Tel'arato Dagor en Halda'cuu (RP GAMES): Feedback wanted!

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Lilira
Sojourner

Tel'arato Dagor en Halda'cuu (RP GAMES): Feedback wanted!

Postby Lilira » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:18 pm

Hi guys!

This isn't a promise, its a request though. We've received numerous requests to try this again, but we really need everyone's help.

For those of you who participated last time: WE NEED FEEDBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not compliments! We've had several and are very appreciative of them, but they aren't gonna help us improve the games. We won't get mad! Honest!!!

Games: What did you guys like.. what did you guys hate?
Judging: What could we have done better?
Prizes: We're unsure of the previous system using eq prizes. Anyone have a better idea?

For those who DID NOT participate: Why? Any constructive ideas about what would have talked you into playing?

Please. We would like honest feedback.

I'll start!

Games: LOVED CAPTURE THE FLAG!!! I have to say as a judge that was my all time fave.

Judging: More judges imo. *grin*

Prizes: My head reels at the thought of going out and replenishing that pile of loot.

Overall I have to say... I WANT EVILS TO COME PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and please post here so we're not juggling pposts and emails and IMs Oh my! Thanks!
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:21 am

We were talking about this the other day, and if I could run just one game again, it would definitely be Capture the Flag.

I was also putting serious consideration into a rough idea so far for a mud version of King of the Hill... and no, not the redneck cartoon.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Morsic
Sojourner

Postby Morsic » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:52 am

Could you explain a little more what you're talking about in general, from the context clues of the matter I have a general idea but I haven't been around that long and wondering what exactly you're talking about.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:23 am

See this thread for more information pertaining to the first games: http://www.torilmud.dyndns.org/phpBB2/v ... hp?t=17208

Capture the Flag: Excellent game, however giving people doors to be able to close is a bit unfair.

Race: Would have been better if we weren't told the final destination. Also I would suggest perhaps having things to pickup instead of having to stop at a judge to make sure you were passing checkpoints. This would prevent teleporting hopefully as well.

Trivia: Should have been 2-part same as the scavenger hunt. Give a few questions for people to figure out around the mud and have answers written to hand in before the spur-of-the-moment questions.

Poetry submissions: For the required, choose 1 story to make each team retell, then allow 3-4 different story-themes for the free form(basically you'd want to end up with 4-5 poems/storyline to judge against eachother). I think it's awful hard to judge one poem that tells a story from an entirely different story/poem.

Equipment rewards: Were far more than I was expecting. The !stat items were a nice touch as well.

Overall RP etc.: Obviously this was the best part of it. I hope more people decide to really try to get a feel for a character and actually try to stick to that character's motives etc.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:48 pm

The poetry we reaped out of that challenge was amazing. I have to say, Kadislan took me completely by surprise with that fantastic work of his. The only disappointing aspect of it was having to judge them knowing there could only be so many winners, and those who didn't win might not realize the depth of enjoyment we got out of reading their pieces, too.

As for the trivia challenge... I'd be hard pressed to find the kind of information we had in that one if we did another trivia game. That info was culled from all my quest notes, from all the years I've played here, along with Heather's, Rachael's, and Ellen's. To do another one like that would mean we'd have to make Rachael pull out every note she's ever written this time. Although... now that you mention it... To do a challenge in the format of "In the City of Calimport, who is the literary "Fat Cow."" might be fun, if we passed out the list of questions a couple of days in advance. People would have to go read descriptions they might have never bothered with previously. Actually, that does sound like an interesting prospect.

Capture the Flag. If we did that again, we'd need the same help from the staff that we received last time, and we'd have to do it in the same area, or one very similar. The "no doors" will be taken into account, but you can hardly beat that zone for what it offered for the game.

The footrace. The point was to not give people the destination, so they would HAVE to walk the paths and find their way. I'd even like to include the signs again... just make sure you don't get caught this time! As for putting down items to find, instead of judges to tag; the reason behind that was this, although we encouraged cheating, even in an RP sense we had to acknowledge that it would be far too easy for one person to gather every item in the room, and leave none for the others following, thus ensuring their victory far too easily.

Please give us all the input you can on the Arena games. I think those were the most challenging, and sometimes the most frustrating, to host. There were many aspects of these games that all three of us were dissatisfied with after they were done. I'm fairly sure Rachael kept extensive notes on all the arguing and debating that went into those games between the three of us, so we should have some ideas of how to make them better in the future.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Gruy
Sojourner

Postby Gruy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:50 pm

do it again and you can count on at least 1 evil being there;) i loved the games last time and hope to hear more updates and a time for start.. favortie games last time were poetry and the arena fights.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:53 pm

Ashiwi wrote:The footrace. The point was to not give people the destination, so they would HAVE to walk the paths and find their way.

That's what I'm saying, we were told the ending point in Menden before we started.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Morsic
Sojourner

Postby Morsic » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:08 am

Well i just read last years thread on the whole thing. Sounds really cool I hope you're capable of doing such a thing again even though I couldn't really partake but fun excitement is always good even if you're not included.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:26 pm

I didn't play in the first and don't remember why, guess I have nothing to add so posted edited.
Last edited by Latreg on Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:31 pm

This thread isn't to post specifics of what we're planning to do, its to ask people's opinions. By all means if you can remember why you didn't come play, please let us know. We can't improve if we don't know what needs it.

Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'

Liran
Sojourner

Postby Liran » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:19 pm

I wasnt able to participate in last years games as much as I would of liked to, but that also led to some interesting and exciting situations.
Either way, had a lot of fun doing it, and would love to see it happen again.

The only comment I can come up with is regarding the footrace.
I think the idea of using signs for directions can be improved upon. Is the race supposed to show off knowledge of the mud, and its realative geography? All the signs do is turn the participants into a drone following a preplanned path, like a mouse in a little maze for a 2nd grade science project ;)

My suggestion, set it up like a rally/amazing race thing. Teams are given a written clue/riddle of their next checkpoint and the teams race to figure out the puzzle and get there. When the first (complete) team arrives at the each checkpoint, the clock starts, and as the next (complete) teams arrive they are penalized the time difference between themself and the first team. The corrisponding clock does not stop until the last member of that team arrives. At that point the complete team is given the next clue, repeat. Their times are added together for a total time.

This will show knowledge and navigation of the mud, rather then just pointing a finger in the random direction you think they should run.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:41 pm

spin sign!
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:10 am

Id love to try games, and id even help collect some of the prizes, let me know.
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:12 pm

The one reason I didn't participate was because of the poetry.

I have to write all day long, I don't have the mental stamina to do it for fun.

And yeah, I could've participated in the other events, but I would've been so far behind just from the lack of poetry that I wasn't interested--I'm far too competitive to be satisfied otherwise.

Not all people find the different aspects of the first Games engaging--some find the games engaging, some find the Arena engaging, some love to write poetry... not everyone likes to do all of them.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:38 pm

Birile hon.. that's why we had three man teams. Shove it onto someone else. *wink*

Personal submissions were an option.

Liran wrote:My suggestion, set it up like a rally/amazing race thing. Teams are given a written clue/riddle of their next checkpoint and the teams race to figure out the puzzle and get there. When the first (complete) team arrives at the each checkpoint, the clock starts, and as the next (complete) teams arrive they are penalized the time difference between themself and the first team. The corrisponding clock does not stop until the last member of that team arrives. At that point the complete team is given the next clue, repeat. Their times are added together for a total time.

I LIKE this idea.. see if we can sequester the judges again so teams are still required to run it, but have the judge give out the riddle. (rubs her hands gleefully) Oh and the chances for cheating is still there! Muahaha... gotta think on it. However.. the clock thing, while its a good idea I'm against it just because of all the extra work it entails. (Last time we did this we literally gave up life for a solid month.) Just make it so the first complete team that crosses the line wins.

Thanks for the input and keep the posts coming.
Last edited by Lilira on Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:11 am

Birile, that's also why we worked so hard to include games that touched on just about every aspect of the game. We didn't want to give too much of an advantage to just the hardcore zoners, we wanted to spread out the challenge among all the different types who play. One of the things we discussed at the outset was the fact that if anybody totally hosed in one challenge, they could more than make up for it in all the other challenges.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:43 am

Birile wrote: not everyone likes to do all of them.

I do. There were plenty of people who only contributed on a small scale to the games, but they did make a difference(judges thx).

Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

omg

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:20 am

Trivia: Awesome

Poetry: Awesome

RP: Awesome

Race: I like Liran's idea, but keep the !magic rule. People HAVE TO run.

Arena stuff: All cool, maybe add an event where players have to solo or team kill 1 mob, then a harder one, etc etc.

Scavengers: Excellent

Rewards: Like Twyl said, way more than what I expected, excellent.

Company of the Onyx Gargoyle > FaCtOr!

P. S. Do it again or Danila will get mad and stop touching you three.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:01 am

I like the !magic rule only because you can still cheat if you wanted. Though I'm all for something that could hold people up (like a mystery clue at each station) kind of like a survivor challenge or something. Like first one to slay a beast and get its item at one station, first one to search this small area for one of 10 hidden items, first one to make it through 3 passworded doors at this station (different colored portals for each team and after the riddle doors a new portal that sets them back on track). Oh man this would be SO much more fun.

The capture the flag was awesome, but our team kinda got the shaft in the arena with the throne room. Its far and away the hardest room to defend if only because it has no doors (but also more exits, more paths in, and the water tunnels too, plus its central.)

Scavenger Hunt: I loved the idea of 2 different hunts, and they both were great fun.

PS - Don't be jealous that we crushed you Adriorn! FaCtOr! will rise again.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:36 am

Gormal wrote:The capture the flag was awesome, but our team kinda got the shaft in the arena with the throne room. Its far and away the hardest room to defend if only because it has no doors (but also more exits, more paths in, and the water tunnels too, plus its central.)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (deep breath) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Sorry Gormy.. couldn't help it. *grin* You guys still did great and won the challenge. I still loved that challenge the most.

I do like the idea of hidden items and stuff at each check in for the foot-race but everyone please remember, we were trying to do as much as we could with minimal Imm assistance, (we still very much appreciate the assistance we received) but the whole point was a player run RP event. If those who participated would notice, the footrace stuff was filled with items that could be done ahead of time so they didn't HAVE to sit with us (though most of the time they did anyway in case we needed to screech for help). :-) My lovely stack of notes is growing please keep the feedback/ideas coming!

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:53 pm

Why not make the next one have more imm assistance then. This is a huge benefit for the whole mud and any of the imms could contribute.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:34 am

I > Capture the Flag. FaCtOr!
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Gormal
Sojourner

Re: Tel'arato Dagor en Halda'cuu (RP GAMES): Feedback wanted!

Postby Gormal » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:05 am

Bump.

Get to work ladies.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:56 am

I'd happily put in the many, many hours of work to set up and run another Tel'Arato with Sotana and Heather if Shev would at least consider negotiating restrings for such a roleplay intense event. I've offered to write background stories on every restring allowed. I've given countless reasons why allowing them for something like this would be a good idea. It's not like I'm requesting a restring for myself.

Could we do it without the restrings? Of course we could, but anybody should be able to see the logic behind why they would not only be appropriate for the venue, but also why offering a few restring top tier items would be FAR more encouraging than just putting up the same old stuff almost everybody already has.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:23 am

Restrings are the simplest way to reward people in a game flooded with equipment, and it hasn't been done in a long time.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:37 pm

I want more than restrings folks...

I want interest.

Because busting our butts working this out (and we had a ton of help from RPQ last time as well) will be absolutely worthless if only two people participate.

Seriously. Make some noise. If people want another Tel'arato Dagor en Halda'cuu, send tells to Ashiwi/Sotana and I, ICQ us if you have them, post here... but I want some excitement. If we get enough, I'll talk to the other ladies about trying for it in the fall. Months instead of weeks for planning this time because I know the three of us are a little more busy IRL than previously.

Talk it up.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:00 pm

This was a really really fun time. There's no obligation to participate in the events that you don't want to, but sticking it out for the whole 2 weeks was awesome fun.
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:15 pm

For those of you who are unsure of what we're asking you to get excited about, check out these threads:

From the beginning to the end
A few more details

I think there may be a few more relevant threads lurking out there but those two should be enough to give you a good idea of the games we played. And, really, who can play games better than 3 women? *cackle*
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:04 pm

It was awesome the first time, and I'm sure it'll be great again. I agree 100% with Gormal on the restrings as rewards. I'll be glad to help with whatever is needed, and participate again, of course. It was fun seeing FaCtOr almost lose to me. (flee)
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:24 am

I would actually log on to participate in this again.

Me, Doug, Jake....FaCtoR! WOO!

We totally pwned in Acheron too...that was a blast.

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:00 pm

Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:17 pm

I have a suggestion for a new competition:

First team to find 500 similarities between Lilithelle, Pava, and Teflor.

Hours of fun!
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:06 am

Similarity #1....none of them like you.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”