Armor Class -

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Armor Class -

Postby Vipplin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:08 pm

Ok I can't find a thread on it, could have sworn there had been one a while back. Anyway, can someone please explain how ac currently works?

I THINK I heard people say that you could get -100 from just armor, then go below that with spells and/or agility. Is this correct? If so, can all classes do this? Is -100 the limit for just armor?

Thanks for any clarification!
Iyced / Torgu / Iysor
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:13 am

Assuming a character has 100 agility:

Illithid/Ogre 8 AC
Duergar/Mountain Dwarf/Orc, Human, Barbarian 30 ac
Halfling/Half-elf 38 AC
Gnome/Troll 45 AC
Yuan-ti/Grey elf/Drow 51 AC

--------

200 points maximum for worn eq.

So an Ogre's maximum AC without spells is -108, whereas a Yuan-ti decked out without spells is -151 AC. Then the spells stack from there according to a post from shev awhile back. Same thing for a paladin tho, with armor spell and fully eq'd. (30 AC armor spell, 30 AC Agility bonus, 200 AC worn = -160 ac) etc. Is that what you meant?

On a side note, it appears blur and barkskin cancel each other out. When wraithform pet (innate blurred - since blur helpfile explains you can't use blur on them) has barkskin cancelled, they tank about the same as a corporeal pet (crappy) I'm not sure or not, but so far, they get hit about the same %. It's definitely not a good thing to barkskin a wraithform pet.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:03 am

I don't believe innate blur is the correct terminology. Wraithform mobs generally have 1/3rd the hps and are harder to hit with melee(probably due to well wraithform :p).

Perhaps barkskin makes a wraithform more corporeal and easier to hit. Feature?

Perhaps barkskin shouldn't be able to be cast upon something without a form.
Oversight?
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:13 am

Hah I remember when I first started grouping with folks for xp at high level and got into big trouble for barking a shaman's spirit pet. I was told in no uncertain terms to never ever bark wraithform because it makes them corporeal. Ahh...the good ol' days....
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:57 am

Iirc can't scale wraithforms either .. same reasoning applies

I THOUGHT i read somewhere that spells don't stack, but they sure as hell seem to in practice :) -100 AC THEN barked/armored seems MUCH better than -100AC NOT barked or armored :)

and noob grey elf with perf agil has natural 49 AC, think it goes to 45 with noob load gear

*sniffs* for MA1A :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:14 pm

bark and armor spells definitely stack.

I was told by several people that -150 ac was the best you could get period, but I dont really think that is true. I definitely noticed a difference in tanking while wearing over -150 ac in eq, and then tossing a spell or two on top.

Personally, I think it caps somewhere around -200 ac.
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:19 pm

This quote from Shev a while back might also help understand AC..

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI: We already have AC damage absorption. :)

Some nice ideas and discussion in this thread, keep it coming!

quote from..

http://www.torilmud.dyndns.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10282&highlight=
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Ambar wrote:and noob grey elf with perf agil has natural 49 AC, think it goes to 45 with noob load gear

Thilindel wrote:Assuming a character has 100 agility:

Illithid/Ogre 8 AC
Duergar/Mountain Dwarf/Orc, Human, Barbarian 30 ac
Halfling/Half-elf 38 AC
Gnome/Troll 45 AC
Yuan-ti/Grey elf/Drow 51 AC

That's what I'd said =)
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:17 pm

I have always been told that anything less than -100 was of no benefit, but have never experimented with it. i know if a tank is at -100 they rarely if ever ask for bark or armor....so I'm not the only one who thinks this. I hope someone will invest a lot of time and effort into finding out an answer to this and then just tell us the results ;)

In one of the old versions of D&D you couldn't get better than -100 ac
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I was on track. So this is one of those 'mystery' things we're not allowed to know the answer to? Alrighty then!

Time to look for more AC!! I think Torgu only has about 150 worth from armor thus far.
Iyced / Torgu / Iysor
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:41 am

You can get 200 ac from worn eq/spells; so you can only go down to -100 technically.

However, one aspect of the agility stat is to contribute a certain amount of AC which can take you down below -100. AC past -100 DOES matter at least on some very high level mobs.

Using a grey elf with perfect agility and several thousands of rounds against a very high level mob pre combat changes 1 year or so ago, I recorded almost a 50% miss rate at the theoretical "-151" ac. Taking 21 points of ac off I recorded a 33% miss rate at "-130". At -100 ac on the nose, I recorded a 10% miss rate. Some mobs may have more +hit and "ignore" ac, but there is most definitely "ac" beyond -100 and it does most definitely affect mobs.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:10 pm

I believe air elementals are very hard to hit because they have phenomenal agility in accordance with Kiryan's description of AC. I use to get told bark ruined spirit AC aswell... shrug, I havn't tested it. I love AC conspiracy, should be more mystery! :)
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”