I heard in 2.0 they plan to reboot

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
loshaenar
Sojourner

I heard in 2.0 they plan to reboot

Postby loshaenar » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:58 am

half joking title, semi serious post.

The issue of up times for the mud has been a constant for as long as I can recall here, and yet never really been addressed. This post itself is a bit of a vent but i'd like to offer 1 alternative and see if it can generate a bit of interest from the rest of u while you wait for another 7 RL days pass b4 the mud is booted.

1. I, like many people, have a number of chars. I devote a lot of my time when i'm not teaching, and even then i sneak on at times, to being on here and trying to do something.

2. I'm not on during prime EST etc because i live abroad, fine. So if the admins to boot, I generally don't see that either. fine.

3. Many folks here have got to the point where the amount of zone eq they need is limited. REALLY limited. So it's quest or chat really. Maybe trade if anyones about. Of course with many folks all hunting the same crap when it does actually boot..questing is a limited enterprise.

all in all it adds to toril becoming an increasingly frustrating experience for some players (myself included) at times. I love the fact that so much interest and energy has been channeled into what kind of font has been used in the 3.5 monstrous compendium volume 4 etc. But can we please get a little love thrown back to the present?

What it be possible...call me crazy..but would it be possible to actually reverse the situation as it is now. So for example, the mud actually HAD to reboot automatically every 40 hours. And to keep the mud up...for other crap like tia, bc, magma...or some other random crap... you actually had to a quest in game to make it so... You know..like fulfill some quest to make an eclipse or somethin..and the mud stays up another 20 hours to do their stuff.

The questers would have something to look forward to. The 7-11s who sit under the inn with their autobeeps could continue to do what they do best. The zoners would know when the next peak activity time would be....

seriously... long boots suck donkeys...everyone agrees...why not just do something about it. sooner rather than 2.0 (ie. later).

tai, bong, alv etc.
Drogga
Sojourner

Postby Drogga » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:24 am

make it 50hrs.... i need some space to exp more alts! lol

1-4hrs - rare hunting
4-30hrs - zoning
30-50hrs - exping
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:02 am

Even 70 hrs would be fine would let us exp more and finish all the zones we may wanna do so that we're not only doing end game zones, TF etc need some love too. However, Time elapsed since boot-up: 79:24:27, 80 hrs into boot is extreme if ya ask me. Shrug just seems like people get fed up of waiting for boot around 65-70 hrs need to strike some sort ba;ance in boot length/zoning/people saying screw it i'll ceck back in 5 days to see if they booted.

Shrug,
Pril
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:20 pm

Why not make rares load over a boot? I never seen an imm address this point ever.

It's about expected value. Say we agree 80 hours is a "reasonable" boot time. And right now a rare loads 10% of the time at boot. Why can't we set the load rate to be like .5% which checks every hour, so at 80 hours the expected load rate is 10% over that 80 hours? I forgot the exact formula, been awhile since I took statistics.

It is pretty boring loging in and if !zone time, or even if it is zone time the ONE time a day it is and say you're not in the group there isn't anything to do. At least if rares load over a boot you can occupy yourself checking stuff and maybe get lucky.

I agree w/tais
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:22 pm

I will answer this, for all the futility that such a response engenders.

There are limited staff able to reboot the MUD.

I tend to start eyeballing a reboot at around 65-70 hours of uptime. We hit that time yesterday. My available time at the computer yesterday was VERY limited and each time I looked, something was happening. Orcish Halls of Plunder, Izan's, Finn Keep, etc. Zoning was happening, and I'm sorry that it interfered with your rarehunting. I simply didn't have time to sit around and wait for those areas to be finished.

Rare loading is handled on an area by area basis. Some areas use boot-length loading, some use boot time loading. There's no single approach used to manage rareloads.

I play too, I know the aggravation of seeing something doesn't load, or losing a race to a rare, and being stuck for another 60+ hours before able to check again. Unfortunately, other playing happens throughout these long boots and therefore, long boots need to stay.
Eilistraee
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:41 pm

So make a global echo voting system tied to autoreboot. Tally votes, if a certain percentage doesn't get reached, don't reboot.

Ifin, the stance of areas of late is ... because no one is around to give a stance. That might be the bigger issue.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:38 pm

Actually, why not have a system that global echos whether a god is on or not to AUTOREBOOT while during offtime, say 5am or something. A player could possibly offset it by a command if they are CR'g or something. So at 4 am, global AUTOREBOOT in 1 hour. then at 50 minutes, 40, 30, 15, 10, 5 etc.

Maybe have player petition 'CR'g' postpone the autoreboot by 5 minutes each time they enter it.

For the last year and probably more, the uptimes here are horrific.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:19 am

Please please please change this as people are talking about or add code to reload non-occupied zones if possible. It'd be an easy execution thread to add.....

My rogue has been searching for Gor for a month and I haven't seen him.....only being able to check 2x per RL week really sucks and adds ZERO challenge to the game.

If the game would randomly reload 2 zones per 10 hours, would it really change anything other than add more rarechecking interest or possibly revisiting a zone 2x in a day? I can only xp my 7th char to lvl 50 with so much excitement. :(
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:21 pm

Ifin wrote:Why not make rares load over a boot? I never seen an imm address this point ever.

I've seen this addressed several times and each time it came down to, "It's up to the people who write the areas to use the load-over-time method."

My understanding is that the code exists already, but this is an artistic integrity issue - they don't want to implement changes in zones without permission from the writers. Thus it's easiest for them if the zone is written like GC from the start.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 am

Imms should do a simple pro/con, work-to-benefit analysis then. If they do and still can't see it, then I don't know what to say.

But ofc judging from the emphasis on 2.0, Tia, how long it's taken (which probably isn't very long given it's over-reaching target) and other probably better better work-to-benefit projects that could've been done, I woudln't be surprised.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 pm

[quote="Thilindel"]Actually, why not have a system that global echos whether a god is on or not to AUTOREBOOT while during offtime, say 5am or something. A player could possibly offset it by a command if they are CR'g or something. So at 4 am, global AUTOREBOOT in 1 hour. then at 50 minutes, 40, 30, 15, 10, 5 etc.
quote]

probably because you'd know that no imms were on and thus cheat
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:01 pm

Ifin wrote:Imms should do a simple pro/con, work-to-benefit analysis then. If they do and still can't see it, then I don't know what to say.

I don't really understand what specific issue you are addressing with this post. If it's in response to rare loading, my understanding is that there is no extra work involved, but the imm who writes a zone has to make choices regarding load style.

Really, it's easy to see why an imm wouldn't want their zone to load over time, if that carries the danger of the gear being available more than once per boot. We already have gear flooding issues. It is undeniable that more availability means more of that gear around. This is unavoidable unless the zone is going to be as badass as magma or BC, in which case getting skilled and willing players together to do the zone becomes the limiting factor.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”