

did the cleric have a wimpy? if he didn't that was dumb. if he was bashed the mob switched to him you failed rescue and he died, thats just bad luck and low ac/hps/eq.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue May 16, 2006 9:10 am

If the mob bashed then switched the cleric would still have time to flee unless they were some sorta gnome and got rare stun bashed. The cleric should have fled. Exp is about A: getting the most exp possible, this means you should 2 hand, and B: praccing skills if you can, like rescue, mounted combat, etc! Tog a wimpy doing exp, it's not worth dying, and if they were simply afk, then they wern't healing and so by killing them you increased your rightful share of the exp again! :)
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue May 16, 2006 12:32 pm

Sarell wrote:If the mob bashed then switched the cleric would still have time to flee unless they were some sorta gnome and got rare stun bashed. The cleric should have fled. Exp is about A: getting the most exp possible, this means you should 2 hand, and B: praccing skills if you can, like rescue, mounted combat, etc! Tog a wimpy doing exp, it's not worth dying, and if they were simply afk, then they wern't healing and so by killing them you increased your rightful share of the exp again! :)

totally agree, if they were too small to flee in time, then that's the chance you take for power leveling.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

more information

Postby Abbayarra » Tue May 16, 2006 1:18 pm

Cleric who died was 46th, lost level to 45th.
He was casting at the time so was not afk. He was not armored or vitted to the best of my knowledge.
My rescue is around 85, I'm a 45th level anti. This was the only double fail on rescue all night.
I don't have great equipment although I have a good shield.
I actually failed 2 rescues, one right off of switch, the cleric died in the second round. The cleric had aborted after the first round and failed flee.
We were fighting the captain.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue May 16, 2006 3:55 pm

not armored or vitted, both cleric staple spells :)

thats like the enchanter falling to their death when fly falls :P

assuming you were also charging, that adds lag and a cleric that high level should know better anyway :)

also, there is enough time to abort AND walk out on a switch :)

(why hadnt he cursed mippy then blinded him anywho? :P)

*hug*
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue May 16, 2006 4:32 pm

I'd also suggest using a blinding weapon when exping on switching mobs. If you have a 2h blinder, use it until the mob is blind, then switch to your big guns :)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue May 16, 2006 5:41 pm

How the fuck did this even get posted? Your cleric should be smart enough to:

1) Wear equipment
2) Have an abort;flee alias
3) Have a trigger to move in and out of the room if a switch occurs during exp.

Crying about a failed rescue is a pure sign of idiocy.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue May 16, 2006 5:44 pm

Vigis wrote:I'd also suggest using a blinding weapon when exping on switching mobs. If you have a 2h blinder, use it until the mob is blind, then switch to your big guns :)

Vigis pulls out a 2h blinder from his golf bag of many swords.

But yeah I think you said you had 2 clerics? if so do blind curse/blind runs until it's blind, no need to charge just rescue until it's blind. oh an remember shit happens.

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Fibble
Sojourner

Postby Fibble » Tue May 16, 2006 6:55 pm

Why didn't the other cleric drop a fh on one that was getting beat on?
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Re: more information

Postby Llaaldara » Tue May 16, 2006 10:59 pm

Abbayarra wrote:Cleric who died was 46th, lost level to 45th.
He was casting at the time so was not afk. He was not armored or vitted to the best of my knowledge.
My rescue is around 85, I'm a 45th level anti. This was the only double fail on rescue all night.
I don't have great equipment although I have a good shield.
I actually failed 2 rescues, one right off of switch, the cleric died in the second round. The cleric had aborted after the first round and failed flee.
We were fighting the captain.

Next time just say, "Shit happens."
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed May 17, 2006 12:42 am

I'm going to 2nd Ryan and Brian here.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Wed May 17, 2006 4:45 pm

Fibble wrote:Why didn't the other cleric drop a fh on one that was getting beat on?

The second cleric failed QC on a fheal. They said that when the first cleric died they were on the last star of the spell.
Don't have a blinding sword in my inventory.
They reason posted is the first cleric and the invoker said that if I'm the only tank in the room that I have to be bashing and not mounted. I do know that the clerics had been cursing and blinding, just this fight they had not had success at that point in time in the fight in getting blind to land after curse.
We were trying something different, we were not stopping in fighting to mem, we were mass killing. I usually handle the cursing because for me it is a higher circle(lands more often) than for the cleric and thus I start fights with it.
btw, my illusionist has an abort/flee trigger on switch
Last edited by Abbayarra on Wed May 17, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Wed May 17, 2006 4:48 pm

Wow, can't this one just get chalked up to 'bad luck' and call it good?

I think everyone knows that the purpose of exp is to NOT DIE while getting the most exp possible for yourself. Since this is the case with this group, nobody was to blame for anyone elses death. In exp, if you die, its your own darn fault :)

My 2c, not the 2c of the staff.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Wed May 17, 2006 5:10 pm

No reason that cleric should have died unless they were wearing no EQ, had like 300 hps (and got crit'd to the max) in which case they deserve to die, especially if they are blaming someone else for his/her death due to their own stupidity and bad luck.

At the very least s/he could have worded.

It's only exp, after all...
Futaz
Sojourner

Postby Futaz » Sun May 21, 2006 1:40 am

The Cleric in question is an experienced warrior. The Cleric also had a -99 AC and over 400 hp.

I disagree with the answer that anti should be mounted if he is the only tank. If is the tank and has spellcaster he should bash so the spellcasters can cast their spells. He had two cleric with him and does not trust them to keep him healthy.

This is not the only time members of his "team" has died from this tactic of staying mounted. It has gotten so bad that one team member switch to being a warrior so someone would bash. Which has greatly decrease the death rate in the party.

Doing xp a tank that is bashing is the standard tactic. I don't see any reason why a anti-paladin should be excused from doing his duty.
Futaz Ul'Saruk de'Dubluth Kyor
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun May 21, 2006 2:31 am

anytime I've ever xp'd on ship as chanter or cleric with a paladin or Anti, I just pay attention when he switches. -99 ac is pretty lame btw. You can wear 200 points of ac, then you get your agi, spells, etc bonus. -99 is very easy for 50+ mobs to whack
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun May 21, 2006 1:25 pm

If you dont know that a-p are better tanks mounted and ASSUME they should bash, its your bad if you die ...

If I am just silly and dont rememebr, Miplit is a warrior mob that tracks?? Been a while but .. yeah he still is ... (IE: not a caster so no need to bash to avoid spells)

Most ship groups avoid casters (mages) so they can practice their 2h? Or am I missing the plot totally

Having 2 clerics, shaman and a VARIETY of other mage classes, I think any caster who can't flee with that kind of eq, errm .. yeah better off dead :P
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Itasha
Sojourner

Postby Itasha » Sun May 21, 2006 2:38 pm

Oh sheesh!

I'm a cleric. Maybe not the best cleric, but when/if I die in XP (and yes.. I did the almost required got ress/tried to solo XP an 8% buffer/died and lost level.) I chalk it up to bad luck and go from there unless it was something REALLY stupid that got me killed. Then I'll gripe, pick up and carry on.

My AC is -92 w/o spells, I always forget to self vit (Or just get tired of doing it), but I don't really die that often. (Laughs) In fact I think I can say that 99% of the deaths I've had have been my own dang fault. Oh and I'm a drow with 400+ non-spelled hps.

It is my understanding that being mounted adds to the AP/Pals AC as well as damage. Also charge has the possibility of stun. It only makes sense for him to play to HIS skills. Oh and as far as blinding.. if the clerics can't get blinds off, can AP not blind poison??? Heck, I've been known to get in a rythm with mobs that bash if we don't have a basher, just watch for the standups, and cast short cast heals if needed.

And as far as Miplit goes.. that bugger hits HARD, so yeah, folding like a broken card table doesn't surprise me. On switches from him I usually start loosing HPs fast, but can manage to get away.

Bad luck. (shrug)

Oh and ask the guys who have tanked for me... most of the time I completely rely on their skills to rescue me, and have ended up tanking several fights to the end. (grin) Go warrior cleric! (cackles insanely)
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun May 21, 2006 7:42 pm

3) Roll a real tank
4) Practice rescue
5) Blame Pril
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon May 22, 2006 2:38 pm

Gormal wrote:4) Practice rescue
5) Blame Pril

agreed on these 2 points, just because you are "an experienced warrior" does mean you know what the heck you are doing, case in point Pril.

Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon May 22, 2006 2:43 pm

I have and do exp with Onut, course he's level 50 and has some capped skills, imo he's a very good tank, not sure why people say anti's aren't because my experiences have been other wise. Now is the anti the best tank for all situations? of course not, but then again neither is a troll, wave some fire at them and you'll see what I mean. Futaz is a good tank, and he's a hit point challenged drow. Heck I've tanked pship as a dire (with stones of course) and my bash sucks, but i managed.

Teshidee
Sojourner

Postby Teshidee » Tue May 23, 2006 5:28 pm

rofl.

that's all!
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue May 23, 2006 6:25 pm

Bashing anti < 2h warrior
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”