Toril's Compression Code -- It's buggy

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Yarash
Sojourner

Toril's Compression Code -- It's buggy

Postby Yarash » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:02 am

This has been happening for years now, but a friend who doesn't play here but logs in to chat sometimes recently reminded me of the problem.

Bodeb tells you '50% of the time I get 'Pardon?' when trying to reply'

This is a result of the compression code. The code is supposed to compress data sent between the mud and players who have compression enabled setups. Users without such setups are supposed to be unaffected, and have a standard gaming experience.

For those who don't understand, ever since the compression code was installed, there have been some problems getting command input to go through without being garbaged up.

Prior to the compression code being installed, on every mud I played, commands would always go through 100% of the time. After the compression code was installed, about 5% to 10% of the commands entered are garbaged up, which is a huge percentage, especially for speedwalking, where hundreds of commands are sent.

What do I mean by garbaged up? That's when you type a command, without any typos or spelling errors, and the response from the mud is "Pardon?". Another symptom is when you or someone is walking around, and you or the person keeps using the "veto" command. This happens when "e" is typed to move east, and the compression code craps up the command by putting a v in front of it.

This problem affects some people, while other people are not affected. Personally, the mcclient proxy software suggested in the motd resulted in many crashes and lock-ups on my computer, which was worse than the commands getting crapped up.

Related links:
http://www.torilmud.org:8080/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=

- Mike
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:43 am

Wierd noone have written about this before. This is the first time I hear about it.

I think this is a major issue. It reminds a little about the issue where europeans was cut from the mud, it was ignored, and evils never fully recovered the loss.

Often when I check out a new mud I just click that telnet link on some homepage and mud a little in the command prompt. (Just to find out how cool toril is ofcourse).

3rd party software should not be nessesary for users, even if compression means less mud lag to the rest of us.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:12 pm

I think we have just gotten used to it. NOt that its not an issue, we just all get used to stuff like this .. also it doesnt send commands sometimes, you have to send them twice ..

A play for free game that you need no client for? Doubt it!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:22 pm

Good info, now I finally understand why I kept vetoing stuff! Thanks Yarash!

Does this affect users who don't use compression? IE: Telnet/TF/WhateverClinet users?
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:14 pm

Odd, I haven't had any problems with the mcclient compression software.
I wonder if its something to do with some network card settings.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:23 pm

with different cards in different computers? doubtful
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:07 am

Ambar wrote:.. also it doesnt send commands sometimes, you have to send them twice ..

I experience this on a daily basis as well.

Gormal wrote:Does this affect users who don't use compression? IE: Telnet/TF/WhateverClinet users?

Yes.

- Mike
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:50 am

Entering compressed mode.

Frankly, have zero problems with sending commands. Rarely, I may see an MCCP error from recieved text.

I thought the MCCP protocal zMUD uses was unidirectional anwyay:http://www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/mcp.htm
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:06 pm

Since upgrading to 7.21 I haven't had any problems either.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:23 am

I maybe miss 1 in 1000+ commands using the stand alone MCCP client and zmud 555.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Mirlantharn
Sojourner

Postby Mirlantharn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:42 am

I myself get it even from different telnet clients, so it's not just a mud client issue. But I seem to get it much more often than what everyone else here is reporting.

Mirlantharn

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”